ADVERTISEMENT

Paul Thomas might be one of the Greats!

My opinion wasn't solely based on what I heard from his camp, it was also based on what I saw. All Miner, if your 7th grade son is 6'8 can shoot and drive like a guard,defend,rebound,Dominate against some of the best high school players in the country etc... then it would be the same scenario, but I'm guessing thats not the case so you can't compare the two. I see your point and your right it's a might and If, but I have more to base my reason for these high hopes then Joey 7 th grader who stands a towering 5'5 and plays with heart!

My Concern is that Paul Thomas is a wing. Either Moore or Morris (if they both start) will also play wing. Flaggert, Winn, McSwiggan, also the same position.

Who is going to do the dirty work on this team next year? Willms and Vint are too soft. Losing Lang and Hunter is devastating to our inside presence.

Yes, I forgot that you've seen Thomas play, which is cool. I just didn't like that those posters twisted your post around. Its done a lot around here. Actually I'm in the same camp as they are, that is I'll reserve all judgement until they actually enroll and start fall practice. Hope for the best until then. Easy to post that opinion without spinning your post with illogical sarcasm as chuck did.

Lol sorry allminer I thought the 7th grade reference was made tongue n cheek as well, but yes point is valid on both ends, let's just wait n see how goos he becomes, but I do like his upside and skill set

More now than ever, I hope the title of this thread turns out to be prophetic. We will once again be very young, inexperienced and unproven. Not necessarily a bad thing if the guys can gel, but historically speaking, not a great thing either...at least for the next year or two. Some of us old fuqs who got a taste of the times when a small crowd in the Don (SEC) was 10.5K, and an annual date at the Dance was damn near imminent, need something more than what the oft and overly traveled memory lane has to offer. I don't give a shit who gets us there, it would be nice to taste even just half of that success again.

Originally posted by STCarlosEP:
Awesome. Did he play for UTEP last year? Ever played D1 before? Any of you seen him play in person?

I'll hold off judgement till he enrolls in classes and assaults Sul Ross St before he's the savior of UTEP hoops.
just curious why you always have to be so shitty? momma didn't love your or something?

I like going to the NCAA Tournament and winning big games. I don't like people talking about how great a recruit might be, especially since they have yet to play a single D1 game. Here we're gonna go with another excuse year that I will hey anyone here that UTEP is not making the NCAA tourney. That will be 6 straight years.

So the reason that I am so "crappy" is because teams with less money and support get to the Tourney and win big games. Texas Southern beat Michigan St this year, on the road! When was the last time UTEP beat a Final 4 participant? I don't know why I ask because no one will answer.

No one will take that bet Carlos and no one thinks Utep will go to the NCAA now that Vince left, why act like your all of the sudden the only realist and everyone stares through rainbow lenses! I didn't say Thomas will bring us to prosperity next year I said he has the tools to one day be a Miner Great, Pay Attention and stay on track. I thought this team had a chance to be a little better offensively had Vince returned, but obviously my expectations have changed, but ill still be a Miner Fan and hoping next year is better than what most will expect.

Why can Texas Southern, who averages under 1000 fans per game, plays in a dumpy arena, and plays in a garbage conference, beat Final 4 teams but UTEP can't? Why don't you take the time to find out the last time UTEP beat a team like that? Are you afraid of what the answer is?

Why can Texas Southern, who averages under 1000 fans per game, plays in a dumpy arena, and plays in a garbage conference, beat Final 4 teams but UTEP can't? Why don't you take the time to find out the last time UTEP beat a team like that? Are you afraid of what the answer is?
Right because Texas Southern does that every year. UTEP has beat sweet 16 teams in 2 consecutive years (Tennessee and Xavier). Those were pretty big games.

Originally posted by LaserCoog:
Originally posted by El Paso Chihuahuas:

Why don't you take the time to find out the last time UTEP beat a team like that? Are you afraid of what the answer is?
Memphis
The question was when, not who.
That solves it: You are Carlos.
laugh.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 4/13 2:02 PM by El Paso Chihuahuas

UTEP did not beat Memphis the year they went to the Final 4 Chi. Better edit your answer so you're not proven wrong. TSU beat Michigan St this year.

Picksup,

While the Miners did beat Xavier and Tennessee on neutral courts, what else did they do? Made the CBI and NIT and lost. Texas Southern beat Michigan St on the road AND made the NCAA Tournament. So who had the better season?

Picksup,

While the Miners did beat Xavier and Tennessee on neutral courts, what else did they do? Made the CBI and NIT and lost. Texas Southern beat Michigan St on the road AND made the NCAA Tournament. So who had the better season?
So those games weren't big wins? Wasn't "big wins" the main topic on your post?

Would Texas Southern make the tournament playing in C-USA? I doubt it. I'm not calling C-USA the ACC but its definitely better than the Southwestern Conference. How often does Texas State beat bigger schools? How often to they get into the tournament? Every year there's a small school that gets a big upset. They are the exceptions not the rule.

Every year small schools do pull upsets, unless your name is UTEP. Those "big wins" got us a lot ESPN time right? Xavier and Tennessee, 2 basketball powerhouses with lots of National Titles between them. I'll take a road victory over MSU over neutral court wins over XU and UT any season, ever.

Every year small schools do pull upsets, unless your name is UTEP. Those "big wins" got us a lot ESPN time right? Xavier and Tennessee, 2 basketball powerhouses with lots of National Titles between them. I'll take a road victory over MSU over neutral court wins over XU and UT any season, ever.
Backtracking now and not answering all the questions? Come on now, Chunks

Chunks? I'm in pretty good shape, but nice try????

No, they are not good wins if you end your season with First round losses in the CBI or NIT. Were XU or UT Top 25 at the time?

I think that the real question should be: If UTEP wins those kinds of games, why do they choke away ones to Marshall, MTSU, etc. Is that coaching? Because if UTEP has proven to have the talent to beat those teams, then there is no excuse on why they don't have better seasons. Barbee, Sadler and BCG took that talent and won with it. Why do we constantly fall short with Floyd?

The real question is, how can Gillispie turn it around in 2 years while inheriting Rabs mess, but Floyd just did season 5 and hasn't come close to being as successful as BG, Sadler, or Barbee.

Carlos what is your point. This post is about P Thomas.
Start your own thread.

I do believe we will be a more offensive team next year. Main reason we never had a leader.
Some of the senior players didn't feel comfortable, I don't know why.

P Thomas will deliver but not in his freshman year. We will finally get over the hump. I think
that Morris is going to be the leader next year,

GO Miners...

UTEP did not beat Memphis the year they went to the Final 4 Chi. Better edit your answer so you're not proven wrong. TSU beat Michigan St this year.
They beat them the year after they were a Final Four team- not much of a difference.

For those who will remain nameless, let me reiterate. Paul Thomas in my opinion has a chance to be a really great miner!!! Did I say Utep will set the world on Fire next year, did I say I'm not upset at the lack of progress and no NCAA appearances, or Big Wins, No the Post said PAUL THOMAS MIGHT BE ONE OF THE GREATS. We all know where Utep stands and what they have yet to accomplish, but we still hold out hope and faith, because we are Miner Fans!!! Carlos your like a Boyfriend who has lost interest in his GF and just goes around bad mouthing her and all they've been through! If your at the end and obviously Bitter and miserable just let it go man and Dump her and move on to someone else! In case you didn't catch the uptake, the GF is Utep!

This post was edited on 4/14 1:06 AM by nattybry

Remember, if you engage these Trolls, they live. Ignore them and they die.

Originally posted by El Paso Chihuahuas:

They beat them the year after they were a Final Four team- not much of a difference.
If you say so. You're beginning to sound like these homers on the board. Beating a team a year after they accomplished something, is not the same thing as beating them the same season.

When was the last time UTEP beat a team that made the Final Four????

The next troll on my ignore list! I should of done this when he classlessly called out Cantu on twitter! Some people just don't get it!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT