ADVERTISEMENT

Phil Johnson/Jeff Van Gundy

miner1liner

MI Hall of Famer
Feb 10, 2014
Coach Johnson frequently mentions conversations with Van Gundy (assume Jeff) and again last night in the post game specifically regarding how impressed he is with Miami Heat's winning streak and The Miner's turnaround. Anyone know details of their relationship and why Van Gundy would even know or care about UTEP?

Coach Johnson frequently mentions conversations with Van Gundy (assume Jeff) and again last night in the post game specifically regarding how impressed he is with Miami Heat's winning streak and The Miner's turnaround. Anyone know details of their relationship and why Van Gundy would even know or care about UTEP?
Van Gundy's UTEP connection goes back to 2012 with Floyd and I'm sure it started during their NBA days.

http://www.minerrush.com/2012/10/22/3537014/the-dig-utep-coach-jeff-van-gundy-edition

Van Gundy is a board member for some charter school in Houston, and the past couple of seasons he's talked to the team and been around before their games at Rice and has been a good influence and resource for the coaching staff it seems from the outside looking in.

Kind of annoying on mic sometimes too, but guess he's decent national voice to have in your corner?
200w.webp

Reactions: Rigo Chaparro
Lives in Houston, I'm sure he counts the staff as friends. I once drove Van Gundy from San Antonio to his home in Houston after a Spurs Suns game, when he and Shaq were feuding. He spent the entire drive on the phone with his brother harping on it. It was pretty comical.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT