ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Basketball Recruiting

I beleive the new transfer rule for mens and womens basketball entails entering your name during a 45 day window after the college basketball season ends (only exception is for a coaching change). It doesn't re-open at any other point during the off-season.
This is the first time in many years that we haven't had a full scale makeover due to transfers. If we can add a couple of experienced players, we might have a decent team next year. I like our guards quite a bit but we need a couple of good scoring and rebounding forwards to help out.

This is the first time in many years that we haven't had a full scale makeover due to transfers. If we can add a couple of experienced players, we might have a decent team next year. I like our guards quite a bit but we need a couple of good scoring and rebounding forwards to help out.
Well besides Terrell and Frazier, who would want any of the remaining players?? Those players have nowhere else to go.

Well besides Terrell and Frazier, who would want any of the remaining players?? Those players have nowhere else to go.
Camper average more points, rebounds and shot a higher percentage from 3 than Terrell. Now don't get me wrong Terrell has more upside since he was a freshman. However your argument of just those two players doesn't hold water, since Camper technically was the better player than Terrell last year.

I like Camper, Horton and Jones. They are all good pieces. Our Centers could use work, but I'm ok with keeping them. Kalu has the leg up, but if Mbengue can protect the rim and rebound then I would expect him to contribute a lot. Hamilton looked pretty decent towards the end of the season. He brings a good change of pace off the bench.

Unless Terrell takes a pretty big leap at PG, I think we need and upperclassmen transfer PG that can come in and lead the team. A playmaker that can score and get our other guys the ball in good scoring situations. We can't hope to rely on a freshman and an unproven sophmore because they have a lot of upside.

Also it's OBVIOUS that we need another forward. We only have one guy that I would consider a PF and that's Jones. We all saw his upside, but there was something there that Golden didn't like or trust. Jones stayed so I'm assuming he is expecting a lot of playing time this season, but he needs somebody to split time with him.

Last edited:
I like Camper, Horton and Jones. They are all good pieces. Our Centers could use work, but I'm ok with keeping them. Kalu has the leg up, but if Mbengue can protect the rim and rebound then I would expect him to contribute a lot. Hamilton looked pretty decent towards the end of the season. He brings a good change of pace off the bench.

Unless Terrell takes a pretty big leap at PG, I think we need and upperclassmen transfer PG that can come in and lead the team. A playmaker that can score and get our other guys the ball in good scoring situations. We can't hope to rely on a freshman and an unproven sophmore because they have a lot of upside.

Also it's OBVIOUS that we need another forward. We only have one guy that I would consider a PF and that's Jones. We all saw his upside, but there was something there that Golden didn't like or trust. Jones stayed so I'm assuming he is expecting a lot of playing time this season, but he needs somebody to split time with him.
With Terrell his leap has to happen offensively, and not just with his outside shooting. He struggled to finish in traffic and at the rim often, and he was prone to bad turnovers. On the positive side, he was a solid freethrow shooter, and that usually translates to being a good outside shooter. He is a gym rat, so that bodes well. Defensively, he was outstanding and is the head of the snake in that area. I see Golding turning over the keys to Terrell at the point guard spot as we saw late last year, but will have guys like Thomas and Bynum provide some minutes there as well. I do think a guy like Devon Barnes would also be able to play some minutes at the point, and also be alot more of a scorer. For sure, Golding needs another 3/4 guy along with Jones as you mentioned. I find it odd that we haven't seen of many forwards UTEP has even been linked to, but there are still a ton of guys available.

With Terrell his leap has to happen offensively, and not just with his outside shooting. He struggled to finish in traffic and at the rim often, and he was prone to bad turnovers. On the positive side, he was a solid freethrow shooter, and that usually translates to being a good outside shooter. He is a gym rat, so that bodes well. Defensively, he was outstanding and is the head of the snake in that area. I see Golding turning over the keys to Terrell at the point guard spot as we saw late last year, but will have guys like Thomas and Bynum provide some minutes there as well. I do think a guy like Devon Barnes would also be able to play some minutes at the point, and also be alot more of a scorer. For sure, Golding needs another 3/4 guy along with Jones as you mentioned. I find it odd that we haven't seen of many forwards UTEP has even been linked to, but there are still a ton of guys available.
Good insight!

Reactions: Lil_Train
Now if Golding gets a quality D1 forward transfer added to a team that retained all underclassmen, It'll be his best recruiting so far at UTEP. However with that expectations of a league Title and NCAA or at minimum NIT run will be required!

Last edited:
Trazarien White!!!!! That is the guy Golding should be going after!!! 6-7 from UNC Wilmington, but played his HS ball in Texas. Whoever has ties to UTEP make sure Golding knows about this guy. He's the type of kid you give NIL money and get down to El Paso!!! Trust Me! No he's no Kevin Durant lol 😂, but he's a legit wing that we need and is proven at the D-1 level!

Trazarien White!!!!! That is the guy Golding should be going after!!! 6-7 from UNC Wilmington, but played his HS ball in Texas. Whoever has ties to UTEP make sure Golding knows about this guy. He's the type of kid you give NIL money and get down to El Paso!!! Trust Me! No he's no Kevin Durant lol 😂, but he's a legit wing that we need and is proven at the D-1 level!
Too many ppg for Golding’s taste.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT