ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Should Tim Floyd be Fired?

Catch 22, Tough cause I don't know if firing hin and getting new coach, puts us behind even further, unfortunately we're locked for at least 2 more years and have to hope he gets Utep over the hump

I've made it clear where I stand. With that said, I know CTF will be here for a while so I hope he can help get us a ticket to the Dance. That is all.

The sun will rise tomorrow. Floyd didn't do anything wrong. He is a winner. His resume speaks for itself. I have no heart burn keeping him. He has my 100% support.
This post was edited on 3/18 10:08 PM by utep2step

Originally posted by utep2step:
The sun will rise tomorrow. Floyd didn't do anything wrong. He is a winner. His resume speaks for itself. I have no heart burn keeping him. He has my 100% support.
This post was edited on 3/18 10:08 PM by utep2step
Just curious- how long should Floyd be given to get UTEP to the Big Dance?

In my anger, I felt he should be fired. Now, not so much. I know he's a good coach. While I have been disappointed a lot, I think a fair portion needs to be put on the kids too. At some point they need to man up.

We've never said this before....NEXT year is our year...I know it!
3dgrin.r191677.gif

I realize Stull's arrogance turns a lot of people off, but what he said today is spot on, IMO. He's been here for five, but only four years to put something together. HOWEVER, he got burned over the Isaac Hamilton affair and attrition which he must be held accountable for.

You can't put a timeline like you can in football. The landscape of d1 basketball is in flux. Major conferences are always saying every year they are looking to bring in a new member. That keeps colleges on edge and the landscape out of balance. La Tech is not going to be the same La. Tech next year, that was a special group of seniors they had. We need to keep Floyd given what CUSA teams have coming in. I am a minority that believes he is a good fit for UTEP, but that doesn't mean I don't accept some of his coaching attributes.
This post was edited on 3/18 10:38 PM by utep2step

No,,,,this disappointing season was not all his fault...I think he just didn't have the right talent mix. Hope he has better luck next year keeping his next recruiting class.

The three fire Floyd votes were; I'm quessing little dog, sodypop and either carlos or Alfie

I'll preface this by saying I was giddy as anyone when he came here, however, I have a question for everyone who says Floyd is such a great coach. Has he ever made it past the sweet 16 twice in his career? He had some pretty star-studded teams at Iowa St. and USC. Shouldn't he have a better tournament resume?

Reactions: develman
Originally posted by Ronstr300:
In my anger, I felt he should be fired. Now, not so much. I know he's a good coach. While I have been disappointed a lot, I think a fair portion needs to be put on the kids too. At some point they need to man up.

We've never said this before....NEXT year is our year...I know it!
3dgrin.r191677.gif
+1

I've calmed down as well.

But as far as putting it on the players, I've come to the realization that our players aren't that talented. Yes, he's responsible for recruiting them, but he's getting alot out of them too.

I voted "No". It wasn't an easy decision.

Some here are satisfied with this team missing the NCAA Tournament for five straight seasons. I'm not.

Some appear to be okay with the fact that whichever lesser post season tournament we make, be it the CBI or NIT, Floyd coached teams have so far lost each game by double digits. I'm not.

There are those who want to place all of the blame on the players, ignoring the fact that Floyd and his staff recruited every single one of these players, and are the ones responsible for "coaching them up". I definitely do not belong to that group.

There are those that blame Tony Barbee for the fact that this team has failed to make the NCAA Tournament, despite the fact that Floyd has been the coach for five full seasons. I simply cannot understand this point of view.

Somehow people look at the incredible rate of attrition among all of the players that Floyd and his staff have signed during his tenure, and blame it all on bad luck. Losing the occasional player here or there can often be attributed to bad luck. Having this amount of turnover, however, cannot.

So why didn't I vote "yes"? I'm just not ready to give up on him yet. Why? Part of it, to be totally honest, is that I've wanted Floyd to someday return to UTEP ever since he left for Idaho. It might be that now that this dream has turned into a reality, my ego doesn't want me to admit that I was wrong.

Another, and I hope larger reason, is that Floyd has been a very successful college basketball coach wherever he's been, be it Idaho, New Orleans, Iowa State, or USC. I still keep waiting for him to repeat that magic here.

I am, however, running out of patience. I want to see a team that is capable of winning the conference and is an NCAA Tournament caliber team. I want a staff that recruits good players, and then works with them to make them great players. I want to have a summer where I'm not constantly reading that the young player on the team that I have high hopes for is transferring elsewhere, and the hot shot recruit that I'm dying to see won't be wearing orange after all.

If this staff doesn't deliver soon, I'm changing my answer.

Reactions: develman
Agree with MinerManiac - I'm not making any excuses for the lack of success and I'm not satisfied - it's all on Floyd - but, just not ready to give up yet, just not yet - but, yes, my patience is starting to get tested....

Best post I've seen in a while. Takes into account all the reasons why one might not be satisfied, mentions why most of us wanted CTF here in the first place, and is not reactive in any sense of the word, like many posts from both sides have been, including my own. Nicely done MinerManiac.

This post was edited on 3/19 10:26 AM by tbleslie

I am also on the same page, with a little added belief that, in time, we will have most of our expectations met.

I can only hope I am not proven wrong...

I didnt vote, but I would say NO. Firing Floyd wont do much, right now it seems like the program is at a crossroad. They can either go up or down from here. Then the answer gets easier... Floyd will either shut everyone up, or probably move on by his own account.

I may get pissed off like the rest of you, but I will always support the team and wont bash players..EVER. Thats just wrong.

Go Miners!

PS I think im gonna root for NMSU to beat Kansas lol

Originally posted by shyminer81:
PS I think im gonna root for NMSU to beat Kansas lol
I will definitely be cheering for the Aggies. Had they been playing another mid major then I would cheer for the other team, but given that they're playing a power house team from a power conference - well, I happen to believe that mid major victories over teams like Kansas are good for all mid majors. So I will be cheering for NMSU, even if it does leave a bitter taste in my mouth.

I voted yes because i believe five years is enough time to build a team and make a the tournament. I dont care about win loss records we can 22 games or ten and if we miss the tournament its disappointing.

Having said that I hope Floyd succeeds and proves me wrong. I will never stop supporting the Miners. Now on to football which cant get here fast enough.

I say two more years. Next season to reload, but hopefully still good enough to have a realistic shot at winning the conference tourney/at least getting into NIT. Then if we don't make the NCAA by the following year, break it off.

I voted "no". If we were winning 14 games then yes but we've been winning 20+ games and this year played some stiff competition. Yes, we we had an experienced team but lacked the point guard aka floor general to lead us. I applaud Floyd for signing up to play the big boys...we just need to get it together and beat them.

Not surprised at all about the results. Great posts and great comments by everybody on here. You almost changed my mind, almost. ;)

I just witnessed UAB beat Iows St. by 1 point. This is a coach in his third year of coaching and he is not only going to the Big Dance, but winning in the Big Dance.

In Tim Floyd's 5th year UTEP is getting blown out of the gym by Murray State.

I hope all of us that voted Yes are wrong and Floyd turns it around next season. I don't see that happening, I really want it to happen, but losing 3 seniors won't help. Even if Vince comes back, I just don't see all the drastic improvement that needs to be made. I hope I'm wrong. I hope next season UTEP is not only in the Big Dance, but are winners of their first game in the Big Dance in 24 years.

This post was edited on 3/19 1:57 PM by El Paso Chihuahuas

This post was edited on 3/19 2:21 PM by El Paso Chihuahuas

Five years is enough for me to assess a coaches' ability to build a program. So far, CTF has failed the test....miserably.

Yes, he's won 20+ games most years but we almost never beat the "quality" teams on our schedule, and we NEVER win the big games when it counts. In fact, we usually get embarrassed. That is very telling. Most troubling, is this program has been consistent every year with:

- recruits never making it to campus, or being chased off after their first year

- Players seem afraid to take chances and just "play". That is of course except for Vince, who doesn't seem to know how to control himself

- We get destroyed every time we make it to a post season tournament

- Our offense is stagnant

- We look poorly coached with a lack of fundamentals and execution every year

- We have players that never seem to live up to their potential

That's just a small list of consistent issues this team has been plagued with. Even worse-- next years team will surely be a "rebuild". If CTF's teams look this bad during the peak of his building process, then I'm not even sure I want to know what potential train wreck next year will be.

Frankly surprised too, thought it would be overwhelmingly "yes". Good job Chi.

This post was edited on 3/19 5:07 PM by allminer

We should have a good team next year with Hooper Vint, Matt Wilms, Vince Hunter, Ervin Morris, and Omega Harris returning. We also have 4 redshirts Terry Winn, Jake Flaggart, Trey Touchette, and Tevin Caldwell. The 3 recruits Paul Thomas, Christian Romaine, and Lee Moore appear to have great potential plus I like the possibility of Josh McSwiggin from England. The games with La Tech hurt us because of lack of depth at guard but I think in that area we should be better. Sure I am disappointed but not angry. The only one I am angry at is Jeff Darby but he has apologized and I know he feels very sorry for his actions.

I guess you're(were) in the minority Chi , maybe the question you should of asked is , After five years as head coach are you satisfied with the state of UTEP basketball ?

Originally posted by develman:
I guess you're(were) in the minority Chi , maybe the question you should of asked is , After five years as head coach are you satisfied with the state of UTEP basketball ?
I am not satisfied with the state of UTEP basketball and I don't think many people are happy. That's probably a different question for a different poll. Some people aren't satisfied with the state of UTEP basketball, but still have faith in Floyd.

Originally posted by El Paso Chihuahuas:
Not surprised at all about the results. Great posts and great comments by everybody on here. You almost changed my mind, almost. ;)

I just witnessed UAB beat Iows St. by 1 point. This is a coach in his third year of coaching and he is not only going to the Big Dance, but winning in the Big Dance.

In Tim Floyd's 5th year UTEP is getting blown out of the gym by Murray State.

I hope all of us that voted Yes are wrong and Floyd turns it around next season. I don't see that happening, I really want it to happen, but losing 3 seniors won't help. Even if Vince comes back, I just don't see all the drastic improvement that needs to be made. I hope I'm wrong. I hope next season UTEP is not only in the Big Dance, but are winners of their first game in the Big Dance in 24 years.

This post was edited on 3/19 1:57 PM by El Paso Chihuahuas

This post was edited on 3/19 2:21 PM by El Paso Chihuahuas
You kept saying that people that wanted coach gone were the majority when I said there were only 8-9 of you. Now you say, you are "not surprised by the results." Such hipocrosy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT