ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Should Tim Floyd be Fired?

Originally posted by PickAx:

Originally posted by El Paso Chihuahuas:
Not surprised at all about the results. Great posts and great comments by everybody on here. You almost changed my mind, almost. ;)

I just witnessed UAB beat Iows St. by 1 point. This is a coach in his third year of coaching and he is not only going to the Big Dance, but winning in the Big Dance.

In Tim Floyd's 5th year UTEP is getting blown out of the gym by Murray State.

I hope all of us that voted Yes are wrong and Floyd turns it around next season. I don't see that happening, I really want it to happen, but losing 3 seniors won't help. Even if Vince comes back, I just don't see all the drastic improvement that needs to be made. I hope I'm wrong. I hope next season UTEP is not only in the Big Dance, but are winners of their first game in the Big Dance in 24 years.

This post was edited on 3/19 1:57 PM by El Paso Chihuahuas

This post was edited on 3/19 2:21 PM by El Paso Chihuahuas
You kept saying that people that wanted coach gone were the majority when I said there were only 8-9 of you. Now you say, you are "not surprised by the results." Such hipocrosy.
What's hipocrosy? Does it have something to do with hippos?

Originally posted by Pony10:

You know what he means, dumb@ass- stop deflecting and answer the question....
Thanks for the compliment!
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Stay classy!

El Paso Chihuahuas posted on 3/19/2015...

I just witnessed UAB beat Iows St. by 1 point. This is a coach in his third year of coaching and he is not only going to the Big Dance, but winning in the Big Dance.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Carlos made a similar post about Georgia St and in years past Music and Chuncks have posted the very same post about other mid majors doing to same.

If you don't want to be accused of all four of you being one in the same _____ (You can fill in the blank with many different words here) at least change it up.

GO MINER

I love the results. You also have to factor in that Bob probably has 4-5 different log in names. So that 11 is probably more like a 6 haha

Originally posted by winstoneptx:
El Paso Chihuahuas posted on 3/19/2015...

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Carlos made a similar post about Georgia St and in years past Music and Chuncks have posted the very same post about other mid majors doing to same.

If you don't want to be accused of all four of you being one in the same _____ (You can fill in the blank with many different words here) at least change it up.

GO MINER
So if you have rational, similar thoughts to old posters named ChunkyMusic, you're the same person. Then I guess most of you are the same person with different handles too.

I hate the fact that people accept the way the bball program is. Schools with less resources are doing more, but not UTEP because if you don't like it, you are a troll.

Before you bozos go firing Floyd, pray tell, who are you going to get to replace him? how many coaches out there with his resume and experience are going to walk in and turn us into a powerhouse overnight? what name coach wants to come to El Paso to coach a team from a weak conference that only sends its tournament champion to the NCAA's? how about another Barbee? maybe another Sadler? no doubt there's another RabbitPoo who would be happy to take the job. and where would that leave us?? some little-known dude who hangs around for a couple years then leaves because he realizes he can't coach? Floyd has the desirable attribute of wanting to coach UTEP. he's here for a while. get used to it. he almost won the conference regular season, and you want to get rid of him? ask other conference members if they would like to have a coach like Tim Floyd. Have you learned nothing from our poor experiences with football coaches? Now you want to apply the same logic, or lack thereof, to the basketball team?

Here's a poll for you:

should you Floyd-hating, knuckle-dragging, mouth-breathing neanderthals have your heads examined? yes no

care to guess how I voted?
confused0006.r191677.gif

MF

Originally posted by Miners Fight:

how about another Barbee? maybe another Sadler? no doubt there's another RabbitPoo who would be happy to take the job. and where would that leave us?? some little-known dude who hangs around for a couple years then leaves because he realizes he can't coach?
Floyd and Sadler can't coach? If I remember correctly, they both coached UTEP to the Big Dance.

Originally posted by miner1liner:
Do you think there are any programs with more that are doing less?
Several.

Rhode Island - Current coach in 3rd year, was bubbleish team this year
BC - Current coach in 1st year, fired previous coach after 4 years
GaTech - probably will coach a 5th year, due to large buyout and still paying on previous coach's contract.
Texas Tech - Been a mess for awhile, Tubby in 2nd year
Depaul - Fired coach after 5 years
Seton Hall - Coach just finished 5th year, future uncertain
Rutgers - Coach in 2nd year
Fresno - Coach in 4th year, probably get one more
Nevada - Just fired after 6 seasons, no NCAAs
Oregon St - Coach just finished 1st year, Prev coach fired after 6 seasons
Auburn - Fired Barbee after 4 years
South Carolina - Frank Martin in 3rd year, previous coach fired after 3 seasons

and if memory serves, they're both riding the bench as assistants at other programs. if they're so good, why aren't they head coaches elsewhere? why did they have to take a step down, instead of a step up?

If it weren't for Calipari, Barbee wouldn't have a job. I don't remember where Sadler is, but it certainly isn't Nebraska. and if Nebraska gets rid of you, that's like losing your frycook job at the Waffle House. Your career isn't exactly in its meteoric stage.

MF

Before you bozos go firing Floyd, pray tell, who are you going to get to replace him? how many coaches out there with his resume and experience are going to walk in and turn us into a powerhouse overnight? what name coach wants to come to El Paso to coach a team from a weak conference that only sends its tournament champion to the NCAA's? how about another Barbee? maybe another Sadler? no doubt there's another RabbitPoo who would be happy to take the job. and where would that leave us?? some little-known dude who hangs around for a couple years then leaves because he realizes he can't coach? Floyd has the desirable attribute of wanting to coach UTEP. he's here for a while. get used to it. he almost won the conference regular season, and you want to get rid of him? ask other conference members if they would like to have a coach like Tim Floyd. Have you learned nothing from our poor experiences with football coaches? Now you want to apply the same logic, or lack thereof, to the basketball team?

Here's a poll for you:

should you Floyd-hating, knuckle-dragging, mouth-breathing neanderthals have your heads examined? yes no

care to guess how I voted?
confused0006.r191677.gif

MF
Same logic we heard when Price was coaching. "Who are we gonna replace him with?" There are a lot of assistants that we don't know by name that are well regarded and will be future head coaches one day.

What's wrong with moving on to a bigger job? Everyone does it. Just because Haskins didn't, even though he did leave for Detroit Mercy and came back, doesn't mean future coaches should be held to that standard.

So its better not to go the tournament, have your coach stay, than to make the tournament and have your coach leave???

Sadler already has another head coaching job, Barbee will eventually, Gillispie probably wishes he would have stayed at A&M, but those 3 got us to the Tournament. Floyd hasn't. So who can't coach?

and if memory serves, they're both riding the bench as assistants at other programs. if they're so good, why aren't they head coaches elsewhere? why did they have to take a step down, instead of a step up?

If it weren't for Calipari, Barbee wouldn't have a job. I don't remember where Sadler is, but it certainly isn't Nebraska. and if Nebraska gets rid of you, that's like losing your frycook job at the Waffle House. Your career isn't exactly in its meteoric stage.

MF
If it weren't for any assistants previous connections, they wouldn't have a job. Makes no sense. Do you think Don Haskins didn't learn under someone? Roy Williams? Greg Popavich? I guess they all just went to some program and said "Give me your head coaching job"

Doc is coaching at Southern Miss, cleaning up the previous coach's mess. And he won a game vs Floyd's team with year and his "great" assistant coaching staff.

Carlos,

you can swing a dead cat in any direction and hit a coach who got his team to the big dance. maybe once. maybe twice. but they are no longer with those programs. because they didn't build programs. they did what they had to do to win a few games. but they didn't build programs. I've said this before and i'll continue to say it: we do not have a basketball program. we have a basketball team that doesn't attract serious talent because recruits never know how long our coach will be in town. (none of the aforementioned had any NBA experience, either). we have a team that can't sell out the DHC because our glory days were in the last millennium. and every time a good coach, like Floyd, is replaced we take another step backwards. UTEP's problems can't be fixed overnight. getting to the "big dance" is taken for granted by most established programs. getting there once in a while is for those who want instant oatmeal results. I want a program that spends more time evaluating talent than it does looking for scraps from the power conference's table. that is going to take time. take a look at the teams that are highly seeded in the NCAA's. now look at the length of time the head coaches have been around. none of them are Houdini. but their schools had faith in them and gave them the time to develop. why should Floyd be treated differently?

MF

I want a program that spends more time evaluating talent than it does looking for scraps from the power conference's table. that is going to take time. take a look at the teams that are highly seeded in the NCAA's. now look at the length of time the head coaches have been around. none of them are Houdini. but their schools had faith in them and gave them the time to develop. why should Floyd be treated differently?

MF
Greg Marshall at Wichita St:
Year 1 - (11-20)
Year 2 - (17-17 CBI Second Round)
Year 3 - (25-10 NIT First Round)
Year 4 - (29-8 NIT Champs)
Year 5 - (27-6 NCAA "2nd" Round; MVC Champs)
Year 6 - (30-9 Final Four)
Year 7 - (35-1 NCAA "3rd" Round; MVC Champs)
Year 8 - (28-4 TBD; MVC Champs)

So by Greg's 5th year, he had a regular season MVC Championship, an NIT Championship, won a game in the CBI, and made the NCAAs. How many of those things has Floyd accomplished? In year 6, he made the Final Four. Umm, we aren't going to the Final Four next year. So why doesn't Floyd has a similar resume here?

Georgia St's head coach is in his 4th year, he was 17-1 in SBC play last season, won 25 games and made the NIT, this season he won 25 games again, won both regular season and SBC tourney titles, and just knocked off 3 seed Baylor. He won conference championships and NCAA games and he plays in a 4,000 arena and I highly doubt they sell any of the games out. Why can these guys win at those school, but Floyd can't here?

you're missing the point. you continue to try to compare apples with oranges. no two programs are identical or have the same problems to overcome. but you're trying to say that Marshall could have accomplished the same record in El Paso? where did you get that opinion from? I don't want to be like Wichita State or Georgia State. I want to be like Duke. K has been with the Blue Devils for 30 years. and you don't want to give Floyd another year? when Dean Smith was in his early years at UNC he was hung in effigy by the students. he turned out to be a pretty good coach, wouldn't you say? both schools stuck with their coaches and the results are obvious. but you don't want to give Floyd another year or two? he's the best coach we've had since Haskins. try supporting him instead of constantly knocking him. what does that accomplish?

I don't want to be like Wichita State or Georgia State. I want to be like Duke. K has been with the Blue Devils for 30 years. and you don't want to give Floyd another year? when Dean Smith was in his early years at UNC he was hung in effigy by the students. he turned out to be a pretty good coach, wouldn't you say? both schools stuck with their coaches and the results are obvious. but you don't want to give Floyd another year or two? he's the best coach we've had since Haskins. try supporting him instead of constantly knocking him. what does that accomplish?
To be like Duke, you first have to be like Wichita State. It's like saying I don't want a bachelor's degree, but I want a master's degree. You have to accomplish the first one to get to the second one.

Why do you think Floyd is the best coach we've had since Haskins?

If you really want to bring out the Smith and Coach K comparisons, then I will tell you this: Dean Smith took UNC to the Final Four in his 6th year and Coach K took Duke to the National Championship in his 6th year.

you're missing the point. you continue to try to compare apples with oranges. no two programs are identical or have the same problems to overcome. but you're trying to say that Marshall could have accomplished the same record in El Paso? where did you get that opinion from? I don't want to be like Wichita State or Georgia State. I want to be like Duke. K has been with the Blue Devils for 30 years. and you don't want to give Floyd another year? when Dean Smith was in his early years at UNC he was hung in effigy by the students. he turned out to be a pretty good coach, wouldn't you say? both schools stuck with their coaches and the results are obvious. but you don't want to give Floyd another year or two? he's the best coach we've had since Haskins. try supporting him instead of constantly knocking him. what does that accomplish?
You're the one missing the point. Yes, I think Gregg Marshall would have been just as successful here. I got that opinion from my unbiased brain and by looking at his career record and then comparing it to Floyd's here.

Coach K has been at Duke for 30 years because he earned the right and when he first took the Duke job, the program wasn't at their current level. And guess what? He got them to tournament in his 4th year and has only missed once ever since. It's not like Coach K got 10 years before he turned it around, he did it in 4.

If Tim Floyd has got us to the tournament, it would be a different story, but after 5 years, its the same old tired story. Lose the big games, lose to teams you shouldn't, and not win in the post season. What has Tim Floyd done here and what notable victories does he have?

In my opinion, Floyd does not deserve another year or two. He's proven to me that he can't get the job done anymore. His style of play is boring and he's holding back his players true potential. How much fun would this team be if these dudes could "turn it up". You can still play defense and not have a 1960s offense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT