ADVERTISEMENT

Poor Texas

I am someone who admits when they are wrong and I have definitely been proven wrong with this prediction up to this point
It is because of their defense. This is why SDSU also can make another run, as can any MWC team this year, as they play extremely tough defensively.

Kansas is going to be a 2 seed and they will most likely have at least 9 losses going into the tournament. Therefore, it is extremely impressive what Houston has done with an 8-3 Quad 1 resume and 14-0 Quad 2-4. That is 3rd best with only Purdue and UConn with more.

I dismiss Purdue because the Big 10 is overrated and that gives them more Quad 1 wins then they deserve. So, take UConn, and Houston into your final 4.

This is a great website to look at a teams resume. Look at the MWC, 6 Teams with a Top 40 NET, simply off the charts for a mid major conference.

Who still thinks that we wouldn't be better off in the MWC? SMH
It is absolutely incredible that they will get 6 in with most likely single digit seeds. They are on national tv every single night they play. CBS and FOX have put them primetime on Saturdays and Sundays and during the week every single SDSU game is on CBS Network or FS1, and there is one other game as well the same night.

CUSA has fallen into obscurity. It is so sad. Not sure what we can do at this point.

It is absolutely incredible that they will get 6 in with most likely single digit seeds. They are on national tv every single night they play. CBS and FOX have put them primetime on Saturdays and Sundays and during the week every single SDSU game is on CBS Network or FS1, and there is one other game as well the same night.

CUSA has fallen into obscurity. It is so sad. Not sure what we can do at this point.
I think our only out is to turn football around and sustain it for some time. Hopefully we start now.

You think the MWC will get 6 in? I’m thinking 5. I think Boise State will end up getting snubbed. They have a tough road ahead and I think they’ll end up with 11 losses. I just cant see them getting in with a record like that. I’ve been wrong a time or 20 in my life though.

You think the MWC will get 6 in? I’m thinking 5. I think Boise State will end up getting snubbed. They have a tough road ahead and I think they’ll end up with 11 losses. I just cant see them getting in with a record like that. I’ve been wrong a time or 20 in my life though.
SDSU getting a 4 seed tells you that they are going to get 6 in.

This is what needs to happen:
Beat the other 5 teams, including UNLV at home and road.
Lose only road games to the Top 5, win at home.

That will solidify 6 teams, as their Metrics are very high. Jerry Palm did the rest of the bracket after the CBS show and has Boise State as a 9 seed.
Also, I do not see Boise with 11 losses as they will not lose on the road to Wyoming or Air Force. They will also win all 3 remaining home games, San Jose State, Nevada and New Mexico. Only questionable game is New Mexico. They will be 22-9 or 23-8 going into the MWC tournament.

Here are good stats when winning that many games and their breakdown. With 22 wins, they will be assured of a bid.

Boise is actually higher than New Mexico and Nevada

Houston #2 in updated rakings after the Purdue loss. UConn unanimous #1
UCONN is fvckn good!! In my opinion, the only thing they have going against them is that the Big East isn’t all that tough with the exception of Marquette, Creighton and somewhat, Seton Hall and they will not have been battle tested when tourney time comes around. They are absolutely rolling through conference play aside from the SH loss about 15 games ago.

I do watch them as much as I can because of Tristan Newton. He is a bad azz!!

Last edited:
UCONN is fvckn good!! In my opinion, the only thing they have going against them is that the Big East isn’t all that tough with the exception of Marquette, Creighton and somewhat, Seton Hall and they will not have been battle tested when tourney time comes around. They are absolutely rolling through conference play aside from the SH loss about 15 games ago.

You have to research this a little further and check their Quad wins, and metrics:

They have played Texas, Kansas, North Carolina and Gonzaga as their toughest OOC

The Net ranking of teams in the Big East is pretty high with Creighton at 13, Marquette at 14, Villanova at 35 and 4 others in the 50's. Seton Hall is actually lower than all of those teams as they are in the 60's.

Now I agree with you as the Big East may not even be as strong as the Mountain West this year. But UConn may be better than last years team. The Mountain West is ranked 4th strongest on Metrics, while the Big East is 6th.

Your argument has merit though:

and

I just think UConn is an anomaly that has already proven themselves last year with their run and all wins by double digits. I would say Purdue has a better resume, but to me, is truly overrated as the Big 10 always is a joke in the tournament.

Here is another interesting website for you, as you can compare Resumes side by side:

Last edited:
Why is the Horns Down so offensive? Is there some underlying meaning that no one is talking about or is Texas the softest major university in the nation?
If you play Shout at the Devil backwards it clearly says Horns Down.

You see in my day, they had these things called vinyl recordings and you could turn them counter clockwise against a needle to hear all the hidden messages...

You are the kiss of death for UConn. I wish you would have done the same thing before the national title game last year.

In all seriousness, UConn is 2-7 against Creighton in their last 9 meetings, so it is not surprising they lost to them tonight. They also lost at Creighton last year.

• Haha
Reactions: MineroFanatico
Really? Both teams are trash. I don't think either makes the tournament.
I bet Z really likes sitting on the bench but at least he's getting paid.
We have different definitions of what a trash team is. Im sure Z is happy he left this dumpster fire for a better paying job.

Reactions: unihorn
I think Texas has a damn good chance at losing 2 of their last 3. Tech is tech and will probably implode. Both will get run 1st game of the conference tournament.
Y'all might be right and both "may" get in, imho it's not based on being good. More of a conference bias being in a strong conference. I've watched both and I'm like meh.
As for Z, while getting paid is cool, I bet he'd rather play. You are correct about him happy to leave this shit show though. He should have gone elsewhere.

Reactions: T-6 Miner
I think Texas has a damn good chance at losing 2 of their last 3. Tech is tech and will probably implode. Both will get run 1st game of the conference tournament.
Y'all might be right and both "may" get in, imho it's not based on being good. More of a conference bias being in a strong conference. I've watched both and I'm like meh.
As for Z, while getting paid is cool, I bet he'd rather play. You are correct about him happy to leave this shit show though. He should have gone elsewhere.
The truth is, Z isn’t good enough to get more minutes in Big 12 play.

Correct. He does not have that “15 foot game”. He is tough as nails under and around the basket, but lacks a consistent, reliable jumper or athleticism 15’ away. It’s a big deal at this level up to NBA.

Z had the option to make around 250k to play 10 minutes a game at Texas and make the NCAAT. Or stay at utep to make nothing compared to the Texas NIL deal so he can play 20 minutes for a team that’s in last place in a shitty conference. Such a hard decision to make.

Z had the option to make around 250k to play 10 minutes a game at Texas and make the NCAAT. Or stay at utep to make nothing compared to the Texas NIL deal so he can play 20 minutes for a team that’s in last place in a shitty conference. Such a hard decision to make.
Depends on his goals and aspirations. It's all relative to his situation.

Depends on his goals and aspirations. It's all relative to his situation.
The chance to prove he can play in the best basketball conference while making a quarter million is very hard to turn down. I doubt he went into Texas with the mentality of, I’m ok riding the bench. To me it’s a no brainer. In a perfect world he gets paid and gets to play. Increasing his exposure and chances at the NBA.

Reactions: develman
The chance to prove he can play in the best basketball conference while making a quarter million is very hard to turn down. I doubt he went into Texas with the mentality of, I’m ok riding the bench. To me it’s a no brainer. In a perfect world he gets paid and gets to play. Increasing his exposure and chances at the NBA.
Even if professional ball doesn't work out for Z, he can potentially earn a graduate degree from UT, plus $.5M to set himself up moving forward (assuming he is back next year). No brainer indeed.

No way he makes the NBA.

Texas will beat OSU, and OU. They already beat OU on the road by 15, so saying they will lose their home game to them is quite the stretch. They will lose to Baylor on the road most likely. So 2-1. They also will not lose in the first round of the tournament as they will play a bottom feeder in the first round.

Texas Tech will also win 2 of 3 and their first-round game minimum.

Texas has a net of 34, Tech 43. Texas is 5-7 Quad 1 games. Tech 4-7.

Big 12 has 10 Teams in the Top 50 of the Net.

Taking that all-in consideration, Texas and Texas Tech will most likely both make the tournament as 9 teams from the Big 12 will most likely get in. Do I agree with you that Texas should be left out, Yes. The Big 12 SOS OOC is atrocious. Reminds me of most Big 10 years. For Example SDSU has a 4-7 Quad 1 record, but no losses in any other Quadrant while Texas is 2-2 in Quad 2 games and 2-1 in Quad 3 games.

Here is evidence of that:

Mountain West has 6 teams in the top 40 of the Net. So, Texas getting in over one of the 6 Mountain West teams is highly doubtful, but they are already projecting those 6 Mountain West teams to make it as it is the 5th strongest conference, the Big 12 is the strongest overall.

I think some of the older measuring tools may be more accurate: Like RPI, SOS

In conclusion, I agree with you. Both schools should not make it, but the numbers say otherwise. Both schools OOC schedule was extremely weak.

I agree with your point, but again it's all relative to him. Maybe you are correct. I agree it would be hard to turn down (especially if he thought he was gonna play).

Texas will beat OSU, and OU. They already beat OU on the road by 15, so saying they will lose their home game to them is quite the stretch. They will lose to Baylor on the road most likely. So 2-1. They also will not lose in the first round of the tournament as they will play a bottom feeder in the first round.

Taking that all-in consideration, Texas and Texas Tech will most likely both make the tournament as 9 teams from the Big 12 will most likely get in. Do I agree with you that Texas should be left out, Yes. The Big 12 SOS OOC is atrocious. Reminds me of most Big 10 years. For Example SDSU has a 4-7 Quad 1 record, but no losses in any other Quadrant while Texas is 2-2 in Quad 2 games and 2-1 in Quad 3 games.

Mountain West has 6 teams in the top 40 of the Net. So, Texas getting in over one of the 6 Mountain West teams is highly doubtful, but they are already projecting those 6 Mountain West teams to make it as it is the 5th strongest conference, the Big 12 is the strongest overall.

In conclusion, I agree with you. Both schools should not make it, but the numbers say otherwise. Both schools OOC schedule was extremely weak.
If Texas ends up a 9 or 10, they could play a team like Kansas or another 2 in the second game— very tough.

Then next year, Terry has a ton of experience to replace — Disu, Abmas, Mitchell. It ain’t gonna be easy.

I think Texas has an equal to or better resume than the projected 5th and 6th MW teams. Unless you believe they’re not deserving of the tournament either.

Reactions: Lil_Train
I think Texas has an equal to or better resume than the projected 5th and 6th MW teams. Unless you believe they’re not deserving of the tournament either.
How so? Better than Utah State or Nevada? No.

Utah State has 4 Quad 1 wins and 4 losses. They also are 4-1 in Quad 2, while Texas was 2-2. Nevada is 6-5 in Quad 1 wins, 1-0 in Quad 2. Texas has a Quad 3 loss, that is terrible.

Texas has an extremely weak Strength of Schedule compared to Utah State and Nevada. Texas has a 200 ranking in OOC schedule. That is pathetic.

RPI not even close.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
One very important note when considering Onyema's decision: the number of kids on college basketball teams who believe that they will make the NBA is much, much greater than the number who actually will. The majority, if not all, of us on here expected him to ride the pine at UT, and did not see him as a future NBA player. He, and his family/friends, likely saw things very differently. Plus, money. His decision was disappointing for us Miner fans, but shouldn't be at all surprising.

Utah State has 4 Quad 1 wins and 4 losses. They also are 4-1 in Quad 2, while Texas was 2-2. Nevada is 6-5 in Quad 1 wins, 1-0 in Quad 2. Texas has a Quad 3 loss, that is terrible.

Texas has an extremely weak Strength of Schedule compared to Utah State and Nevada. Texas has a 200 ranking in OOC schedule. That is pathetic.

RPI not even close.
All of them have “terrible” net sos ooc. Nevada 262. Utah St 193. Texas 216. To me the difference is the non d1 games and the q3/q4 games. The MW teams played more games vs those types of teams than Texas.

Going strictly on quality wins and bad losses are they not similar?

Team 1
Q1 wins: 6 Q2: 1. Bad losses 1

Team 2
Q1: 5 Q2: 2 bad losses 1

Team 3
Q1:4 Q2:4 bad losses 0

RPI not even close.
Texas has 5 Quad 1 wins.

They won’t be measured much by OOC SOS playing in the B12.

They could end up playing a team like Utah State in the first round.

Texas has talent with Disu, Abmas and Mitchell. If Disu and Abmas are hitting shots, and they play hard team D, they could beat almost anyone. Trouble is they’re inconsistent.

I guess we’ll see. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
All of them have “terrible” net sos ooc. Nevada 262. Utah St 193. Texas 216. To me the difference is the non d1 games and the q3/q4 games. The MW teams played more games vs those types of teams than Texas.

Going strictly on quality wins and bad losses are they not similar?

Team 1
Q1 wins: 6 Q2: 1. Bad losses 1

Team 2
Q1: 5 Q2: 2 bad losses 1

Team 3
Q1:4 Q2:4 bad losses 0
No Utah State has a non conference SOS of 71. Not even close.
Rankings / Strength of Schedule (SOS), Nevada also has 6 Quad 1 wins, and that is remarkable because they don't play in the Big 12 where almost every game is a Quad 1 game.

Lastly, Texas has 9 Quad 4 wins. (9-0) Utah State was (8-0). Remember we are talking about the Mountain West versus the Big 12. Shouldn't a team in the Big 12 that is tournament worthy be heads and shoulders better than a 6th place MW team?

The fact that you are arguing that Texas is similar to a 6th place Mountain West team, should tell you everything you need to know.
You have to give it to the Mountain West as they went out and shored up their OOC that is why 6 of them are in the top 40 of the NET. Texas did no such thing and relied on being under .500 in their conference to lay their claim to making the tournament. They are a sham as they have not beaten any team of substance outside their conference and are sub .500 in their conference.

Buyer beware if you take this team in the tournament, because they definitely do not compare to the upper echelon of the Big 12.

UTAH STATE:
NET

RPI
(0.6335)
NON-CONFERENCE
RPI
(0.6392)

ELO
(1650)

SOS
(0.5650)
NON-CONFERENCE
SOS
(0.5394)

Reactions: MINER.JAY
No Utah State has a non conference SOS of 71. Not even close.
Rankings / Strength of Schedule (SOS), Nevada also has 6 Quad 1 wins, and that is remarkable because they don't play in the Big 12 where almost every game is a Quad 1 game.

Lastly, Texas has 9 Quad 4 wins. (9-0) Utah State was (8-0). Remember we are talking about the Mountain West versus the Big 12. Shouldn't a team in the Big 12 that is tournament worthy be heads and shoulders better than a 6th place MW team?

The fact that you are arguing that Texas is similar to a 6th place Mountain West team, should tell you everything you need to know.
You have to give it to the Mountain West as they went out and shored up their OOC that is why 6 of them are in the top 40 of the NET. Texas did no such thing and relied on being under .500 in their conference to lay their claim to making the tournament. They are a sham as they have not beaten any team of substance outside their conference and are sub .500 in their conference.

Buyer beware if you take this team in the tournament, because they definitely do not compare to the upper echelon of the Big 12.

UTAH STATE:
NET

RPI
(0.6335)
NON-CONFERENCE
RPI
(0.6392)

ELO
(1650)

SOS
(0.5650)
NON-CONFERENCE
SOS
(0.5394)
Their Quad 2 win vs. LSU helps. Calling them a sham is too strong.

Have you watched them? Disu, Abmas and Mitchell are ballers.

Cunningham and Weaver are strong defenders and rebounders who can also score.

Guards Hunter and Horton are good. Bench big Shedrick is pretty good too.

They’re not a fraud, they just don’t always bring it.

Their Quad 2 win vs. LSU helps. Calling them a sham is too strong.

Have you watched them? Disu, Abmas and Mitchell are ballers.

Cunningham and Weaver are strong defenders and rebounders who can also score.

Guards Hunter and Horton are good. Bench big Shedrick is pretty good too.

They’re not a fraud, they just don’t always bring it.
I am saying they do not belong in the NCAA tournament unless they have a deep run in the Big 12 tournament.

LSU is another sub 500 team in a conference that is top heavy and quite frankly overrated. That is not an impressive win by any means.

By what you are saying, Texas and Kentucky sound eerily similar, and I beg to differ.

I have seen too many Big 10 schools that have a resume just like Texas, and get in by name and are just as quickly bounced in the first round.

I am not sold on them.

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT