ADVERTISEMENT

Poor Texas

I am saying they do not belong in the NCAA tournament unless they have a deep run in the Big 12 tournament.

LSU is another sub 500 team in a conference that is top heavy and quite frankly overrated. That is not an impressive win by any means.

By what you are saying, Texas and Kentucky sound eerily similar, and I beg to differ.

I have seen too many Big 10 schools that have a resume just like Texas, and get in by name and are just as quickly bounced in the first round.

I am not sold on them.
That’s fine, but you’re underestimating their chances to dance.

That’s fine, but you’re underestimating their chances to dance.
No, as you can see from my first post on this topic, I said they would most likely make the tournament. What I have followed up with:

Are they deserving? And are they actually going to win a game?

No Utah State has a non conference SOS of 71. Not even close.
Rankings / Strength of Schedule (SOS), Nevada also has 6 Quad 1 wins, and that is remarkable because they don't play in the Big 12 where almost every game is a Quad 1 game.

Lastly, Texas has 9 Quad 4 wins. (9-0) Utah State was (8-0). Remember we are talking about the Mountain West versus the Big 12. Shouldn't a team in the Big 12 that is tournament worthy be heads and shoulders better than a 6th place MW team?

The fact that you are arguing that Texas is similar to a 6th place Mountain West team, should tell you everything you need to know.
You have to give it to the Mountain West as they went out and shored up their OOC that is why 6 of them are in the top 40 of the NET. Texas did no such thing and relied on being under .500 in their conference to lay their claim to making the tournament. They are a sham as they have not beaten any team of substance outside their conference and are sub .500 in their conference.

Buyer beware if you take this team in the tournament, because they definitely do not compare to the upper echelon of the Big 12.

UTAH STATE:
NET

RPI
(0.6335)
NON-CONFERENCE
RPI
(0.6392)

ELO
(1650)

SOS
(0.5650)
NON-CONFERENCE
SOS
(0.5394)
I don’t think it matters if the quality wins are inside or outside conference play. As long as they are there. IMO Texas and Nevada are identical. If one goes in so should the other. Biggest difference is Nevadas ooc q1 games were easier than Texas ooc q1 opponents. Both of them had 10 ooc games vs q3/q4 teams. According to you Nevada is more deserving cuz they beat #67 Washington OOC compared to 89 LSU? Texas beat TCU too, Nevada’s big ooc win. How would have Texas done against Washington OOC instead of 4 UConn and 11 Marquette and vise versa. Does Nevada beat those teams? I just don’t see the separation at the moment.

I am saying they do not belong in the NCAA tournament unless they have a deep run in the Big 12 tournament.

LSU is another sub 500 team in a conference that is top heavy and quite frankly overrated. That is not an impressive win by any means.

By what you are saying, Texas and Kentucky sound eerily similar, and I beg to differ.

I have seen too many Big 10 schools that have a resume just like Texas, and get in by name and are just as quickly bounced in the first round.

I am not sold on them.
I’m not sold on Texas either. Could they win a game or two in the tournament? Yes they could.

Great discussions.....awesome the stats brought into it as well.

They just don't do it for me. Again, they will "probably" get in based on school names and the conference they are in. That doesn't mean I like it or agree with it.
I think the name schools should be required to play at least 3 mid-majors each year. Since that won't happen in my lifetime, I will just sit here and complain. LOL

I don’t think it matters if the quality wins are inside or outside conference play. As long as they are there. IMO Texas and Nevada are identical. If one goes in so should the other. Biggest difference is Nevadas ooc q1 games were easier than Texas ooc q1 opponents. Both of them had 10 ooc games vs q3/q4 teams. According to you Nevada is more deserving cuz they beat #67 Washington OOC compared to 89 LSU? Texas beat TCU too, Nevada’s big ooc win. How would have Texas done against Washington OOC instead of 4 UConn and 11 Marquette and vise versa. Does Nevada beat those teams? I just don’t see the separation at the moment.
Agree. The Big12 knew how brutal and what a grind conference play would be and therefore took the liberty of planning a lighter pre-conference schedule. Smart if you ask me.

Great discussions.....awesome the stats brought into it as well.

They just don't do it for me. Again, they will "probably" get in based on school names and the conference they are in. That doesn't mean I like it or agree with it.
I think the name schools should be required to play at least 3 mid-majors each year. Since that won't happen in my lifetime, I will just sit here and complain. LOL
Texas played Rice, Wyoming, Texas St, and UT-Arlington this year. Is that not enough?

Reactions: JCorona
Agree. The Big12 knew how brutal and what a grind conference play would be and therefore took the liberty of planning a lighter pre-conference schedule. Smart if you ask me.
Yeah, and they also played and lost to UConn and Marquette.

Well…he had a helluva game against Texas, however he averages 12 ppg. Not exactly elite. Just sayin.
Watch him come tourney time.

6-9 225; 46% FG; 42% 3 pt.; 83% ft.

He’s only one of 6 10+ ppg scorers on the team. Dude is a matchup nightmare.

Last edited:
Watch him come tourney time.

6-9 225; 46% FG; 42% 3 pt.; 83% ft.

He’s only one of 6 10+ ppg scorers on the team. Dude is a matchup nightmare.
For who? There are a ton of teams that thrive on defense when the tournament comes around. Defense is what wins in the tournament. This is precisely why teams like Arizona fall flat in those games and why Houston will be in the final 4.

Have you seen Jaedon LeDee play? He is 6'9" and averages a double double. He shoots 56% FG, averages over 20 points a game and over 10 rebounds. I would love to see that matchup since he is used to teams double and tripling him inside. Mountain West teams have dealt with him all year.

For who? There are a ton of teams that thrive on defense when the tournament comes around. Defense is what wins in the tournament. This is precisely why teams like Arizona fall flat in those games and why Houston will be in the final 4.

Have you seen Jaedon LeDee play? He is 6'9" and averages a double double. He shoots 56% FG, averages over 20 points a game and over 10 rebounds. I would love to see that matchup since he is used to teams double and tripling him inside. Mountain West teams have dealt with him all year.
I watch the B12. All I can say is if you double Bridges, their guards will make you pay.

Ledee (from Houston) has been around! I wasnt aware that he played for SDSU. I guess he replaced Keshad Johnson (who now plays for Arizona). Funny how this works 🤣

Ledee (from Houston) has been around! I wasnt aware that he played for SDSU. I guess he replaced Keshad Johnson (who now plays for Arizona). Funny how this works 🤣
He played last year under a different role. He was instrumental in them making their run as he gets a ton of offensive boards. He was a role player last year, averaging 7 pts a game, but it jumped up to 20 this year. Night in and night out he is as consistent as they come.

He is up for the Wooden Award as the best player in college basketball. He is in the top 10, but will not win it, and will most likely be on the Second Team as an All American.

Reactions: axingfools1
I watch the B12. All I can say is if you double Bridges, their guards will make you pay.
It is all about matchups. I watch Big 12 as well as a ton of Mountain West. It will be interesting how the 5 to 7 Mountain West teams do in the tournament this year. They are completely built differently as they followed the SDSU blueprint of defense first.

Utah State, just won the MWC, and they did not have any players from their starting 5 on their roster last year. What the conference did is put an extremely tough OOC schedule together so their NET could be high.

I am looking forward to seeing how they matchup defensively against teams like Kentucky, Baylor, Arizona, etc that are great offensively, but not so much on the defensive side. It is going to be very interesting.

SEC may be overrated, as I really don't understand how Alabama is rated so high, when I saw them get run out of the building as a 1 seed against SDSU last year. A lot of these teams are frauds and they will get exposed when they step out of conference, just like the BIG10 does every year.

We have lost all self-respect. We post more on this thread rooting against Texas and a former coach than we do on a thread for our own team, despite the fact that Texas is a better team and will probably make the tourney. Listen to me. Someday, someone will come along to make us forget all about Terry and we'll wonder why we ever shed so many tears over him.

Reactions: JCorona
I think we've had the same discussion re the MWC for the past decade or so. They find a way to game the numbers, get 4-6 teams in, then flame out early, SDSU's run notwithstanding.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love for CUSA to find a way to game the numbers. Maybe we can start by not losing to the likes of A&M-CC year in and year out.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
We have lost all self-respect. We post more on this thread rooting against Texas and a former coach than we do on a thread for our own team, despite the fact that Texas is a better team and will probably make the tourney. Listen to me. Someday, someone will come along to make us forget all about Terry and we'll wonder why we ever shed so many tears over him.
Honestly, I’m just a fan of Big12 basketball in general, and a non-fan of UT in particular. I hardly ever give a thought about CRT in relation to these two things.

Even though it doesn’t appear that CJG is the guy, I don’t miss Terry at all, and I sure as hell haven’t shed a tear about his departure.

You are correct though, this thread is a bit more interesting than our own team at this time. That, I may shed a tear or two about.

I think we've had the same discussion re the MWC for the past decade or so. They find a way to game the numbers, get 4-6 teams in, then flame out early, SDSU's run notwithstanding.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love for CUSA to find a way to game the numbers. Maybe we can start by not losing to the likes of A&M-CC year in and year out.
This is a different year, and they have not had more than 4 in since 2013. This year they legitimately went out and scheduled tough schools. There is no gaming the numbers, as the committee would love to have every single Big 10 school in before having more MWC schools, and yet they can't argue with numbers.

MWC teams are built differently this year and I would say they will fare much better than past years. But what is the Big 10's excuse? They average 9 or 10 teams in and only 1 gets as far as the Sweet 16 every year. Last national championship was 1999. That is the true definition of failure. Lucky enough the NCAA committee may have finally got it right with only 6 getting in this year instead of the regular 9 or 10.

I have always said the Big 10 has a soft OOC schedule and therefore they fail in the tournament. The numbers have finally caught up with them this year.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
This is a different year, and they have not had more than 4 in since 2013. This year they legitimately went out and scheduled tough schools. There is no gaming the numbers, as the committee would love to have every single Big 10 school in before having more MWC schools, and yet they can't argue with numbers.

MWC teams are built differently this year and I would say they will fare much better than past years. But what is the Big 10's excuse? They average 9 or 10 teams in and only 1 gets as far as the Sweet 16 every year. Last national championship was 1999. That is the true definition of failure. Lucky enough the NCAA committee may have finally got it right with only 6 getting in this year instead of the regular 9 or 10.

I have always said the Big 10 has a soft OOC schedule and therefore they fail in the tournament. The numbers have finally caught up with them this year.
Preaching to the choir on the B1G. Obviously, they've been the biggest frauds in the tournament in recent years. MWC isn't too far behind, though. Maybe this is their year, but they'll have to prove it to me before I buy in.

Reactions: Rocketsr

A&M-CC made the NCAA Tournament last season and UTEP beat them.

Of course, A&M-CC beat UTEP this season. A&M-CC might or might not make the NCAA Tourney again this season, but they are 2nd in their conference right now.

So, UTEP doesn't lose to them year in and year out. UTEP beat a pretty good one last season, but not this season.

That being said, I think A&M-CC would be a middle-of-the-pack CUSA team, and we all want UTEP to be better than middle-of-the-pack.

A&M-CC made the NCAA Tournament last season and UTEP beat them.

Of course, A&M-CC beat UTEP this season. A&M-CC might or might not make the NCAA Tourney again this season, but they are 2nd in their conference right now.

So, UTEP doesn't lose to them year in and year out. UTEP beat a pretty good one last season, but not this season.

That being said, I think A&M-CC would be a middle-of-the-pack CUSA team, and we all want UTEP to be better than middle-of-the-pack.
Is it really that bad that we are talking about A&M-CC as a tough opponent for UTEP?

If you brought that up a few years ago, you would have been laughed at. How UTEP basketball has fallen is absolutely shocking.

So, did Texas do enough to punch a ticket to the Dance?

Losing to K-State in the conference tournament wasn't impressive.

They are in the "best" conference, therefore the committee will probably put them in. I seriously don't think they deserve it, though.

So, did Texas do enough to punch a ticket to the Dance?

Losing to K-State in the conference tournament wasn't impressive.
They have a 28 Net Ranking. New Mexico has a 25 Net Ranking, and they are borderline.

It was a bad loss because K-State has a Net of 70. But Texas will get in as they consider the Big 12 the toughest conference., as there are 9 teams in the top 40 of the NET.
Whether that pans out is debatable as the conferences OOC was very weak.

They have a 28 Net Ranking. New Mexico has a 25 Net Ranking, and they are borderline.

It was a bad loss because K-State has a Net of 70. But Texas will get in as they consider the Big 12 the toughest conference., as there are 9 teams in the top 40 of the NET.
Whether that pans out is debatable as the conferences OOC was very weak.
It's funny because they're not even top 50 in the RPI (ranked 60 right now), and I think that's more accurate, but of course the NCAA uses the NET ranking now. I think the NET ranking is crap. They have Michigan St. at 23.

It's funny because they're not even top 50 in the RPI (ranked 60 right now), and I think that's more accurate, but of course the NCAA uses the NET ranking now. I think the NET ranking is crap. They have Michigan St. at 23.
I agree with you. Mountain West really shines in the RPI as it matches their NET. Not so much with the Big 12.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT