ADVERTISEMENT

Positives/Negatives from Saturday

I agree with this FanatiCoog. The coaches need to maximize the limited playmakers we do have. The biggest weakness I see, and they are numerous, is the play of the offensive line. Basically, the entire offensive line is new, with the exception of Brooks, who was pulled last year for poor play. Last night they showed no ability to run or pass block effectively. Obviously, the coaches can see this, and it will be something to watch as the year progresses to see if there is any type of improvement. The playmakers can't make plays when the big guys up front don't do their job. It's going to be an uphill battle for sure.

Could not agree more, Lil Train.

Reactions: miner1liner
Positives:
- the weather was really nice so all that heat people complaining about the early start talked about didn't happen

-the pictures on the concourse look good

-I like the new uniforms

Negatives
-penalties

-turnovers

-offense was flat

-defense was depressing

-our team lost to an FCS team

-the social media "UTEP should cut football and add baseball" pipedreamers are back

-the social media "UTEP should cut football and add baseball" pipedreamers are back[/QUOTE]

These people are dumbasses. They're probably same people who think UTEP can be a basketball power. If we dropped football we would be forced into the WAC or Southland. One of the geniuses should explain how that would benefit basketball or a newly added baseball program.

Of course the biggest negative is the team's poor performance. Although right up there is the sparse crowd. I know they were 0-12 last year, but it's a new year a new coach, a new AD, and a new QB and to have only 17K in attendance shows the apathy El Paso sports fans have with UTEP football. Not that it isn't deserved, it's just sad.

Of course the biggest negative is the team's poor performance. Although right up there is the sparse crowd. I know they were 0-12 last year, but it's a new year a new coach, a new AD, and a new QB and to have only 17K in attendance shows the apathy El Paso sports fans have with UTEP football. Not that it isn't deserved, it's just sad.

That’s why I don’t believe we’ll ever see a full sun bowl until this team wins and wins big unfortunately. Long term, that showing doesn’t bode well with revenue or selling to recruits.

This program does not have enough good will with the community to where people are willing to attend games even when they suck. But at the same time are there any perennial lose programs in any sport that are consistently selling out of that have amazing attendance?

Reactions: minermx07
Dallas Cowboys

But at the same time how many of the fans are still living off the great years in the 70s and 90s? And let’s not forget when they played San Francisco in Dallas a couple years back and that thing looked like a home game for the Niners.

I am a Cowboy fan through and through but this was embarrassing.
Bw-DAV6IUAAKwgp.jpg:large

Reactions: minermx07
This program does not have enough good will with the community to where people are willing to attend games even when they suck. But at the same time are there any perennial lose programs in any sport that are consistently selling out of that have amazing attendance?
The cubs as HeWore stated. Northwestern, Syracuse, Rutgers, Maryland

Most of Northwestern's sell outs were during losing seasons (2006 was 4-8 as an example)
http://hailtopurple.com/cde/attendance_records.html

Can you name another college that has the attendance that UTEP has or better with similar results? I can’t

Cubs, Cowboys, most professional teams are still professional and are on another level.

But at the same time how many of the fans are still living off the great years in the 70s and 90s? And let’s not forget when they played San Francisco in Dallas a couple years back and that thing looked like a home game for the Niners.

I am a Cowboy fan through and through but this was embarrassing.
Bw-DAV6IUAAKwgp.jpg:large

[Raises hand]

Can you name another college that has the attendance that UTEP has or better with similar results? I can’t

Cubs, Cowboys, most professional teams are still professional and are on another level.

As bad as those two franchises have been you can’t compare their levels of futility to UTEP over the last 50 years. An 0-12 season and a 50+ year bowl drought, and 2 conference Championships EVER is bad.
The Browns, or The Marlins as of right now would be an apt comparison. Maybe The Indians in Major League when their owner was trying to sabotage the team. Ha ha

No matter how fast our wide receivers are, no matter how big our tight ends are, if they can't catch a football, all that size and speed mean nothing. Get open and catch the ball. Mean while, Locksley can still improve his touch on those passes.
I have questions about the season ending injuries to the two O linemen. How close to game day did these injuries happen? If Dimel had very little time to make adjustments for the first game I'll cut him some slack this time. But the line better show improvement going forward.

As bad as those two franchises have been you can’t compare their levels of futility to UTEP over the last 50 years. An 0-12 season and a 50+ year bowl drought, and 2 conference Championships EVER is bad.
The Browns, or The Marlins as of right now would be an apt comparison.

It's bad but I think our longest bowl drought was only 22 years. 66-88. But I get your point it's pretty bad.

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
The Browns, or The Marlins as of right now would be an apt comparison. Maybe The Indians in Major League when their owner was trying to sabotage the team. Ha ha

The Browns have been bad since they returned, but they made some AFC Championship games. Again, that’s the NFL and the people of Cleveland will never abandon that team.

The Marlins have attendance issues, and I would say worse off, fan wise, than UTEP.

UTEP has pretty good attendance for 50 years of junk against minor league foes. Northwestern and Rutgers have been bad, but look at who they get to play. Imagine if Michigan, Miami FL, Ohio St, and West Virginia were coming here pre-Kugler.

The Browns have been bad since they returned, but they made some AFC Championship games. Again, that’s the NFL and the people of Cleveland will never abandon that team.

The Marlins have attendance issues, and I would say worse off, fan wise, than UTEP.

UTEP has pretty good attendance for 50 years of junk against minor league foes. Northwestern and Rutgers have been bad, but look at who they get to play. Imagine if Michigan, Miami FL, Ohio St, and West Virginia were coming here pre-Kugler.

I think what’s hurting now is that there are more entertainment choices in the city. There was a Chihuahuas game yesterday as well. They’ve clinched the division and they had 9,559 fans in attendance. How many of those fans would have gone to the Miner game if they offered up a better on the field product? We’ve all discussed how their atmosphere, stadium and product is as good if not better than UTEP’s.

This is a TERRIBLE stretch. However, in this century it's been proven UTEP football can be competitive. The last three coaches have all led us to winning seasons and bowl games. During the Stull regime football was the most successful revenue sport going to five bowl games compared to three NCAA tournaments for the hoops squad. We've proven we can be competitive. Theres alot more that needs to be done. There no reason or excuse for us not to be a perennial winner.

I think what’s hurting now is that there are more entertainment choices in the city. There was a Chihuahuas game yesterday as well. They’ve clinched the division and they had 9,559 fans in attendance. How many of those fans would have gone to the Miner game if they offered up a better on the field product? We’ve all discussed how their atmosphere, stadium and product is as good if not better than UTEP’s.

True. More choices plus terrible product/attitude over the years have definitely kept fans out. The CDogs might have announced 9k, but highly unlikely there was that many there. Every time I go, there’s tons of empty seats. I’m sure they have a lot of fans who don’t use their tickets.

Pretty sad when a baseball team who plays 70 home games can get over 50% of UTEPs home opener with a new coach and AD

Reactions: El Paso Is Great
Oh No. Kugler straight up sucked. He torpedoed the program because he had no eye for talent, he insisted on wanting a kid from every HS in El Paso and he was about as tactically flexible as some civil war general who marches his troops head first into battle. It’s way too early to say if Dimel will be better than Price. He has his work cut out for him.

Dont you remember everyone calling for people to recruit more el paso talent?? that was the calling (which i said was ridiculous but whatever) and now kugler was criticized for it?? I hope this ship turns around but it will be at least 3-4 years before dimel can get anything going....

All the promotion was done with the hiring of Dimel. Most casual fan in El Paso had no idea who he was. They google his record and came to the conclusion that nothing has changed.

What do you think the attendance and city excitement would have been if we had been able to land Miles as our head coach?

Reactions: El Paso Is Great
All the promotion was done with the hiring of Dimel. Most casual fan in El Paso had no idea who he was. They google his record and came to the conclusion that nothing has changed.

What do you think the attendance and city excitement would have been if we had been able to land Miles as our head coach?

If we had the money? More hype, sold out sun bowl, same result. Still have the same players, as you said “they’re his (dimal’s) players” the poll you posted. They would have been Miles’ players too

I’m about to take a break from reading this board. Yea, the loss was an absolute embarrassment for the city, but also for the players and coaches; you really think they wanted that result? The “now now now” mentality is sad and not practical. Everyone said this is a rebuilding year, and that’s what it is

Reactions: MineroFanatico
If we had the money? More hype, sold out sun bowl, same result. Still have the same players, as you said “they’re his (dimal’s) players” the poll you posted. They would have been Miles’ players too

I’m about to take a break from reading this board. Yea, the loss was an absolute embarrassment for the city, but also for the players and coaches; you really think they wanted that result? The “now now now” mentality is sad and not practical. Everyone said this is a rebuilding year, and that’s what it is

Weird. UCF went winless in 2015 and hired a young assistant coach and won 6 games and went to a bowl game in 2016. I guess "wait wait wait" is good enough for UTEP fans only.

Maybe UTEP should have hired an up-and-coming assistant and not someone who is a bonafied "loser" and not been a head coach for 2 decades.

Weird. UCF went winless in 2015 and hired a young assistant coach and won 6 games and went to a bowl game in 2016. I guess "wait wait wait" is good enough for UTEP fans only.

Maybe UTEP should have hired an up-and-coming assistant and not someone who is a bonafied "loser" and not been a head coach for 2 decades.

Not a very good comparison. Frost took over a pretty good roster at UCF. Had back to back conference championships and a BCS bowl win before that 0-12 season. They had an NFL QB, very good recruiting classes. UCF was a good program that had a bad season, UTEP is a dreadful program.

Not a very good comparison. Frost took over a pretty good roster at UCF. Had back to back conference championships and a BCS bowl win before that 0-12 season. They had an NFL QB, very good recruiting classes. UCF was a good program that had a bad season, UTEP is a dreadful program.

Years ago someone posted here that they thought The Sun Bowl must have been built on an ancient Indian burial site. Although it was a joke I always find myself thinking of that statement every time UTEP fails to get any positive traction. The years/decades of failure at UTEP have compounded to the point where we got 17k at our home opener and fans were walking out by the third quarter. Here we are just over 24 hours into week one and we are already questioning our AD and HC, and we are the die hard fans that show up to the games. So I can only imagine how negative the people are who don’t even bother showing up to the games. I feel like the next two weeks can get ugly real quick, and NMSU may be our best chance for a win.

ITEM ONE / LOCAL TALENT: If UTEP wants local talent, let them walk on and earn a spot on the team. Every year there are two maybe three local players who are good enough to be offered a scholarship. Going after them is fine, just don't have an automatic open door for players who will only ride the bench.
ITEM TWO / PATIENCE: It has been mentioned that more than one interviewee for the coaching job pointed out UTEPs D2 talent level. Kugler left the barest cupboard of talent in modern times. His only truly good athletes are now in the NFL. Past new coaches have had more talent coming in. Both Price and Stull have been mentioned as inheritors of talent. Dimel managed to bring in a hand full of talented players. That's good, but he needs three or four times what he brought in in a short recruiting period for it to really show up on the field. Sadly, UTEP football is going to continue to be a dumpster fire until Dimel gets more talent on the field. We'll see if he can do it. This season we'll find out how good he and his bigger staff are at coaching up what talent he's got. Let's see how good Dimel is, so be patient.

Out two biggest problems are o line (injuries), and receivers. Dimiel should have seen the lack of speed or talent and gone after a few. Maybe he did and was unsuccessful, give the man some time.

Reactions: axingfools1
Out two biggest problems are o line (injuries), and receivers. Dimiel should have seen the lack of speed or talent and gone after a few. Maybe he did and was unsuccessful, give the man some time.

I don’t recall Barboza or Justin Garrett seeing the field on a Saturday. I hope those JUCO guys see the field eventually, because if they can’t beat out the guys ahead of them that’s a problem.

Reactions: Lil_Train
I don’t recall Barboza or Justin Garrett seeing the field on a Saturday. I hope those JUCO guys see the field eventually, because if they can’t beat out the guys ahead of them that’s a problem.

Barboza was dressed. Don't recall seeing him on the field. Justin Garrett was in street clothes with his jersey on

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT