ADVERTISEMENT

Possible head basketball coaches

It has now been 22 hours since the Las Vegas MWC guy broke the news about Terry coming to UTEP. If it is in fact Terry, then this will be another example of how stuck in the mud the local El Paso media has been on not being able to break UTEP coaching news under Senter. It’s funny how the Las Vegas guy first tweeted the news about Terry yesterday, then immediately starting about 20 minutes after he tweeted that, Andy Morgan and other local El Paso media began “piggy-backing” off that tweet without any of them adding any further details/information. It appeared that they just saw the tweet and then tried to pass it off as inside info by only saying that he has emerged as a favorite. Remember the El Paso media was also completely on the outside during the Dimel hire as well, nobody had that Dimel information in advance, so it wouldn’t surprise me if the same thing were to happen again here.

Natty says that he made some calls yesterday and confirmed that Terry will be our coach, but Natty also confirmed the Thik Bol signing a few years ago(when he didn’t), he claimed that Mack Leftwich was the exact same size as Russell Wilson because he had “stood next to both them”(which he isn’t), stated that Paul Thomas could be a comparable talent to Kevin Durant(which he isn’t), and was “70% sure that Ron Sanchez will be our next coach” earlier in this very same thread. So I don’t mind him or others being right, but i’ll probably stay a bit cautious until someone on the Fresno side confirms that Terry is officially gone from their end.

By the way, speaking of Kevin Durant, Terry apparently had a key role in recruiting him to Texas.

Last edited:
You are right on the money Defense. Our local media are a bunch of piggy back gravy trainers that are trolling this board hoping for one of us to break something for them like we have in the past. Quit trolling the boards and get to work and get us some information.

It has now been 22 hours since the Las Vegas MWC guy broke the news about Terry coming to UTEP. If it is in fact Terry, then this will be another example of how stuck in the mud the local El Paso media has been on not being able to break UTEP coaching news under Senter. It’s funny how the Las Vegas guy first tweeted the news about Terry yesterday, then immediately starting about 20 minutes after he tweeted that, Andy Morgan and other local El Paso media began “piggy-backing” off that tweet without any of them adding any further details/information. It appeared that they just saw the tweet and then tried to pass it off as inside info by only saying that he has emerged as a favorite. Remember the El Paso media was also completely on the oustide during the Dimel hire as well, nobody had that Dimel information in advance, so it wouldn’t surprise me if the same thing were to happen again here.

Natty says that he made some calls yesterday and confirmed that Terry will be our coach, but Natty also confirmed the Thik Bol signing a few years ago(when he didn’t), he claimed that Mack Leftwich was the exact same size as Russell Wilson because he had “stood next to both them”(which he isn’t), stated that Paul Thomas could be a comparable talent to Kevin Durant(which he isn’t), and was “70% sure that Ron Sanchez will be our next coach” earlier in this very same thread. So I don’t mind him or others being right, but i’ll probably stay a bit cautious until someone on the Fresno side confirms that Terry is officially gone from their end.

By the way, speaking of Kevin Durant, Terry apparently had a key role in recruiting him to Texas.
Hey I have some pin point calls in my 10 years on this board too lol

Make some calls about Mark Fox and redeem yourself.
I've heard nothing to change from Terry at this point. Fox may have inquired, but not sure if he'll get an interview. Unless something changes Terry should get announced as early as Tues. Things could change, but ive heard nothing to lead me to believe it will. They are very high on Terry and I hear working out a deal of both parties can agree of course.

Last edited:
I'm not buying it. NO ONE saw the Dimel hire coming. There were ZERO rumors about him before the news broke. Once it broke, it was announced shortly after. I believe Senter keeps things very well to himself. As well as the football hire was quiet, it's hard to believe the basketball could be so easily known.
As bad as most sports guys are in El Paso, you would THINK someone would have seen a coach sighting at an airport, if Terry was indeed our guy. You aren't hearing anything from Fresno State saying he's gone, nor has anyone of relevance acknowledging this rumor to be true. (except Natty of course)

Until it's announced, I don't believe crap!

It has now been 22 hours since the Las Vegas MWC guy broke the news about Terry coming to UTEP. If it is in fact Terry, then this will be another example of how stuck in the mud the local El Paso media has been on not being able to break UTEP coaching news under Senter. It’s funny how the Las Vegas guy first tweeted the news about Terry yesterday, then immediately starting about 20 minutes after he tweeted that, Andy Morgan and other local El Paso media began “piggy-backing” off that tweet without any of them adding any further details/information. It appeared that they just saw the tweet and then tried to pass it off as inside info by only saying that he has emerged as a favorite. Remember the El Paso media was also completely on the outside during the Dimel hire as well, nobody had that Dimel information in advance, so it wouldn’t surprise me if the same thing were to happen again here.

Also let it be known I didn't break this story. My source heard from a source that broke it, so I'm just saying it is true what we've been hearing n has been reported. Now if this is all some smoke and mirror plot to further discredit me, well then so be it lol

Reactions: EPTUTEP
In fairness, I actually met Natty one time after a show that he did. At that time I didn’t know that you were a person on this board until you later posted that type of information, but you were extremely nice to both me and my Wife. Seemed like you were a really good guy and I genuinely mean that. So yes, I do believe that Natty has the ability to have resources with inside info, but there have also been the big misses as well, so i’m just playing it cautious.

Every indication is that Terry is the guy, but nobody in the El Paso media appears to have the inside info to confirm it. For Terry’s sake, I almost hope he gets it simply because it appears to have reached a point where it will be hard for him to return to Fresno if he doesn’t get it.

In fairness, I actually met Natty one time after a show that he did. At that time I didn’t know that you were a person on this board until you later posted that type of information, but you were extremely nice to both me and my Wife. Seemed like you were a really good guy and I genuinely mean that. So yes, I do believe that Natty has the ability to have resources with inside info, but there have also been the big misses as well, so i’m just playing it cautious.

Every indication is that Terry is the guy, but nobody in the El Paso media appears to have the inside info to confirm it. For Terry’s sake, I almost hope he gets it simply because it appears to have reached a point where it will be hard for him to return to Fresno if he doesn’t get it.
Well Thanks and I was way off on Paul Smith, but that was more of me hoping what was said about him was true, it obviously was not. He showed flashes of being an all conference player last year at least, the later a huge egg this year. I hope for this kid that was coaching and he finishes strong at least. I had heard early Steve Forbes and Ron Sanchez were lead candidates and I don't back down from that. Forbes said no and Sanchez said he wouldnt talk til UVA's season was over. So Utep was interested, but had to move forward. Sometimes people on ybis board choose to only remember the misses. I'm not in the media, but I know people so ill take 50% or above on my info and be happy with that lol

I believe the one knock on him was that when he played v quality opponents he could not beat them. Am I wrong?

I believe the one knock on him was that when he played v quality opponents he could not beat them. Am I wrong?

Major knock on him and why I think his record is a little fraudulent. Think about how down the Mountain West has been compared to where it was when he was hired. UNLV been down, UNM down, SDSU has been past the peak years of Fischer, Colorado State down. Plus the conference added more WAC teams to fill out the bottom so Fresno State found a nice spot in the middle of the pack in the conference to settle into.

Major knock on him and why I think his record is a little fraudulent. Think about how down the Mountain West has been compared to where it was when he was hired. UNLV been down, UNM down, SDSU has been past the peak years of Fischer, Colorado State down. Plus the conference added more WAC teams to fill out the bottom so Fresno State found a nice spot in the middle of the pack in the conference to settle into.
First 2 years were rebuilding after probation.... Then had 4 straight 20 win seasons NCAA NIT and this year lost stud point guard to end the season if not who knows. Oh and no support and shotty recruiting budget. Yet was still betger than Floyd in a lesser conf

Has only finished higher than 4th in the conference once. MW is better than C-USA sure but still barely more than a 1-bid league the last five years. So four 20 win seasons in 7 years is enough?

Quality hire. I mean we were looking at guys with similar records from smaller conferences, Randy Rhae et al.

I have built a lot of trust in Senter and if he has chosen to hang his AD reputation on Terry to be his first major basketball hire at a basketball school, then I am good with giving him the benefit of the doubt. It's not like Senter recklessly hired Phil Johnson or something. Senter got to know the candidates better than anyone and he chose Terry to be the person to join what he is trying to build here, so again, at this point that is good enough for me.
Plus, remember the Dimel hiring didn't appear to be that great when it was first announced, but then after some time it began to make more and more sense.

Terry and Dimel both have some similarities: they both have recruited Texas heavily in the past, they both have prior Head Coaching experience. It appears that Senter prefers this model over the young assistant type.

Last edited:
Sanchez was available real quick. He may not be as hot of a commodity right now though after UVA became the 1st 1 seed ever to lose against a 16 seed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT