ADVERTISEMENT

Possible head basketball coaches

Let’s just hope Dooley, Harper, and Rahe are on Senters list for coaches with head coaching experience and he is still waiting to interview the top assistant coaches to finishing his assistant coach list. It’s frustrating how we went from having a 70% chance of landing a top assistant coach named Ron Sanchez to “ big giant yawn” Dooley, Harper, and Rahe.
Its early relax Ron Sanchez may still be put there!

Another interesting candidate in my opinion.

At this point, among the interviewees, I’m for Terry or Ogden, with Dooley in a distant 3rd.

Reactions: Lil_Train
I’m sure you’ll read this on the CUSAbbs board but for those who don’t visit that site here’s a summary from a respectable WKU fan.

RE: UTEP Basketball HC Search

(Today 12:49 PM)JCMiner Wrote: Can anyone from WKU tell me exactly what forced the Harper resignation. He started off really hot. Was he mainly using the previous coach players and then once his recruits came in the talent dropped off?
He never was the choice of Western's president but after taking over from the mess of KDM then turning around the team and fans ( avg attendance in the 5500 range) then winning the SBC and going to the NCAA Tourney....

President Ransdall had no choice but to hire Harper. But Harper had his hands tied and couldn't clean house because of APR numbers . Then in year two our pg was out 10 games in the middle of the season and Western loss some close game....once the PG came back Western started winning and won the SBC tourney again.

With that in mind...Harper is the only coach in the history of Western that did not get the roll over year. Other wise in July a coaches contract rolls over for another year and a coach is always working with a 4 year contract.

Three players on Harpers last team ran a train on a girl and it was recorded. The tape got out and daddy didn't like the fact of it. All three we suspended. From what I heard the girl was a willing figure in the sex and recording....

yet she was not kicked off the tennis (I believe it was tennis) team. Don't know if it's true or not but I was told this was the 2nd sex tape this girl had made.

No one can make me believe that if it was white players it would have been a issue. I was also told that two of the player could have returned if Stansbury wanted them. He didn't so they were released of their scholarship.

Harper is about as good of a bench coach there is His weakness is recruiting but with a good budget I think that could be fixed. Again for the first time that I've been keeping up with Western's budgets....the Mens basketball team was cut almost $200,000 in Harpers 3rd season.

5.5 seasons and 3 ncaa tourneys and the least amount of games he won was 18, 20,20,20,21.

But in the end he wasn't the hire Gary Ransdell....back to back ncaa tourney bid and the team held their own vs Kansas and #1 uk and did not earn a roll over year...that tells you what Western was thinking
My take away from this is that 3 players had a train with this girl, so was there an odd man out on camera duty or were all 3 involved in the train See and this is exactly why I don't ride trains! Lol

If Terry is signed through 2021, that means we would have to pay $2 mill just to get him out of his contract, where as we could pay $2 mill and give a guy 4 years to build a program.

If Terry is signed through 2021, that means we would have to pay $2 mill just to get him out of his contract, where as we could pay $2 mill and give a guy 4 years to build a program.
Good point. We are in no position to be buying out coaches contracts.

I doubt Senter would even waste time interviewing a coach had a 2 million dollar buyout. I’m sure it’s an affordable amount if he took the time to interview him.

Wow No Buy Out! Honestly this is the first I heard his name and the more I look, I'd love this move!!! HC experience and success in what most would say a better Conference and Yay ill say it, A Minority Coach at a University that spirited Racial equality in Collegiate Athletics! Maybe this is one of the reasons he interviewed as what most would see as a lateral move or even step down. Maybe he see what Utep was and could be again? I don't know if we coyld land him, but he's now up there high on my wish list. I've already mentioned one coach who in fact was named today in Forbes, but this guy I was unaware of, but pleasantly surprised he was on the list.

Does Fresno st still have that lil Mexican kid that tore us up in the CBI? And can Terry bring more players like him to UTEP?

I actually like him better than Forbes. I hope Senter is able to lure him out to El Paso. His budget will be significantly more at UTEP than at Fresno, so that may be part of the interest as well.

A minority coach---- I wonder when we will grow up enough to stop worrying about stupid things like these?

A minority coach---- I wonder when we will grow up enough to stop worrying about stupid things like these?
As an African American, I'll say it will stop mattering, when it doesn't matter and we're along way from that in sports and
It'll stop mattering when it stops mattering! I hope you understood that simple statement. I'm an African American and I wish everything was easy as you say about it not being an issue trust me, but sometimes it just is Man. My point though was about being apart of the Historical Significance and could you imagine if he came and one day won a National Championship here! I'm getting a head of myself, but wanted you to understand my point was about more than you may have understood.

Reactions: unihom
To recap:

@PURPLEFIRE not only wishes Floyd was still the coach and blamed Barbee and other things for his shortcomings, but now he thinks we shouldn't worry about "stupid things" like minorities getting jobs.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Maybe when more minorities get jobs. Especially at a school filled with them. Especially at one that was a "trailblazer" for the civil rights movement.

No one is owed anything--- it's just sad to me this is still an issue.... you have people who think they are owed something because of skin color and others that think they shouldn't be given a chance because of it..... it's about time we move on from this stupidity... just my opinion

Reactions: Dmanminer
To recap:

@PURPLEFIRE not only wishes Floyd was still the coach and blamed Barbee and other things for his shortcomings, but now he thinks we shouldn't worry about "stupid things" like minorities getting jobs.

That is ridiculous--- barbee did in fact leave the team in a tough spot with scholarships to fill and I don't want barber back because he didn't care about this place---/ if he comes back and has the smallest amount of success I bet he would bolt again without thinking twice about utep m

Anyone should get a job if they are QUALIFIED..... like those morons shouting how utep should recrut more El Paso people because they are from El Paso.... that worked out well

Anyone should get a job if they are QUALIFIED..... like those morons shouting how utep should recrut more El Paso people because they are from El Paso.... that worked out well

I agree on that and I don't think that anyone should get a job because of their race or gender. But to say that it is stupid, is stupid. Minorities should get more opportunities to get college coaching and administrative jobs. Doesn't mean they should get it or that its not a problem.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
I want Terry not cuz he’s black but cuz he has won at a similar mid major like us. Plus the bragging points we would have after poaching a MW coach would be sweet.

I actually like Terry's resume--- would not mind at all him being the next coach --- is he a good recruiter?

Fresno just lost to SDSU in the MWC tourney. I would expect some type of post season for them; they went into their tourney as the number 4 seed.

Fresno just lost to SDSU in the MWC tourney. I would expect some type of post season for them; they went into their tourney as the number 4 seed.
Speaking of SDSU's win over Fresno St, apparently at yesterdays game, Aztec fans were rubbing it in per this tweet:

Geoff Grammer‏@GeoffGrammer 13h13 hours ago

And now, San Diego State fans -- @TheShowSDSU -- chanting "U-TEP! U-TEP! U-TEP!" toward Fresno State bench as head coach Rodney Terry reportedly interviewed there for the Miners head coaching job.

2:35 PM - 8 Mar 2018

Reactions: unihorn and JCorona
For what its worth, I heard it from a friend that Greg Foster was coming to ELP on Saturday and possible announcement from UTEP this weekend........ Just got update, no announcement this weekend....sorry guys..

Last edited:
For what its worth, I heard it from a friend that Greg Foster was coming to ELP on Saturday and possible announcement from UTEP this weekend........ Just got update, no announcement this weekend....sorry guys..
Well this is disappointing. How does Utep dangle Terry in front of us then get us Foster?

Reactions: EPTUTEP

I hope you're wrong. The Bucks have a home game tonight and play again on Monday in Memphis. So timeline may fit, though it would be in the late afternoon tomorrow or on Sunday.

I hope that your friend is incorrect. From the names we've heard, Terry would be my first choice, Ogden second. Foster ranks no where near the top.

Are you saying Foster will be hired?

Ironically just ran in to Coach Johnson. Told him alot of people dont understand the tough hand you were dealt and good job handling it with class n getting the kids to work hard n never quit. I asked him have u heard about the HC position and his words. "It's not me and they already have their guy"

I doubt THIS will happen, but if it is, I am DONE with UTEP basketball. I will call immediately and drop my tickets.

On another note, I heard from a different source we may get a different person and quite honestly, that candidate gets me stoked!

I doubt THIS will happen, but if it is, I am DONE with UTEP basketball. I will call immediately and drop my tickets.

On another note, I heard from a different source we may get a different person and quite honestly, that candidate gets me stoked!

And that candidate's name is ...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT