ADVERTISEMENT

Possible head basketball coaches

Is UTEP basketball ready to enter the millionaires club?
No. Money will be going to capital improvements. Some are already are in the works according to some sources straight from this site. The SB needs badly needed repairs, upgrades, remodeling and such.

Senter clearly showed with Dimel hire they aren't going to play that game and I say as of right now in this point of history, it is a smart move. If we want a cool mil coach, sell out the Sun Bowl for UTEP games....often. Right now the only tenant that is selling out the Sun Bowl is the annual Monster Truck Show and why that may put UTEP in the black, that doesn't go to salaries for football staff.

Forbes is 'leaving the door open for negotiations if the right opportunity comes along'. Maybe he is referring to Kentucky?

Reactions: EPTUTEP
The more I look into it and think about it, the more I am all in on Ogden. Young and energetic. Would look to use UTEP as a stepping stone by turning trash into treasure. Has the proximity to land some guys at UTEP that he had been trying to get to TT. No sense of complacency has set in yet. Basically what Broaddus, who wrote the article above, said but it’s what I’ve been leaning more and more towards the last couple days.

I’d be good with Forbes and pretty good with Terry, but just not sure bringing an older dog in is the direction Senter should take with the bb program at this time. I want someone that is hungry, not someone making a near lateral move that just needs a little snack to tide him over for the next few years. Give Ogden 3-4 years to make drastic improvements. If not done in that time, adios amigo.

Reactions: axingfools1
The more I look into it and think about it, the more I am all in on Ogden. Young and energetic. Would look to use UTEP as a stepping stone by turning trash into treasure. Has the proximity to land some guys at UTEP that he had been trying to get to TT. No sense of complacency has set in yet. Basically what Broaddus, who wrote the article above, said but it’s what I’ve been leaning more and more towards the last couple days.

I’d be good with Forbes and pretty good with Terry, but just not sure bringing an older dog in is the direction Senter should take with the bb program at this time. I want someone that is hungry, not someone making a near lateral move that just needs a little snack to tide him over for the next few years. Give Ogden 3-4 years to make drastic improvements. If not done in that time, adios amigo.
Ogden is ready. He has been an assistant at a high level and has been a part of some huge recruiting classes over the past ten years, not to mention now at Texas Tech which is blowing up AND brought in some underrated freshmam like Zhaire Smith (Who CTF recruited as well). Im liking him more and more. Someone else made a good point about his proximity to us and his ties to Texas and the South as well.

I think the Ogden hire would be solid as well, although I would still lean towards Terry. Either way, I hope that some type of announcement will be made soon to start to put the pieces together, and move forward.

Can you tell me why you are of this opinion? Just looking for insight. His record is barely above .500 in 6 years. To me this sounds like a guy just looking for something new.

I like that he has head coaching experience. I like that he received a program that was a mess and was able to turn it around. I like that he was able to take that same program to the postseason multiple times, including a NCAA appearance, in a conference much tougher than our own. I think that he will do well here.

I like that he has head coaching experience. I like that he received a program that was a mess and was able to turn it around. I like that he was able to take that same program to the postseason multiple times, including a NCAA appearance, in a conference much tougher than our own. I think that he will do well here.
He is also regarded as a top notch recruiter, and his connections in Texas, in particular, will hopefully pay dividends. He should be able to put together a nice staff as well.

Made some calls and looks like Terry is our guy! No Complaints here. Forbes turned us down and will be a Power 5 coach and Ron Sanchez didn't want to talk to Utep til UVA season finished so Utep made a Choice! It needed to be quick it needed to be a splash and I love it!!! Welcome Coach Terry!

Reactions: Lil_Train
Thanks for your thoughts guys. Not my 1st choice, but he can turn things around, I will support him. Just please no 5 year contracts with a huge buyout. We can't do that in our current situation.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
He outrecruited Floyd (and some others) for a bunch of guys. He has a very guard heavy team, which fits our players currently.
This is not a news flash, but the sooner he signs; the better. Needs to see who he wants to keep and then go get some stud inside help. He's already been on the recruiting trail. Hope he can still find some immediate contributors.
This is kind of exciting ...the prospects of renewed hope.

Great hire. Look what he was able to do at Fresno having a recruiting budget in the bottom third in much more difficult conference. He will have an $800,000 recruiting budget increase at UTEP and be at the top of CUSA. And on top of that, we get to swoop up a MW school’s coach and pay absolutely nothing for a buy out, makes this hire even more sweet.

Weird. He' the guy I wanted when Stull hired Barbee. Now he seems average to me. Hope the stuff about doing more with less in the MWC amounts to better results.

Reactions: axingfools1
Weird. He' the guy I wanted when Stull hired Barbee. Now he seems average to me. Hope the stuff about doing more with less in the MWC amounts to better results.
And that's your Opinion, Consensus overall I think is Great Hire!

Last edited:

opinionated.gif

Let’s see if he’s named HC. Nothing is set in stone yet.

“Not a great hire”

I agree but I will give him the benefit of the doubt. I just wish Dan Marjerle” would have been interested. Look what he has done at “Grand Canyon” yea he did lose to NMSU twice this year but both times they had a chance to win, and he also has them in the wac championship right now

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Hopefully Terry isn’t playing with UTEP in order to get a pay increase and an increase in Fresno’s recruiting budget.

Just to add a little perspective on this hire, should it pan out, Fresno St faltered late in the season at least partially due to losing their starting PG to injury. They just were not as good without him. Also, Terry's overall record suffered somewhat due to the fact that he took over FSU when it was at a low point, just coming off probation, very restricted recruiting, 4 losing seasons in a row, etc., so he had a lot to overcome and had a couple of losing seasons to start with.

Reactions: EPTUTEP
“Not a great hire”

I agree but I will give him the benefit of the doubt. I just wish Dan Marjerle” would have been interested. Look what he has done at “Grand Canyon” yea he did lose to NMSU twice this year but both times they had a chance to win, and he also has them in the wac championship right now
NMSU just beat them for the third time this season last night. We should have just kept Floyd if you want a coach who will get swept by NMSU.

NMSU is a good team. Grand Canyon is a nobody and have proven every year that they could compete with Marjerle even with very little talent.

Grand Canyon is a nobody?? Grand Canyon has more going for it than utep does right now...
Well ya they have more going for them right now, they were fortunate not to have a coach named Tim Floyd run their program into the ground. Most programs in the country have more going for them than UTEP right now.

Reactions: KaneFan29
That Floyd mention is pretty lame!! Grand Canyon has money to burn and a willingness to put it into their program.... 30 years from now I can see you all blaming Floyd still.... if our new coach doesbt win it will be because of floyd

That Floyd mention is pretty lame!! Grand Canyon has money to burn and a willingness to put it into their program.... 30 years from now I can see you all blaming Floyd still.... if our new coach doesbt win it will be because of floyd

Actually, I'll give Terry a couple of years to rebuild this mess, after that it's all on him. How many years after Barbee left were you still blaming him for Floyd's woes?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT