ADVERTISEMENT

Rebuilding UTEP athletics

Mar 8, 2018
Hi everyone. Tonight, March 20th, KFOX14 and CBS4 will host a town hall meeting about the future of UTEP athletics.

We'd like to invite you to share your ideas and concerns with Jim Senter himself, Dana Dimel, and Jon Teicher.

This is your chance to speak directly with the boss and hear what he has planned for the fans and the teams.

The town hall starts at 6pm and will probably end around 7:30.

Seating is first come first served. You can RSVP at this link:

http://kfoxtv.com/news/local/your-voice-your-future-town-hall-rebuilding-utep-athletics

Hope to see you all here!

People on this board love to post their opinions and criticize the university. Here's your chance to vocalize them in person to people who can actually do something about it.

Reactions: WordMiner
I've only had limited engagement with Teicher, but he seems to think very highly of himself and gives an air of dismissiveness and defensiveness to all things UTEP athletics. It's the opposite of the tenor and tone that Senter seems to be projecting. My .02

I've only had limited engagement with Teicher, but he seems to think very highly of himself and gives an air of dismissiveness and defensiveness to all things UTEP athletics. It's the opposite of the tenor and tone that Senter seems to be projecting. My .02

The exact same experience as me.

I have posted this before and I'll post it again. My feelings are mixed on Teicher. His play by play is excellent. He's had a real challenge on his hands dealing with this past year's FB and BB failures. It's his off the air, "I'm too important to acknowledge your existance attitude that infuriates me and causes me to truly dislike him". We were boarding the same flight in Dallas after a Miner-SMU game a few years ago. I gave him a hearty hello greeting and he responded with an angry glare as if to say, "don't bother me; you aren't anybody I want to waste my time with". I felt like saying, "So go to Hell you arrogant primadonna". I've tried to overlook that incident and continue to enjoy his play- by- play, but someone needs to have a face-to-face with him. I have encountered him on other occasions most recently at the CUSA Frisco tourney and have looked the other way; choosing not to exchange any pleasantries which I'm sure suits him just fine.
AMEN

Hi everyone. Tonight, March 20th, KFOX14 and CBS4 will host a town hall meeting about the future of UTEP athletics.

We'd like to invite you to share your ideas and concerns with Jim Senter himself, Dana Dimel, and Jon Teicher.

This is your chance to speak directly with the boss and hear what he has planned for the fans and the teams.

The town hall starts at 6pm and will probably end around 7:30.

Seating is first come first served. You can RSVP at this link:

http://kfoxtv.com/news/local/your-voice-your-future-town-hall-rebuilding-utep-athletics

Hope to see you all here!
Wow. Burning the midnight oil early this morning?

I have posted this before and I'll post it again. My feelings are mixed on Teicher. His play by play is excellent. He's had a real challenge on his hands dealing with this past year's FB and BB failures. It's his off the air, "I'm too important to acknowledge your existance attitude that infuriates me and causes me to truly dislike him". We were boarding the same flight in Dallas after a Miner-SMU game a few years ago. I gave him a hearty hello greeting and he responded with an angry glare as if to say, "don't bother me; you aren't anybody I want to waste my time with". I felt like saying, "So go to Hell you arrogant primadonna". I've tried to overlook that incident and continue to enjoy his play- by- play, but someone needs to have a face-to-face with him. I have encountered him on other occasions most recently at the CUSA Frisco tourney and have looked the other way; choosing not to exchange any pleasantries which I'm sure suits him just fine.
AMEN
I can't say where, but I've had the same experience.

Reactions: Lil_Train
I’ve ran into Teicher a few times. He was cool with me. At the RICE game a few years back he was the one that came and approached me.

Anyways here’s a gem from the UNT game.

Reactions: miner1liner
I’ve ran into Teicher a few times. He was cool with me. At the RICE game a few years back he was the one that came and approached me.

Anyways here’s a gem from the UNT game.

Good grief, I appreciate enthusiasm but that's about semi-annoying. Man might want to save a little in case UTEP were to actually win something.

Teicher is straight up arrogant, got WAY too complacent and comfortable a long ago. UTEP athletics is entertainment, pure and simple. Teicher is UTEP's public ambassador, the face (and voice) of the program. Somebody needs to button-hole Senter and tell him he's got a problem that needs fixin', one way ora the other...

AMEN

Known him since I was a student in the 90s. I have only good things to say about him. Such a good guy. Sorry you had a bad experience.

Jon Teicher won't be there and if he is, he's not going to be the "Senter" of it. I think Shelton Dodson is MCing.

If you think Senter is a question dodger, Jon takes the cake.

Reactions: UTEP Grade
As someone in the public eye and someone that wants to be the voice of the athletic department Teisch should know better than to be that way in public. I will say that he did come across a little dick-ish when fans would call in during games. Now granted a lot were probably drunk and some were spouting nonsense but he definitely came across condescending as he hung up on callers on more than one occasion. It almost seemed like no one could challenge him.

I will say that during Kugler’s first year UTEP did a web chat and I asked him if it was lack of talent or the scheme hurting the miners and he honestly said they weren’t good. So I can say I respect his honesty for that. And I do think he’s a great play by play guy and I love his excitement when UTEP wins. Because in reality that guy is a soldier, he’s been to and called ever football and basketball game for how long? And he can’t walk out/turn off the TV or cancel season tickets. So I respect that.

I will not be able to attend the town hall, but I do have a couple of questions?
1. Are they thinking about doing any infrastructure renovations to their athletic facilities (Sun Bowl, Haskins Center, Memorial Gym, Kidd Field) etc.
2. The arena lighting at the DHC has been discussed to make it LED lighting so the lights will turn off and on in a short amount of time.

I will not be able to attend the town hall, but I do have a couple of questions?
1. Are they thinking about doing any infrastructure renovations to their athletic facilities (Sun Bowl, Haskins Center, Memorial Gym, Kidd Field) etc.
2. The arena lighting at the DHC has been discussed to make it LED lighting so the lights will turn off and on in a short amount of time.
I like the idea about the lights coming off and on. Add some spotlights and a better sound system for sure (one that doesn't have volume issues). I know we can't play music during the game, but marketing and in game entertainment needs to improve. Intros can be way better too. Just take examples from the NBA for all this stuff.

I think we also need hype videos for football and basketball. There has to be someone that can put these together.

This is all smoke and mirrors until the queen of mediocrity is no longer our president and we get a president who is passionate about athletics like the presidents at Boise St and Houston. Both those presidents invested significant financial resources into their athletic programs and they are now reaping the benefits. Natalicio doesn't care a lick about UTEP athletics, she never has and she never will.

Sad thing is you’re probably right UTEP-PIGGY. She definitely is the queen of the “woe is me” “we do less with more” Mentality. Take this interview with the Texas Tribune in 2013:

Natalicio’s tenure has also been marked by questions surrounding UTEP’s low graduation rates. Currently, 13 percent of UTEP undergraduate students graduate in four years, up from 2.6 percent in 1999, according to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. Natalicio has garnered attention for openly rejecting the metric and attempting to forge a definition of success that she feels is better tailored for El Paso’s low-income, minority population.

Natalicio noted that the total number of degrees awarded annually by UTEP has grown significantly. Last year, the total was more than 4,300, up from less than 2,200 a decade ago.

“The problem is that not all data are good, not all data are meaningful, and you can do a lot of things with data that will mislead people,” she said. “Much more sophisticated analyses are required.”

https://www.texastribune.org/2013/03/11/after-25-years-ut-el-paso-president-still-making-w/

What part of 13% of students graduate in 4 years was manipulated lady? The more I think about the job this lady does she really loves perpetuating the “El Paso is full of poor dumb Mexicans” stereotype. Makes her look good. My only hope is Senter doesn’t get the “Woe is me labotomy” just like Stull got around 2008.

They’re showing the Town Hall on KFOX and someone already said we should get a HS coach as opposed to overpriced college coaches. The UTEP fan base is a bunch of Bobs.
Does it sound like their liquored up? I wish I could see this.

It was on Twitter. They read the Tweet on TV. He said HS Coaches are more loyal and not likely to quit halfway through the season.

How many times has he had to answer the questions about The MWC or tailgating rules? He will probably have to answer the same questions on Friday... again.

Oh what a surprise? People are bitching about the ticket prices....

Reactions: UTEPDefense
I almost threw up in my mouth when someone said to recruit more local talent. That “fan” obviously doesn’t follow UTEP football. The town hall was pretty much a summation of the message boards. Everything we’ve all bitched and complained about and every wild idea from getting troops involved to getting Juarez involved was brought up.

I almost threw up in my mouth when someone said to recruit more local talent. That “fan” obviously doesn’t follow UTEP football. The town hall was pretty much a summation of the message boards. Everything we’ve all bitched and complained about and every wild idea from getting troops involved to getting Juarez involved was brought up.
Yeah getting J-town fans to significantly come to UTEP events is a unicorn hunt. Love Senter saying we have 750,000 people here in El Paso let's worry about those first.

You have to give it to Senter... he gave logical reasons why things are where they are. He didn’t seem to sugarcoat any answers especially when saying that he needs people to give. Fans were saying they wanted more sports, better stadiums a bigger conference, high school coaches (for whatever reason) and it all comes down to money.

You have to give it to Senter... he gave logical reasons why things are where they are. He didn’t seem to sugarcoat any answers especially when saying that he needs people to give. Fans were saying they wanted more sports, better stadiums a bigger conference, high school coaches (for whatever reason) and it all comes down to money.

I guess it might have been a good time to get commitments from everyone in the audience to give to UTEP Athletics....

Reactions: Cube Jack
I guess it might have been a good time to get commitments from everyone in the audience to give to UTEP Athletics....

True, many of the fans there were the very vocal "gung-ho" types to are seen at most volleyball, soccer, women's basketball, football AND men's basketball games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT