ADVERTISEMENT

Rebuilding UTEP athletics

You have to give it to Senter... he gave logical reasons why things are where they are. He didn’t seem to sugarcoat any answers especially when saying that he needs people to give. Fans were saying they wanted more sports, better stadiums a bigger conference, high school coaches (for whatever reason) and it all comes down to money.
Told you...

We have a winner in Senter. If he can navigate the stupid question and still be polite, he will do well. You know he has to think to himself that if a number of people want $5 tickets to FB games then they should follow a division 2 school. He gets past all that and enthuses the fan base.
One can buy tickets for as low as $9 each and they take payments. How much cheaper do they want them? SMH ‍♂️

One can buy tickets for as low as $9 each and they take payments. How much cheaper do they want them? SMH ‍♂️

You can buy a season ticket at UCF for $99. Its $44 more than UTEP, $5 more per game since they have 7 home games next year.

Their home slate is South Carolina St, FAU, Pittsburgh, SMU, Temple, Navy, and Cincinnati. So they get a P5 game and better conference opponents than UTEP. All for $5 a game more.

Not to mention they were 14-0 last year and actually accomplished things that UTEP will likely never be able to do. UTEP is coming off an 0-12 season in one of the worst FBS conferences and their tickets are only $5 less than a school that is light years ahead of them.

You're a smart guy (allegedly), which school is providing the better value? UCF or UTEP?

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Someone yesterday commented that we should have 5 dollar tickets. And that was 20 minutes after they showed a graphic detailing falling revenue for football. Aren’t high school games like 5 bucks? Come on.

I am reminded of what Chris Rock said years ago, “we’re a nation of D students.” I think some people don’t understand the sheer economics of running the athletic department. They want cheap and then they bitch when the product sucks.

Someone yesterday commented that we should have 5 dollar tickets. And that was 20 minutes after they showed a graphic detailing falling revenue for football. Aren’t high school games like 5 bucks? Come on.

I am reminded of what Chris Rock said years ago, “we’re a nation of D students.” I think some people don’t understand the sheer economics of running the athletic department. They want cheap and then they bitch when the product sucks.

If you were a mechanic and you were successful at 11% of the cars you worked on, how long would you be employed? UTEP has made 6 Bowl games the last 51 years. 6 divided by 51 is 11%. Why should people pay a lot of money for a team that is only successful 11% of the time?

In your own life, you would not continuously go to a restaurant that had good food 11% of the time. You would not buy batteries that only worked 11% of the time. You wouldn't get your hair cut at a place that only did it right 11% of the time.

Do you think Top Golf will be okay with 11% customer satisfaction at their new El Paso franchise?

UTEP is lucky that they even have 11 season ticket holders. People will only pay for crap for so long. UTEP needs to get better, not the fans.

You can buy a season ticket at UCF for $99. Its $44 more than UTEP, $5 more per game since they have 7 home games next year.

Their home slate is South Carolina St, FAU, Pittsburgh, SMU, Temple, Navy, and Cincinnati. So they get a P5 game and better conference opponents than UTEP. All for $5 a game more.

Not to mention they were 14-0 last year and actually accomplished things that UTEP will likely never be able to do. UTEP is coming off an 0-12 season in one of the worst FBS conferences and their tickets are only $5 less than a school that is light years ahead of them.

You're a smart guy (allegedly), which school is providing the better value? UCF or UTEP?
If you were a mechanic and you were successful at 11% of the cars you worked on, how long would you be employed? UTEP has made 6 Bowl games the last 51 years. 6 divided by 51 is 11%. Why should people pay a lot of money for a team that is only successful 11% of the time?

In your own life, you would not continuously go to a restaurant that had good food 11% of the time. You would not buy batteries that only worked 11% of the time. You wouldn't get your hair cut at a place that only did it right 11% of the time.

Do you think Top Golf will be okay with 11% customer satisfaction at their new El Paso franchise?

UTEP is lucky that they even have 11 season ticket holders. People will only pay for crap for so long. UTEP needs to get better, not the fans.
To me the better value is the UTEP tickets. I have absolutely zero interest in UCF and the tickets would go to waste.

That’s a nice little rant you went on with the 11%. Go be a grasshopper T-shirt fan of whatever school is winning at the time. I’ll stick loyally to my university through the many lows and few highs we have.

That's your choice to be loyal and should be commended. However, you can't blame others who choose not to support any school that does not produce results 89% of the time.

So you aren't very smart. Of course, UTEP fans would buy UTEP tickets over UCF. That wasn't what I was asking. Thought it would be obvious.

That's your choice to be loyal and should be commended. However, you can't blame others who choose not to support any school that does not produce results 89% of the time.
Ok cool let them be bandwagon fans it don’t bother me.

The annoying "we need baseball at UTEP" comment again... Mr. Senter shut that one down politely and mentioned Title IX.

I think the Chihuahuas took away El Paso's "need" for a UTEP baseball team, so now it's a "we want baseball at UTEP" comment.

Reactions: Cube Jack
Ticket prices being lower is not the issue. Hell when I went to OSU in 1982, the student tickets if I remember correctly for football were $85 for the season. You can buy a regular bronze season ticket for $50 at UTEP today. Granted a big difference in product on the field.

But that was still 35 years ago....

Ticket prices being lower is not the issue. Hell when I went to OSU in 1982, the student tickets if I remember correctly for football were $85 for the season. You can buy a regular bronze season ticket for $50 at UTEP today. Granted a big difference in product on the field.

But that was still 35 years ago....
Ohio State or Oklahoma State?

Which is more important to the success of the program?
  • Making it easier to fill the seats through lower ticket prices so noise has a stronger influence on games?
  • Or higher ticket prices for a source of revenue that could (I'm guessing) be supplemented with more money games on the away schedule.

Lowering ticket prices has never been a good marketing strategy. We're assuming that people will come see a bad product in a bad atmosphere just because tickets are cheap or free? doesn't work that way. You have to put value into the experience the way the Chihuahuas have to get people to see the entertainment value in the event your putting on. Lowering ticket prices is the lazy man's way of saying you're doing everything to improve attendance. If you put on a good product on the field and in the stands, people with pay what the experience is worth.

Lowering ticket prices has never been a good marketing strategy. We're assuming that people will come see a bad product in a bad atmosphere just because tickets are cheap or free? doesn't work that way. You have to put value into the experience the way the Chihuahuas have to get people to see the entertainment value in the event your putting on. Lowering ticket prices is the lazy man's way of saying you're doing everything to improve attendance. If you put on a good product on the field and in the stands, people with pay what the experience is worth.
You make ticket prices based on on fair market value of a mid major D1 pricing. Having a D1 program has it costs no matter where but you price it based on local economy. Discounting is always a good thing but if a community needs to be realistic that D1 programs require a cash cow infusion.

Reactions: kickballpro
My point is El Pasoans are ill informed what it takes to have FBS and mid major basketball programs.

So wrong, but that's your opinion. You have it backwards. UTEP is the one that is ill informed on what it takes to have FBS and mid major basketball programs.

UTEP kept Mike Price employed for 7 straight losing seasons. And then even brought him back because they thought people liked him. Instead of doing what a real FBS program would have done.

UTEP then hired a buddy of the AD, with no previous college head coaching experience and only tight end and Oline position coach experience. After 4 very mediocre and boring years later, they still brought him back for a 5th year. During this 5th year, they went 0-12 because of this coach.

For basketball they kept an out of touch, old school, bitter, cheater coach for far too long. And he ended up quitting on his players and school, but not without giving excuses throughout his last couple of years. He didn't accomplish anything. Fans stood by him for longer than they should have.

Attendance for both sports went down and its because El Paso "doesn't know what it takes". UTEP is lucky it even has fans. Bob Stull severely damaged this product and Senter has to try and clean it up.

So wrong, but that's your opinion. You have it backwards. UTEP is the one that is ill informed on what it takes to have FBS and mid major basketball programs.

UTEP kept Mike Price employed for 7 straight losing seasons. And then even brought him back because they thought people liked him. Instead of doing what a real FBS program would have done.

UTEP then hired a buddy of the AD, with no previous college head coaching experience and only tight end and Oline position coach experience. After 4 very mediocre and boring years later, they still brought him back for a 5th year. During this 5th year, they went 0-12 because of this coach.

For basketball they kept an out of touch, old school, bitter, cheater coach for far too long. And he ended up quitting on his players and school, but not without giving excuses throughout his last couple of years. He didn't accomplish anything. Fans stood by him for longer than they should have.

Attendance for both sports went down and its because El Paso "doesn't know what it takes". UTEP is lucky it even has fans. Bob Stull severely damaged this product and Senter has to try and clean it up.

You can say there is enough blame to go around.

Not ill informed, just cheap. Nobody cared about tickets prices when we were winning. Win and people will come.

True
ColossalUltimateBlackbird-size_restricted.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT