ADVERTISEMENT

Scotty Walden new UTEP FB Coach

Love him or hate him, UTEP had Bob Stull. He brought good things to UTEP.

He also gambled on coaches whose style and record blew up in his face and alienated some boosters and fans. Kugler sealed his fate.

Don't be shocked if we end up with a winning record next year we are going to be FAST ! looks like we have a decent O-line... its going to be fun post the Nebraska , Colorado ST, and TN games (although I think we steal one of those games!)

Nebraska’s D will be too much for UTEP. Colorado State is the game to steal. I know he played TN well last season too but 1 out of the 3 would be a great boost.

Is it possible that Marion gets hired as OC?? Maybe that's why he stayed? Can Utep out pay UNLV?

Let's hope Walden can bring in some good O and D coordinators as well as position coaches to start his tenure off strong. Go Miners.
Let's Hope he takes his DC with him. JJ Clark was just named Top 35 under 35 and was FCS D Coordinator of the year.

Reactions: JeeberD
And there is no way Marion gets to be part of this staff -- he's already OC at UNLV hes looking for either a HC job or a power 5 OC job. And Scotty Calls the Offense...

Last edited:
Let's Hope he takes his DC with him. JJ Clark was just named Top 35 under 35 and was FCS D Coordinator of the year.
I hope APU doesn't pull an ACU (when we hired Golding) and offer the HC position to the top assistant in order to keep some continuity.

I hope APU doesn't pull an ACU (when we hired Golding) and offer the HC position to the top assistant in order to keep some continuity.
I wouldn't rule it out but his staff is loyal -- UTEP is a great opportunity for all of them... don't worry the staff will be loaded just like the 2024 Miners LETS GO!

Senter email:

Are you ready for a new era of UTEP Football?

I'm excited to introduce you to new Miner Football Head Coach, Scotty Walden, a young and dynamic coach with a proven track record of building winning programs that feature an innovative offense and opportunistic defense.

Coach Walden grew up in Texas football, playing his college ball at Sul Ross State where he also began his coaching career. At age 26, Walden became the youngest head coach in NCAA football, leading East Texas Baptist University. Walden then spent three years at Southern Miss before serving as the head coach at Austin Peay. He turned the Governors into a winner. This season, he led the squad to an undefeated conference campaign, a national ranking, and a playoff bid.

We are fired up to welcome Coach Walden, his wife Callie and his son, Luca, to El Paso and start a new era of UTEP Football. Will you show your support for Coach Walden and UTEP Football by making a commemorative donation?

College athletics is changing quickly and we're taking the steps to position UTEP at the top of our conference. Click the button below to show your support at this critical moment.

I love CSW and the energy and hype that he brings but if we don't win, it's going to get old really fast.
I’m gonna give him a some leeway because hes got his work cut out for him next season. Depending on how the roster shakes out he could have a little bit of a rebuild. Plus they have some tough non conference games next year.

With all the obstacles he’s facing inheriting this Miner program I think his energy and attitude will be key to his success. I’d rather see him animated, trying to rally the troops when they’re down as opposed to sitting there sulking like Kugler.

I’m gonna give him a some leeway because hes got his work cut out for him next season. Depending on how the roster shakes out he could have a little bit of a rebuild. Plus they have some tough non conference games next year.

With all the obstacles he’s facing inheriting this Miner program I think his energy and attitude will be key to his success. I’d rather see him animated, trying to rally the troops when they’re down as opposed to sitting there sulking like Kugler.
I think he's gotta start off quick. Have a bad year and he'll be under the gun recruiting wise.

Only 5 home games next season. Two non-conference money games at Nebraska and Tennessee, you can already count those as losses. At Colorado Srate, possibly winnable. Lose to Southern Utah, you might as well fire Walden immediately. Win half your conference games, NMSU absolutely being one of them. Win 4-5 games in year 1, I’ll be happy.

Only 5 home games next season. Two non-conference money games at Nebraska and Tennessee, you can already count those as losses. At Colorado Srate, possibly winnable. Lose to Southern Utah, you might as well fire Walden immediately. Win half your conference games, NMSU absolutely being one of them. Win 4-5 games in year 1, I’ll be happy.
Good coaches and good teams win on the road. My expectation every year will be minimum 6 wins. In reality, you are most likely correct with 4 or 5 wins.

We can look at it this way: these money games paid for Dimel to go away.

Reactions: FedupMiner
It's not just wins and losses, but how we play and how he coaches that will say a lot.

It's not just wins and losses, but how we play and how he coaches that will say a lot.
If this team hustles and shows a glimmer of hope for the future I’d be willing to accept 4 wins, maybe even 3. I think of that 6 win BCG basketball team, they were awful but those guys left everything on the floor and that made the games enjoyable in a way.

That’s exactly what we should expect and have patience with — that’s a great example with Gillespie first year here

This does look like a good hire but I am not sure if this can be considered a safe one or not. Salarywise UTEP paid better than UNM but UNM just hired Bronco Mendenhall for $1.2 Million. My question is why would UTEP pass this up when they paid less than UNM the last couple of years.
I'm really hoping this was the best decision, but we shall see.

Reactions: JCorona
Will always be one of my favorite Miners teams ever.
That is maybe the one time I’ve enjoyed watching an awful team. There’s a whole generation of fans who have no clue about that team but they were so fun but so awful to watch at the same time. I remember everyone cheering because they’d be diving for loose balls down BIG. If Walden can give me something like that even in defeat I’d be good. But it all starts with the QB. He’s got to nail that down ASAP.

That is maybe the one time I’ve enjoyed watching an awful team. There’s a whole generation of fans who have no clue about that team but they were so fun but so awful to watch at the same time. I remember everyone cheering because they’d be diving for loose balls down BIG. If Walden can give me something like that even in defeat I’d be good. But it all starts with the QB. He’s got to nail that down ASAP.
Being that they hike the hall every 14(?) seconds, I would imagine nailing down a QB he can work with is highest on his priority list.

“Prince” Stewart led squad. He was left for dead by his own personal undoing. Worked his way back on to the team (physical regimen and school) and was a fearless warrior after learning from Hardaway.
Killer was talking about Gillispie's first team, the one that only won 6 games. Prince had graduated long before then, and never played on a losing team

What was the team reception like upon meeting with the current roster?

What’s Scotty’s take on the current players in the portal—any change of hearts?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT