ADVERTISEMENT

Scotty Walden new UTEP FB Coach

It’s a compliment towards the city and fans. UTEP 100% does not deserve the fan support they get. UTEP has given us fools gold for most of the last 30 years.

UTEP can get almost 4,000 to any mens basketball game and 10,000 to any football game. San Jose St can’t do that. Lamar can’t, and many others can’t either.

Aside from basketball and football results, UTEP is doing better at merchandise. Adidas gear seems to be readily available. UTEP is still very poor at fan information and marketin
I disagree. El Pasoans crap on El Paso.

In my lifetime, I have yet to hear from any American anything good about

L.A.
New York
Chicago

But yet the world travels there and moves there.🤔

El Paso is very poorly regarded across the rest of the state. I've literally had people say "Oh, I'm sorry" when I told them I was from EP. I think racism plays a role, but EP is NOT good at marketing itself either. Neither has UTEP been.

Looks like Scotty recognizes this obstacle to recruiting and tackling it head on, and you've got to appreciate that. Does UTEP even have a marketing staff? I thought I remembered some news about hiring someone but have they done anything?
First Time here in EP -- witnessed it at the airport in Dallas because I had a UTEP Sweatshirt on. I stuck up for EP and this place is AWESOME! I love it here... great place to be from.

First Time here in EP -- witnessed it at the airport in Dallas because I had a UTEP Sweatshirt on. I stuck up for EP and this place is AWESOME! I love it here... great place to be from.

What did you witness at the Dallas airport?

Native El Pasoan here. I really don't give a crap what people in other places say about EP. I LOVE EP and would absolutely live there if I could. My wife likes EP fine but would not make the same money there that she does in Dallas; hence, we live in the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex.

El Paso is a GREAT place. Beautiful southwestern city with tons of Mexican cultural influences, the friendliest people in the world, affordable, the BEST Mexican food anywhere outside of the Mexican borders (fvck you San Antonio pretenders even if I love San Antonio itself!) and home to our UTEP Miners (who, sadly, have been mostly losing for the past three decades)!

El Paso is a true diamond that can't seem to move past the "in the rough" stage. Forever in my heart and soul. I will live there again if my wife dies before I do. That I can promise you.

State snobbery towards their own is common and in some cases, relished and used for political power. Santa Fe looks down upon southern New Mexicans. The famous book & movie “The Milagro Beanfield War” is all about that multi century old politically filled one-upsmanship and basically, total screw over and now playing out over the NMSU bball 2023 tragedy and assault. East (and to extent for political reasons North) Texas vs the entire Rio Grande Valley which included El Paso. (Rural ultra Conservative) Eastern Washington vs (Seattle/Ultra Liberal Portland) Western Washington and the infamous NorCal vs SoCal hatred to the point that there was a recent voter pursuant secessionists vote.

Last edited:
State snobbery towards their own is common and in some cases, relished and used for political power. Santa Fe looks down upon southern New Mexicans. The famous book & movie “The Milagro Beanfield War” is all about that multi century old politically filled one-upsmanship and basically, total screw over and now playing out over the NMSU bball 2023 tragedy and assault. East (and to extent for political reasons North) Texas vs the entire Rio Grande Valley which included El Paso. (Rural ultra Conservative) Eastern Washington vs (Seattle/Ultra Liberal Portland) Western Washington and the infamous NorCal vs SoCal hatred to the point that there was a recent voter pursuant secessionists vote.
My dad lives in Taos. I came to this realization when he moved there 25 years ago. The distinction always made is that Northern New Mexicans are Sthpaniards, while Southern New Mexicans are Mexicans. Even not living there myself, I've heard it over and over.

I really hope he does a great job…. I have said many times I follow three teams in college for various reasons but one of them is baylor basketball… and being at the game last night watching them host byu made me sick …. It seems all of our old wac conference mates are doing better than us….. and yes the byu fans have not changed …

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Take a look at Deion’s staff at Colorado. He has a bunch of positions in place to work around the actual coach limit. Seems like Walden is doing the same, which seems like a smart cheat to the system in place.

Last edited:
Take a look at Deion’s staff at Colorado he has a bunch of positions in place to work around the actual coach limit. Seems like Walden is doing the same, which seems like a smart cheat to the system in place.

Having more coaches doesn't always equal better results. Colorado didn't even make a bowl game.

In his first season after cleaning house following a 1-11 campaign. Give the man a little time...

We'll see. Having more coaches doesn't always equal success on the field.

It's like in a workplace. Having 5 managers isn't always better than having 1 manager.

Reactions: FedupMiner
We'll see. Having more coaches doesn't always equal success on the field.

It's like in a workplace. Having 5 managers isn't always better than having 1 manager.

Teams are limited on the amount of Coaches they can have. I think it’s 11. I didn’t know this until Dimel was suspended for like a week. UTEP football had too many coaches giving instructions. Our Softball coach was also given violations.

All these extra positions aren’t coaches. Just support.

Teams are limited on the amount of Coaches they can have. I think it’s 11. I didn’t know this until Dimel was suspended for like a week. UTEP football had too many coaches giving instructions. Our Softball coach was also given violations.

All these extra positions aren’t coaches. Just support.

Whatever it is. Too many people in an organization doesn't always equal more success.

Until Walden shows me something different, get as many coaches as you want. Just keep getting these transfers from FSU, Cincinnati, Tulsa, and a previous Auburn commit…and I’m good. Imagine that…a coach that is actually working the transfer portal! It’s a small miracle

Really?? Eh? A three star from back to back state championship team doesn’t do it for you?

Did he have any offers besides UTEP?

No it doesn't. I don't care about rankings. All I care about is success on the field. Right now it's the honeymoon phase. Walden can say whatever he wants and have people praise him over and over again. Unless he wins a bowl game, then it's all talk.

Remember the Golding introductory press conference? It was kind of similar to Walden's. Let's just hope Walden isn't all talk.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
No. All you care about is getting attention.

Nope, no attention seeker here. I call it as I see it. I was extremely optimistic at the beginning of the basketball season and was let down. Football has been bad for so long and it's hard to get excited. Like I said, all I care about is success on the field. If you have a different opinion, then that's fine. But it's funny that you think I want attention just because you don't agree with me.

Nope, no attention seeker here. I call it as I see it. I was extremely optimistic at the beginning of the basketball season and was let down. Football has been bad for so long and it's hard to get excited. Like I said, all I care about is success on the field. If you have a different opinion, then that's fine. But it's funny that you think I want attention just because you don't agree with me.
I am a bigger fan of UTEP football and I get being unsure about this season. Once fall hits I’m sure, like every year guys will call for 8+ wins and a bowl win but I think that’s unreasonable for year 1. But with that being said I think we can agree that on paper, Walden has taken positive steps to bring this program into the 21s century. Now whether that translates to wins is another thing.

I am a bigger fan of UTEP football and I get being unsure about this season. Once fall hits I’m sure, like every year guys will call for 8+ wins and a bowl win but I think that’s unreasonable for year 1. But with that being said I think we can agree that on paper, Walden has taken positive steps to bring this program into the 21s century. Now whether that translates to wins is another thing.
There is the same number of "staff" at every FBS school. because they tweet about them all (because they are all new) makes it appear as there is more. Every team has Quality Control guys and the ancillary staff guys -- this isnt unique in any way.

Did he have any offers besides UTEP?

No it doesn't. I don't care about rankings. All I care about is success on the field. Right now it's the honeymoon phase. Walden can say whatever he wants and have people praise him over and over again. Unless he wins a bowl game, then it's all talk.

Remember the Golding introductory press conference? It was kind of similar to Walden's. Let's just hope Walden isn't all talk.
Debbie, relax and don't be such a downer... lol jk... Do we really think, recruits are going to line up to play at UTEP? No! Not yet, at least... Scotty is doing his thang, let him work, sure judge all you want... Hopefully, you'll eat some crow.

Right now, the most positive aspect of this is that Coach Walden is being very active in getting his and UTEP's name out there to recruits, high school coaches, the public, etcetera. If he's hiring a lot of staff that's fine as long as he's the one leading the parade. If this translates into wins on the field, great. We'll see if it happens. I'll be interested in how spring practice pans out. What will we see on the field in practice and in scrimmages? That could show us the direction we are headed in. Go Miners.

Right now, the most positive aspect of this is that Coach Walden is being very active in getting his and UTEP's name out there to recruits, high school coaches, the public, etcetera. If he's hiring a lot of staff that's fine as long as he's the one leading the parade. If this translates into wins on the field, great. We'll see if it happens. I'll be interested in how spring practice pans out. What will we see on the field in practice and in scrimmages? That could show us the direction we are headed in. Go Miners.
I'm curious if Walden will maintain JUCO contact with Hutch and So Cal JUCO's that Kugler and Dimel had?

I don’t think it’s unreasonable. Or at least not that far fetched. We saw NMSU go from 7 wins the last four years prior to kill to 7 wins in his first year. Is it that unreasonable for us a team that has been hovering around .500 the last four years to do something similar?

Simple Question/Response to whats been talked about above... I know "I'm the new guy" and I've not witnessed all the dissapointment. Great points have been made about commits etc. -- YES - WE HAVE NOT PLAYED A DOWN OF FOOTBALL YET BUT.... Does it seem different in 3/4 weeks than it has in the past or more of the same? if DIFFERENT is the answer than that sounds positive to me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT