ADVERTISEMENT

Serious Question

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
Besides Barbee. How many times has Utep hired a minority Head Coach in a any of their sports?

I can't think of any. It seems weird to me that in a city where minorities are the majority, our University seems to hire only white men for their highest profile jobs.

Not to say, those guys aren't qualified, but if large schools in the South can hire minorities, why doesn't UTEP?

With that said, I don't think we should hire Hispanic coaches, just to do it.

I didnt wanna say anything like that im glad you said it. But that is what i was thinking. Utep seems to just hire white guys for the high profile jobs. What about inside the school like professors and other high profile jobs in the school?

Does Mika Laaksonen count? He's a native of Finland, so I'm not sure. Ivan Fernandez is women's tennis coach. He's a native of Puerto Rico. Roberto Aspillaga is men's tennis coach. He's originally from Santiago, Chile. Before him the coach was Cristina Moros. She's now at USF and is from Austin. I'm not sure her ethnicity, but it doesn't sound "anglo". Wayne Thornton coached UTEP women's basketball for one season in the late 70s.

Reactions: axingfools1
No one cares about those sports. We're talking about the positions that matter.

Wayne Thornton indeed.

Besides Barbee. How many times has Utep hired a minority Head Coach in a any of their sports?

Wayne Thornton indeed.

Wayne Thornton indeed.

The question was asked how many times UTEP has hired a minority head coach in ANY of their sports. These are the ones I remember from the top of my head. Track/cross country are the most successful UTEP sports in school history, in my opinion. Women's basketball has gotten quite a bit of attention in the last decade.

Do the T&F and CC teams make money for the school or do they suck off of football?

Can you point me to a message board where UTEP track and cross country are discussed on a regular basis?

Do the T&F and CC teams make money for the school or do they suck off of football?

Can you point me to a message board where UTEP track and cross country are discussed on a regular basis?

You asked why UTEP hasn't hired minority head coaches and mentioned "South" schools. So it appears that UTEP has hired minority coaches. Are you now just looking to be negative for the sake of just arguing? Tony Barbee was head basketball coach... does he not count because he was mentioned in the original post?

Yeah, they've hired a small % of minorities for the sports no one cares about. Thanks for pointing that out.

How am I being negative by typing the truth?

I didnt wanna say anything like that im glad you said it. But that is what i was thinking. Utep seems to just hire white guys for the high profile jobs. What about inside the school like professors and other high profile jobs in the school?

UTEP today is a microcosm of international academia. People from all over. Geology is just as well known as engineering because of the mountains and cornucopia of rock found all over west Texas.

Yeah, they've hired a small % of minorities for the sports no one cares about. Thanks for pointing that out.

How am I being negative by typing the truth?

You just want to argue. That much is obvious.

From what you're saying hiring minorities only counts for football and men's basketball. .. this greatly reduces the percentage since those are only 2 sports out of 15 at the university. Of those two, one had the same coach for over 30 years. That same program HAS had a minority coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT