ADVERTISEMENT

Sickening.

So this game was so bad that I turned it off and watched the NCAA Women’s Volleyball championship game. No disrespect to volleyball, but that’s how bad this game was. I saw the halftime score and thought I would give Utep a second chance. Ugh.

BTW… if you thought Wichita State gave Utep a beat down, that was nothing like what Texas did to Nebraska today. Total domination.

But the opposite of total domination would be this UTEP game. I am completely baffled by Golding’s lineups this season and can’t figure them out at all. Can anybody else help me with this one?

So this game was so bad that I turned it off and watched the NCAA Women’s Volleyball championship game. No disrespect to volleyball, but that’s how bad this game was. I saw the halftime score and thought I would give Utep a second chance. Ugh.

BTW… if you thought Wichita State gave Utep a beat down, that was nothing like what Texas did to Nebraska today. Total domination.

But the opposite of total domination would be this UTEP game. I am completely baffled by Golding’s lineups this season and can’t figure them out at all. Can anybody else help me with this one?
Now he’s just throwing anyone out there hoping they’ll hit a shot.

Reactions: PickMyAxe915
Now he’s just throwing anyone out there hoping they’ll hit a shot.
With the exception of one guy who can actually hit a fvckn shot. WTF did Jones only get two minutes? Golding is like Floyd in that there always seems to be a guy who takes the brunt of everything and is perpetually in the dawg house.

I was all in on Golding. Now I’m all out on him. He’s gotta go…before his 80 year contract is up.

Just FYI, Golding's contract for year 4 and 5, only require a 50% buyout... Doubt it would even happen (likely fire assistant's, first) it would be $700k total.
I'd wager a losing season this year and next would get him let go

This is the risk when hiring a one hit wonder from the lower leagues. That’s why I’m cautiously optimistic with Walden. They seem to both be cut from the same cloth.
Waldens consistently won, not just one year. He has a proven formula at each level he's been too. That's why I have faith in him. What I don't have faith in is UTEP giving him all he needs to compete at a high level.

Waldens consistently won, not just one year. He has a proven formula at each level he's been too. That's why I have faith in him. What I don't have faith in is UTEP giving him all he needs to compete at a high level.
The dude was one game over .500 prior to this year as HC of a d1 program. This one “good” season is all it took to impress Senter and UTEP fans. It’s not even that good considering he was one and done in the playoffs. Honestly doesn’t it seem like a one hit wonder hire again?

Reactions: FedupMiner
Scotty Walden's Career Head Coaching Record

SEASONSCHOOLOVERALL W-LCONF. W-L
2016East Texas Baptist7-33-3 (4th)
2020Southern Miss1-31-1
2020-21Austin Peay4-24-2 (3rd)
2021Austin Peay6-54-2 (t-2nd)
2022Austin Peay7-43-2 (t-1st)
2023Austin Peay9-36-0 (1st)
TOTALS34-2021-10

Reactions: nattybry
Scotty Walden's Career Head Coaching Record

SEASONSCHOOLOVERALL W-LCONF. W-L
2016East Texas Baptist7-33-3 (4th)
2020Southern Miss1-31-1
2020-21Austin Peay4-24-2 (3rd)
2021Austin Peay6-54-2 (t-2nd)
2022Austin Peay7-43-2 (t-1st)
2023Austin Peay9-36-0 (1st)
TOTALS34-2021-10
East Baptist is d3. First year at Austin Peay was actually 4-5.

Who would you have gone with then? Marion did not have HC experience, Price? Or the Texas Tech guys? No thanks (other than Marion)
I’ve said my preference many times and what I think it takes to be a successful coach at UTEP. I would have liked a Matt Wells type of hire. If UNM could get the likes of Patterson and Mendenhall interested in their opening why couldn’t we?

East Baptist is d3. First year at Austin Peay was actually 4-5.

I’ve said my preference many times and what I think it takes to be a successful coach at UTEP. I would have liked a Matt Wells type of hire. If UNM could get the likes of Patterson and Mendenhall interested in their opening why couldn’t we?
UNM has not been afraid to pony up 1 million or more, plus they get state funds.

This is the risk when hiring a one hit wonder from the lower leagues. That’s why I’m cautiously optimistic with Walden. They seem to both be cut from the same cloth.
Golding has failed at UTEP and needs to be replaced. However, calling him a one hit wonder is not accurate. Sure, he gained fame for his win against Texas in the NCAA Tournament, but before that he built ACU up from going 11-20 in their 1st year of Div 1 Basketball to three straight 20+ win seasons in his last three years, two of those years resulted in NCAA Tournament appearances. Building a team from nothing to conference titles and Tournament births is far from being a "one hit wonder."

I don't know why he has failed so spectacularly here. I used to wonder if it was because he built that team before the transfer portal and the NIL, and was able to find diamonds in the rough and developing them into great players. But after seeing him completely misuse his freshmen this season I have to doubt that this the case. My only guess is that he had much better assistants there than he has here, and they carried him. I can't think of any other reasons he hasn't been able to duplicate his success at ACU here.

Golding has failed at UTEP and needs to be replaced. However, calling him a one hit wonder is not accurate. Sure, he gained fame for his win against Texas in the NCAA Tournament, but before that he built ACU up from going 11-20 in their 1st year of Div 1 Basketball to three straight 20+ win seasons in his last three years, two of those years resulted in NCAA Tournament appearances. Building a team from nothing to conference titles and Tournament births is far from being a "one hit wonder."

I don't know why he has failed so spectacularly here. I used to wonder if it was because he built that team before the transfer portal and the NIL, and was able to find diamonds in the rough and developing them into great players. But after seeing him completely misuse his freshmen this season I have to doubt that this the case. My only guess is that he had much better assistants there than he has here, and they carried him. I can't think of any other reasons he hasn't been able to duplicate his success at ACU here.
ACU was in a weaker conference as well.

I get what you’re saying, and I am a little cautious too. But UTEP doesn’t have the money to bring in a proven winner. So we either bring in a young guy who is full of piss and vinegar who may or may not be in over their head, OR we bring in some weathered viejo who’s trying to cash out one last time.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
The dude was one game over .500 prior to this year as HC of a d1 program. This one “good” season is all it took to impress Senter and UTEP fans. It’s not even that good considering he was one and done in the playoffs. Honestly doesn’t it seem like a one hit wonder hire again?
I think you have valid points but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Even though I wasn't excited about the Dimel hiring I still gave him the benefit of the doubt back then. For me, it's the least we can do as fan until they prove that they aren't worthy.

I think you have valid points but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Even though I wasn't excited about the Dimel hiring I still gave him the benefit of the doubt back then. For me, it's the least we can do as fan until they prove that they aren't worthy.
I give him the benefit of the doubt. I don’t necessarily think he will fail but I also don’t agree with the comments that he will win quick and get poached. It’s not like we have a long history of being a coaching factory. We’re actually the opposite, a coaching grave. The odds are against Scotty but I wish him the best and hope he proves me wrong.

It’d be on brand for UTEP. They finally have a winning season and poof dude is gone. I stated in another thread before Walden got hired, half joking, that zombie Stull would come back and hire zombie CMP. Now obviously it’s a joke, but that is the level of woe a lot of us have after seeing the dumbass shit from UTEP for well over a decade now. I mean we’re the school that has students get caught jacking one on national tv. Drunkard coaches. Gambling scandals. We rename a city in honor of a coach for a day and he promptly comes out and loses first game. The Roll tide! Philandering coaches. We’ve been to that damn NM bowl like 50000 times, still can’t win it. We got bum ass athletes flexing like they the man down 3-4 tds, and then they transfer to a better school. We let a bum hold the team hostage two years in a row, and let him come back only for him to quit after what 4 games. Until these dudes win a lot of us are gonna call bullshit. And face it UTEP is a whole lotta bullshit.

Last edited:
It’d be on brand for UTEP. They finally have a winning season and poof dude is gone. I stated in another thread before Walden got hired, half joking, that zombie Stull would come back and hire zombie CMP. Now obviously it’s a joke, but that is the level of woe a lot of us have after seeing the dumbass shit from UTEP for well over a decade now. I mean we’re the school that has students get caught jacking one on national tv. Drunkard coaches. Gambling scandals. We rename a city in honor of a coach for a day and he promptly comes out and loses first game. The Roll tide! Philandering coaches. We’ve been to that damn NM bowl like 50000 times, still can’t win it. We got bum ass athletes flexing like they the man down 3-4 tds, and then they transfer to a better school. We let a bum hold the team hostage two years in a row, and let him come back only for him to quit after what 4 games. Until these dudes win a lot of us are gonna call bullshit. And face it UTEP is a whole lotta bullshit.
What a dick post.

• Haha
Reactions: MINER.JAY
Upset much? Hope it’s just a bad day.
Course everything you said is true, let’s hope it’s in the past.

Reactions: axingfools1
What a dick post.

Truthful post.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT