ADVERTISEMENT

So Deon Barrett is leaving.

UTEPDefense

MI Hall of Famer
Oct 8, 2002
I guess it appears that all of the new players are going to qualify now that Barrett has announced that he is leaving:

This means that we have now lost every single recruit from last year's recruiting class and it also reminds me of what I posted about Barrett on this board after the UNM game last December:

"I bet that whatever school Barrett transfers to next year will be thrilled with the way that he played tonight."

https://utep.forums.rivals.com/threads/deon-barrett.6683/#post-74042

Not at all surprising. That definitely put things in perspective though. Not one recruit remains from last year's class. Wow. Just wow.

Man, I hope this incoming class fares a bit better. At least it can't get any worse!

Reactions: Lil_Train
Not at all surprising. That definitely put things in perspective though. Not one recruit remains from last year's class. Wow. Just wow.

Man, I hope this incoming class fares a bit better. At least it can't get any worse!
When we started looking at the roster projections months back, this was, unfortunately, the likely outcome. Keep in mind, both Magee and Gilyard were signed early, so Barrett was recruited over not once, but twice even before he had a real chance to show what he could do in a game situation. Point is, those new guys all better come ready to play this summer. Their place on next year's team is on the line. Definitely wish Deon the best.

And today marks the one year anniversary of the press conference where Floyd went just short of postal on Kappy.

I imagine that Trey Touchet has the most to gain from the current roster set-up, at least early on.

By the way, this move should permanently end the speculation(and even false confirmations by some people) that say Touchet is only on an academic scholarship. This Barrett move was to get us to down to our scholarship number, exactly as Floyd mentioned in his last Press Conference.

Right, but they shouldn't really count as "leaving" or "transferring" when in CTF's mind they're being replaced by better players.

Reactions: develman
I guess it appears that all of the new players are going to qualify now that Barrett has announced that he is leaving:

This means that we have now lost every single recruit from last year's recruiting class and it also reminds me of what I posted about Barrett on this board after the UNM game last December:

"I bet that whatever school Barrett transfers to next year will be thrilled with the way that he played tonight."

https://utep.forums.rivals.com/threads/deon-barrett.6683/#post-74042

To lose every recruit from the prior year's class is unheard of for me.

It's predictable how Floyd will spin it, however -- those guys sucked, but our new guys are ballers.

200w.gif

Sean Spicer told UTEP to put out this dandy yesterday. I'll let you all observe the (alt) facts.

Yes, I believe it was Perry. He was a big bodied and tall TE under Price. I thought he was a good TE but really wasn't utilized much under Price's spread offense.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm too busy making popcorn for this thread.

Yes, I believe it was Perry. He was a big bodied and tall TE under Price. I thought he was a good TE but really wasn't utilized much under Price's spread offense.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm too busy making popcorn for this thread.

He wouldn't be the only football player Floyd has had to borrow out of desperation here.

BTW, UTEP snagged a transfer from Chico State. Big frame, quick feet, looks like good upper body to take it to the big men.

The kid?! He's heading to Kansas. Class of 2023.

Not one recruit remains from last year's class. Wow. Just wow.

I wonder if one of the main reasons why we have one of the largest recruiting budgets in the conference, has anything to do with the fact that we replace our recruiting classes every year?

I wonder if one of the main reasons why we have one of the largest recruiting budgets in the conference, has anything to do with the fact that we replace our recruiting classes every year?

That's a good question. So our budget would one of the largest in our conference, not by design but out of necessity.

I can see it going down something like this...

CTF: Uhhh, Bob? I'm gonna need to dip into the incidentals and petty cash funds. I blew my wad again. I mean hell, I just lost 7 more guys, because get this, they wanted court time of all things. Also the nearest recruiting grounds are AT LEAST 12 hours away so I need all the coin you can gimme.

BS: C'mon Tim! Again? Well, just keep in mind that we can only use that lengthy travel excuse and the transfer epidemic excuse, oh about 3 or 4 more times each before our fans, ya know, the ones who don't get it, wisen up a bit. Don't worry though, you just had another outstanding 15+ win season in this gauntlet of a conference so it isn't like your job is in jeopardy.

CTF: Bob, I love ya man. You always got my back. We hangin' again tonight?

BS: Yeah man. Red Parrot or Foxy? You want me ta call Mike, or you?

Since we're stuck with Floyd, I hope he starts channeling his inner Pop.

Hey now, it works both ways. Remember Cedrick Lang? And heck, he ended up signing a futures contract with the Denver Broncos?

A good athlete is a good athlete and many make the jump between sports successfully.
It sounds like Floyd at UTEP sends more athletes to the NFL than he does to the NBA.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT