ADVERTISEMENT

Somebody splain the proposed downtown arena to me.

My wife and I went to see James Taylor at the Don this past June. No seats were sold above the concourse and the seats on the side sections were tarped, even my wife remember this.

My wife and I went to see James Taylor at the Don this past June. No seats were sold above the concourse and the seats on the side sections were tarped, even my wife remember this.

Well I guess I'm wrong then. I went to TSO and none of the seats were tarped off. I guess it depends on the event.

Reactions: alvinosports
Didn't you learn your lesson when you were posting as UTEP05? You are not very good at guessing.

At TSO and other events the seats were not tarped off. I have no clue why some events they tarp off seats and some they don't, so my GUESS is that it depends on the event. I wish I had all the answers like you do.

Reactions: alvinosports
The NCAA minimum requirement for hosting regional and sub regional games is 10,000 seats.
This part is true, but there are other factors (from the NCAA):
For Division I men’s basketball, the minimum seating capacity to host tournament games (excluding the Final Four) is 10,000 saleable seats.

The NCAA will bring in a court, which measures 60-feet wide by 116-feet long. We would prefer not to have to cut the court in any way, as he points out we did the last time men’s basketball was in Albuquerque in 2012. Since we store and reuse these courts from year to year, it is best if we don’t have to cut any of the wooden panels.

As for other arena requirements, I have attached a space assignment document that is part of our bid specifications, which might assist in identifying other requirements at the competition venue. A centerhung scoreboard is a plus, but it is not mandatory.

In addition, yes, we do require at least six, and preferably more, full-service hotels to host first-/second-round sessions of the tournament. Each of the eight participating teams require 75 hotel rooms on peak nights, and three meeting rooms (minimum 1,200 square feet each). If there were a need for two teams to be placed in one hotel, those requirements are doubled at that hotel.

The media will also need a full-service hotel as will the game officials. The teams, game officials and the media all stay at different hotels. Ideally, that’s 10 hotels – one for each of the eight teams, one for the media, and one for the game officials. Again, if some of the full-service hotels are large enough to handle two teams, it is possible to reduce the number of required hotels by placing two teams in one hotel. In addition, it is a plus if these hotels are near the competition venue. As part of the bid process, the NCAA will want to know the distance of each hotel from the venue.

The airport being 40 miles away is not ideal, but not a deal-breaker on its own. When the NCAA evaluates bid entries, it takes everything into consideration (competition venue size and quality, back-of-house space, hosting history, ticket sales history, quality and proximity to the venue of the hotels, and size and location of the airport, just to name a few).
This was part of an e- mail I sent to Mario Moccia, the Athletic Director at New Mexico State of why or why not put in a bid for the Pan American Center. The thing that hurts NMSU is that the city has one full service hotel.
Remember the floor at the Haskins Center is permanent hardwood and cannot be taken out.

Since El Paso successfully hosted both the CUSA Tournament and US Bowling Congress Open event, they had been approached by the NCAA to bid on a first and second round regional tournament. I know that for a fact since one of my sources was the individual approached by the NCAA. From the story I was told, UTEP did not want to join the bid on the NCAAs (which they would need to since it has to come from a member institution). With UTEP out, the opportunity for El Paso to host an NCAA regional never came to fruition. I would bet that the NCAA was upset at our city's inability to try and offer up a competitive bid. It's another example of a missed opportunity.
kappy600, Apr 14, 2016
http://www.robbinsfloor.com/2014/04/utep-don-haskins-center-stout-hardwood/
http://www.robbinsfloor.com/products/portable-floors-2/

The proposed arena will be a multipurpose sports and arts entertainment venue. The new arena will be a state of the art arena with luxury/box suites, large concert/convention area, and high end acoustics. One of the problems with the DHC is many of today's top performers have huge stages that don't fit in the DHC. Major acts like Beyonce and Justin Timberlake (just to name a few) have huge stages that the new arena will be able to accommodate. That is one of the reasons these acts bypass El Paso and Las Cruces. I'm NOT saying that this is the only reason they bypass our region, but this is a known fact. There are certain acts that will play in outdoor stadiums like the Sun Bowl, but there are others that will only perform in indoor arenas. As mentioned above, the seating will be adjustable according to the event, i.e. basketball, boxing, ice hockey, and arena football. The main reason the city wants to build the arena near the convention center is because there are incentives offered by the state of Texas if they build it within 1,000 feet from the convention center. This could be an additional $20 million for the arena project. The state incentives are needed to build a larger arena in the neighborhood of 13,000+ seats. Without the state incentives we are looking at a 9,000 seat arena.

I would like to see this project get started immediately! The longer the city waits the smaller the arena gets. I think the city should move forward with the acquisition of land around the Duranguito area (south of the convention center). I know some people will be be upset, but it's time for El Paso city leaders to move forward with this project. El Pasoans voted for the arena and they need to deliver.

At best, if it was used to host the NCAA tournament, that would be 2 days every 5 years or so. This should not even be a consideration in determining the size of a new facility. It would just be a nice additional possibility.

Here's an 11 year history of the West opening round sites. Most of the cities we are not going to outbid even with a new arena. We could compete with Spokane, Boise, Tucson and Albuquerque but that's about it. In any event, we aren't going to get multiple events more than every 5 years.

Anaheim
Denver

Portland
Boise

Spokane
San Jose

Denver
Tucson

Albuquerque
Portland

San Jose
Salt Lake

Spokane
San Diego

Seattle
Portland

Denver
Spokane

Salt Lake
Sacramento

San Diego
Boise

Last edited:
it's plain and simple. This thing is going to get built. Just a matter of where in downtown. Capacity will be 15,000. City Council does not want anything smaller than that but that would be the case if they decided on the convention center site. The longer we wait the higher this thing is going to cost.

"Wanting 15k seats" does not set it in stone. No way one can say it will be 15k yet.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT