ADVERTISEMENT

Speechless

Minerforlife

MI Hall of Famer
Sep 11, 2013
That was a terrible showing. That was a team that wasnt at all prepared. The offensive game plan was terrible. The biggest issues are offensive line play and quarterback. The o-line was horrid to put it kindly. We dont have a qb yet. Metz reverted to 2015and shrank when the lights came on. Locksley can make plays with his feet, but he isn't accurate and he certainly cant stretch a defense vertically. If Locksley is the guy then run the option. Otherwise next week let Jones and and Fernandes play see if either can make plays through the air. That crap today was terrible. Canales's playcalling made Patrick Higgins play calling look great.

The four delay of game penalties out of timeouts are completely inexcusable.The bottom line is that for probably the only time all season we had more talent than the opposition and we lost by twenty at home. At this point I dont know what to say. We' ve have'nt hit bottom yeymt and today was a new low losing to a fcs school for the first time in 15 years.

Grades:
Coaching: F
Offense:F
Defense: C
Special teamsD

Last edited:
i can watch utep hopefully grow a bit this year... and oregon looks to have gotten its speed back that had been lacking.... but wont play anyone until stanford....

There's no separation from the receivers though to get yards through the air.

There were plenty of times guys were open they just couldn't hit em. Its football most of the time guys arent going to running free you have to throw them open what I saw tonight is as of yet we dont have a qb capable of throwing guys open. At the end of the 2nd att Dawn is wide open for a qb and Locksley bounced it to him that's just one of many examples.

I can see why Dimel kept 6 QBs on the roster; with that offensive line play, we are going to need everyone one of them just to make it to the middle of the season. Beyond bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: El Paso Is Great
I dont think we could blame the coaches yet. This is Kuglers and Bobs Stulls mess.

That was a terrible showing. That was a team that wasnt at all prepared. The offensive game plan was terrible. The biggest issues are offensive line play and quarterback. The o-line was horrid to put it kindly. We dont have a qb yet. Metz reverted to 2015and shrank when the lights came on. Locksley can make plays with his feet, but he isn't accurate and he certainly cant stretch a defense vertically. If Locksley is the guy then run the option. Otherwise next week let Jones and and Fernandes play see if either can make plays through the air. That crap today was terrible. Canales's playcalling made Patrick Higgins play calling look great.

The four delay of game penalties out of timeouts are completely inexcusable.The bottom line is that for probably the only time all season we had more talent than the opposition and we lost by twenty at home. At this point I dont know what to say. We' ve have'nt hit bottom yeymt and today was a new low losing to a fcs school for the first time in 15 years.

Grades:
Special teamsD

Agree with all your grades except I have to give the defense a D. The d line looked like they were going through friggin Alamogordo to get to Las Cruces. LBs were playing grab ass instead laying the wood. Secondary gave far too much cushion to NAU’s receivers. Shit, they may deserve a damn F too.

I think today was bad.... was this game as bad as any game last year? Probably not. There is no way in Hell I would ever take Patrick Higgins again. That offense was the worst. I agree that Locksley has some accuracy issuses. There were a couple of passes that were either too short or too high. But I did like his ability to keep plays alive and he was always running for positive yardage. But you have to admit the receivers are trash. No one on this roster has that deep threat speed. And we’re lining Reddix and Kavika on the outside like they’re no. 1 receivers and in my honest opinion they should be at the bottom of the depth chart.... at best.

Reactions: develman

Grades:
Special teamsD

There were several deep passes from Locksley on the money that were dropped.

1.) Fernandes was not even suited for this game. He was on the sidelines in his jersey but no pads.

2.) Kavika Johnson can have a role in the offense, but his role truly need to be reversed from what it is currently. Right now he plays about 75% of the passing reps, when that number needs to be opposite, as he should only be brought in for about 25% of the passing plays. He just does not have the speed needed for the role that they are trying to force him into.

3.) UTEP began a bad trend tonight of tipping some of their plays through #19 Hughes. Hughes apparently is our best blocking back, but the problem is that he doesn’t get many carries to keep the defense honest. So when he is brought in, it becomes somewhat obvious what our play is going to be as he is being brought in for extra pass protection.

4.) There were way too many penalties, especially the unforced variety. I honestly expected a better discipline from Dimel being in charge.

5.) Kai needs to be the guy moving forward. Yes, he had some accuracy issues but this was also just his very first D1 game. We are in the middle of a complete rebuild, so even from just the most basic of analysis, it makes more sense that we should invest playing time in the guy who has 23 games left with us compared to the guy who only has 11 games left.

6.) We desperately need WR talent through recruiting. Lyles would be a major help. Is Hampton still possibly in the picture as well?

Last edited:
Honestly. When you look at the three, or even top 4 wideouts on this team. Reddix, Juniel, Kavika and maybe Kenyan Foster (I noticed him on the field a lot) Where would you rate any of those guys on those Mike Price teams? I’m not faulting their effort, I know they are trying hard, but I would take at least 7 or 8 Mike Price guys before I even think about taking any of them. At best I would say that these guys would be a Chris Marrow type guy, and he just got 345 yard his senior year. Even if they did a good job disguising their play calling I don’t think anyone in this group has the ability to get separation and challenge the defense vertically. How many times were DBs running stride for stride with these guys?

Honestly. When you look at the three, or even top 4 wideouts on this team. Reddix, Juniel, Kavika and maybe Kenyan Foster (I noticed him on the field a lot) Where would you rate any of those guys on those Mike Price teams? I’m not faulting their effort, I know they are trying hard, but I would take at least 7 or 8 Mike Price guys before I even think about taking any of them.

They compare favorably with a guy like Chris Marrow. What we need to remember is that this offense and the one before it are not the same as Price's was. This offense like Kugler's is run based. We have adequate skill at receiver for this offense. Maybe Dimel should hire gary Nord as recruiting coordinator so he can bring in another Lee May's or Johnnie lee Higgins. Since Nord brought in those guys we haven't had any receivers close to their caliber. Price's best reciever recruit was Jordan Leslie.

Crap this team does not deserve to have any fans at the next game I wont be going to any games everybody can say im a bandwagon but I went to many games as a student in 2013-14 then afterwards in 2015 till now. last year was shit and this year seems to be shit. Then utep wonders why they don't have many young fans.

Crap this team does not deserve to have any fans at the next game I wont be going to any games everybody can say im a bandwagon but I went to many games as a student in 2013-14 then afterwards in 2015 till now. last year was shit and this year seems to be shit. Then utep wonders why they don't have many young fans.
Page 1 on how to kill a program-cut off the fan base

Grades:
Special teamsD
I don’t believe we had more talent on the field. Their Qb was better their receivers were better( especially Butler), and they were a lot quicker.
We have a long way to go to be a winning team.
I know our o line is young but they are going to have to play above their experience. Our receivers just do not have any speed. They are going to have to run better routes to make up for their lack of speed.

Just 2013? I have been going to the games since I was a student in 2000. And I went to games as a kid in the 80’s when beatings like this were a common occurrence. I know for a fact we have guys on the board who distinctly remember the 50 plus years we’ve gone without a bowl win. So if you wan’t to start whining about watching crappy football the line forms in the back.....

Just 2013? I have been going to the games since I was a student in 2000. And I went to games as a kid in the 80’s when beatings like this were a common occurrence. I know for a fact we have guys on the board who distinctly remember the 50 plus years we’ve gone without a bowl win. So if you wan’t to start whining about watching crappy football the line forms in the back.....
yeah just since 2013 didnt go to much as a kid i mean i was not too much into sports then until high school, just saying people complain about not enough students going and just saying having 0-12, 2-10 seasons is not going to help. Trust me not too many people my age who care or go to often to utep games. And i guess I will take my spot at the back lol, dosent mean we should not expect more.

I agree 100%. UTEP’s failures on the field do nothing to help it connect with the youth. As a kid everyone loved every school but UTEP. We should expect more, but this is a process. Welcome to the club, we few loyal Miner fans. It sucks when they lose (and it’s often) but when they win there’s nothing better and at least you can say you were loyal the whole time. Not like everyone else who will show up with their new orange UTEP gear. I remember sitting above the band on the East side of the stadium when we were winning 2 games a year under Nord and you could hear the coaches on the opposing sideline screaming instructions to the players on the field.

WRs were open. Kai cannot see them because his first instinct is to run. If we are banking on his running ability to carry this team then he needs to get more than 2.8 yards per carry. Since this was an FBS team, I do not foresee him getting more than 2.8 upgrades. Need a more confident QB under center. Need Wadley to get the ball more via a straight handoff. Zone read is not going to work as effectively. Kai wants to keep it and limits ability of running backs to get into space. Get Wadley ball more and a more confident QB under center.

we went 0-12 last year and considered the worst team in college football for a reason---- someone said we shouldnt put this on the coaches yet..... are you kidding??? the coach was given 8th graders trying to compete with varsity teams,,, its going to take at least three years to be able to put anything on the coach..

Reactions: MINER.JAY
WRs were open. Kai cannot see them because his first instinct is to run. If we are banking on his running ability to carry this team then he needs to get more than 2.8 yards per carry. Since this was an FBS team, I do not foresee him getting more than 2.8 upgrades. Need a more confident QB under center. Need Wadley to get the ball more via a straight handoff. Zone read is not going to work as effectively. Kai wants to keep it and limits ability of running backs to get into space. Get Wadley ball more and a more confident QB under center.

And who exactly is this confident QB?

Why is Locksley taking the blame for what is obviously the O lines fault? During a blitz you audible, which did not appear wasn't done at all. Now that was on qb's, along with missed throws. Hats off to NAU, they brought the wood Saturday night.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT