ADVERTISEMENT

Spring football practice thoughts

Dec 22, 2016
got a chance to watch the entire spring practice on Saturday and wanted to share some thoughts after a few beers...

Really like Dimel’s practice regimens, wasn’t a fan of the no tackling thing, but when I saw guys going full speed and still making plays it makes sense. Seems like they are able to cover a lot of techinque and drills with the way he runs practice.

Teich and Dimel basically shot the shit about UTEP football over the PA for the entire workout and that was pretty cool. Teich is a pro, he basically held an impromptu radio show from the sidelines over the PA system for two freaking hours. That was well done.

Mike Cox is the biggest asset our program has right now. The guy is a hell of a defensive mind. Some of the blitzes he was dialing up during the two minute drill was just brilliant. He told me off script he likes our rush ends and is excited for new JUCO DB’s because they give us legit depth unlike last year.

Everyone of the new JUCO DBs each made a play in either 7-on-7 or team so Cox was not bluffing, they picked up some nice talent. We don’t have eye popping size or length in the secondary but these JUCO guys are fast and always seems to find the ball.

Offensive line looked good at times, but still struggled with blitz pick up. I think We’re gonna be all right here once fully healthy, but blitz pick up is still an issue without Darren Gatewood.

Tre Wolf had a good day, Alan Busey made some nice catches in a red zone drill, and Eddie Sinegal had a good day too, but more on the WRs later...

Walter Dawn and Richie Rodriguez will return kicks, Rodriguez belongs at this level could be a sneaky strength in the return game.

Stephen Forester had a good day, but LB depth really concerns me. That JUCO LB Smith will give us some athleticism he was working with Dawn And didn’t practice but looks like a good athlete. Cox can make these guys look good when blitzing, but on a island our LB’s aren’t sure on their feet yet outside of Forester.

We could have a decent pass rush with Denzel, Chris Richardson, Josh Ortega, and Buckingham, but other than that we are really small along the DL.

We don’t have a clear number one or number two WR and that’s not a good thing. A lot of WR’s had trouble getting open in drills, good defense was a reason, but outside of the WRs I mentioned they are hella thin at WR. We don’t have a physical specimen either, big area of concern.

Kai was up and down, threw a few head scratching picks, and really didn’t do anything special but he looked healthy and gives us a chance with Wadley.

I’m sold that TJ Goodwin is our future at QB and that’s a very good thing. He looks real.

Laufenburg is not with the team, and it doesn’t sound good. That’s all I’m a say about that. :(

I hope we can keep Wadley healthy during the fall, we’re really gonna need him.

From what I saw this team wins two games, we desperately need a few offensive playmakers to emerge, but we’re in April so let’s how the summer goes. Go Chihuahuas!

Great analysis. It scares me that you only see two wins considering our weak schedule.

I'm hoping for four wins. Two wins i think means we're spinning our wheels unfortunately.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I did not go to the spring game/practice but I would not be surpised if The Miners are in a knock down drag out fight with Houston Baptist to open up the year. First off this team didn’t have much talent to begin with and they’re trying to integrate a lot of JUCOs on defense which means it will be a learning experience. Plus as much as I like Locksley I don’t know if he’s improved as a passer and I will not be sold on anyone at WR until I see it on the field, I don’t care what anyone says. So I would not be surpised if we see UTEP rotate between handing the ball to Wadley and QB read options just like last year.

I hope you're wrong bigwood. My liver cant handle a two win season.
....Kai was up and down, threw a few head scratching picks, and really didn’t do anything special...

bluto-chug-o.0.gif

Me too...Just didn't see much size, speed, or tremendous athletes, basically saw the same team we've been seeing over the past few years which has gone 1-23.
Bigwood. In you opinion, are there ANY players not here yet that might make a bigger impact. Hankins, Tupua, Broussard, Rudolph, J.J.Smith...

If we are gonna run between Wadley and Locksley all year again, we might as well get Goodwin out there since our O-line should be better.

IMO If Sinegal can ever get himself together, he can make game changing plays. Our running attack will need to be healthy and on-point though.

Is Van Hook back in there at OLB?

What happened to Tialavea and Misa on the DL? They can give us interior size.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Sooooo basically we suck again!!! Hopefully basketball won’t end up being a major disappointment

Bigwood. In you opinion, are there ANY players not here yet that might make a bigger impact. Hankins, Tupua, Broussard, Rudolph, J.J.Smith...

If we are gonna run between Wadley and Locksley all year again, we might as well get Goodwin out there since our O-line should be better.

IMO If Sinegal can ever get himself together, he can make game changing plays. Our running attack will need to be healthy and on-point though.

Is Van Hook back in there at OLB?

What happened to Tialavea and Misa on the DL? They can give us interior size.
J.J Smith the JUCO LB can make a big impact, were gonna need an athletic LB and he looks the part, he could emerge as a good talent in the fall. There was some side/fun talk that Hankins' best position at UTEP might not be running back, but it was just chatter I overheard nothing official in terms of a legit position change.

I did not remember seeing or looking for VanHook but Parsee was there, not practicing but was very tapped into what the defense was doing.

I agree on Eddie we need him to have his head straight this year.

Tialavea was working with the first and second teams if my memory serves correct, he kinda looked lost during a team drill, but the interior line was getting pushed around all day by our OL, we have a good edge rush, but excuse this basic take, but in fan terms, I saw a lot of stalky fat guys on the interior DL, I could have fit right in ;)

I will defer to Bigwood on this one. He seems to have more Inf than most. However he could be wrong and they could surprise. So I trust his eyes, but I hope his prediction is wrong and we get 6 or so wins. My conventional wisdom however will predict and improved team, but only 3 or 4 wins.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
I can see broussard making an impact. Hes an athlete, wonder if they will redshirt him or not. He can play both wr or db

All I know is that if we don't win this year, then it will become much more harder for us to win next year(2020), because next year our non-conference schedule will be at Texas, Texas Tech, at Nevada, and NMSU.

We averaged 18 PPG last year on O.
Question: Same team, 1 more year of experience, Additions of Walter Dawn-Kavika Johnson.
How many ppg do we average in 2019 all other things being equal?

We averaged 18 PPG last year on O.
Question: Same team, 1 more year of experience, Additions of Walter Dawn-Kavika Johnson.
How many ppg do we average in 2019 all other things being equal?
Great question.

I think the two most important stat categories for this offense will be third down conversion percentage, and points per game.

Forget passing yards, yard per carry and all that, if this team can find a way to sustain drives, and put up points, we will all be surprised about wins and losses, coaching staff has a long summer to figure out how to produce in those two areas and we just might be watching a competitive team this fall if they can figure it out.

Reactions: minerfan_14
I believe that Misa is gone. His name was removed from the roster about a week after Spring Ball started.
Any word on the possible D1 transfers, UTEPD? Based on the observations, it sounds like we could really use an influx of difference makers.

I don't have any info and have just been trying to piece it together. Last week, Dimel said that we are targeting/recruiting 1 offensive grad transfer and 1 defensive grad transfer. He mentioned that 1 of these guys was from USC and good friends with AJ Hotchkins. He felt confident that we would get him. USC has 3 WR grad transfers listed, so after it not being Betiku, I am wondering if possibly one of these WR's will become our offensive grad transfer?

Great question.

I think the two most important stat categories for this offense will be third down conversion percentage, and points per game.

Forget passing yards, yard per carry and all that, if this team can find a way to sustain drives, and put up points, we will all be surprised about wins and losses, coaching staff has a long summer to figure out how to produce in those two areas and we just might be watching a competitive team this fall if they can figure it out.

Does Kai or anyone else for that matter look like they’ve improved as a passer? Any time those guys dropped back to pass it was a horror show, and if they can’t complete passes on 3rd down we’re back at square one.

Dimel talks about the potential Grad Transfers and he specifically mentions the USC guy at the 46:48 minute mark of this podcast:

https://krod.com/sportstalk-with-steve-kaplowitz-april-10th/

After going back and re-listening to this, Dimel does say that the USC guy is a defensive player.
Thanks UTEPD. Obviously, Dimel also sees the need to add players in certain areas. On offense, I am hoping to see a much improved O-line. Last year, they started off beyond awful, admittedly some as a result of injury. That group needs to be better, for starters.

Reactions: UTEPDefense
Does Kai or anyone else for that matter look like they’ve improved as a passer? Any time those guys dropped back to pass it was a horror show, and if they can’t complete passes on 3rd down we’re back at square one.
Kai looked average, Jones looked average, Goodwin looked green but has talent, passing game was really quiet especially during the two minute drill. Not a good look guys.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
ugh on the attendance. Maybe they will figure out you CAN NOT do football stuff during the day on a Saturday

.....But I will bet money on Kai...He will shine

Thanks UTEPD. Obviously, Dimel also sees the need to add players in certain areas. On offense, I am hoping to see a much improved O-line. Last year, they started off beyond awful, admittedly some as a result of injury. That group needs to be better, for starters.

Gatewood and Long returning should reall shore up the line.

Kai looked average, Jones looked average, Goodwin looked green but has talent, passing game was really quiet especially during the two minute drill. Not a good look guys.

And that is vs a bunch of JUCO transfers who have been with the team since January, so that is a problem.

Our gloom and doom scenarios usually don't begin until after the first game. Last season we were all expecting UTEP to handle our fcs opponent easily only to witness an anemic offense and 20 point loss. Some or most of that can be chalked up to multiple injuries on the o-line just prior to the opener.

I expect the Miners o-line will be deeper and more experienced and substantially better. Avoiding massive injuries will be important as always. Some injured linemen return that would have started last season. Some talented young recruits were thrown into the fire right away last year.

I really see no reason that even a marginally improved Miner team can't win at least 3 or 4 or possibly more this season. HBU will have a very good offense so we will see right away how our defense will be. If our offense can't score at least 35 on them then we will be in for a long season.

HBU, UTSA, Charlotte, NMSU, Rice and even UAB should all be games where the Miners have a decent shot so 3 or 4 wins is very possible.

If only 1 or 2 wins then UTEP should follow WKU example and look for a new coach after 2 seasons.

Our gloom and doom scenarios usually don't begin until after the first game. Last season we were all expecting UTEP to handle our fcs opponent easily only to witness an anemic offense and 20 point loss. Some or most of that can be chalked up to multiple injuries on the o-line just prior to the opener.

I expect the Miners o-line will be deeper and more experienced and substantially better. Avoiding massive injuries will be important as always. Some injured linemen return that would have started last season. Some talented young recruits were thrown into the fire right away last year.

I really see no reason that even a marginally improved Miner team can't win at least 3 or 4 or possibly more this season. HBU will have a very good offense so we will see right away how our defense will be. If our offense can't score at least 35 on them then we will be in for a long season.

HBU, UTSA, Charlotte, NMSU, Rice and even UAB should all be games where the Miners have a decent shot so 3 or 4 wins is very possible.

If only 1 or 2 wins then UTEP should follow WKU example and look for a new coach after 2 seasons.
I agree 3-4 games is a sign of improvement going in the right direction. I'd probably even say min 4 with the schedule.

Bigwood, stick to what you saw and reported. We're not holding you responsible, we're holding Senter and Dimel responsible. If the air game looks like it did last year, then it is what it is.

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106

Darn. Dimel's offense sounds just like Kugler's. Poor passing ability at QB, average O-Line, DIII wide receivers resulting in a one dimensional offense that cant pass and is forced to run against 10-11 man defensive fronts. I guess Senter didn't learn his lesson. The only teams that have been successful at UTEP the last 40-50 years were VERY proficient at throwing the ball.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Darn. Dimel's offense sounds just like Kugler's. Poor passing ability at QB, average O-Line, DIII wide receivers resulting in a one dimensional offense that cant pass and is forced to run against 10-11 man defensive fronts. I guess Senter didn't learn his lesson. The only teams that have been successful at UTEP the last 40-50 years were VERY proficient at throwing the ball.
It's an option offense basically though. You can take average passers and make them good option qbs. Similarly with running backs and small quick receivers. Strategery and trickeration usually get better with experience. We'll see.

Last year when we had a decent passing qb in the game we averaged 300 TDs through the air. If we just have a qb who can throw accurate passes we'll be fine. Last year Locksley couldn't consistently hit 5 yard outs. He certainly couldn't stretch the field vertically and teams stacked 8 men in the box and killed us. The team looked totally different with Metz at qb. I've always said the skill posistion players are better than we think. When we have a competent qb they look really good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT