ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Football

kickballpro

MI Miner Maniac
Mar 24, 2006
No one is really talking about it, but the Miners are in their 2nd week of Spring Practices and now have the pads on. Next week they will be on Spring Break and will return to get ready for the Spring Game.

Look for this Years team to have a familiar look in personnel. Jacob Cowing is explosive and is definitely a bright spot right now. Other top receivers will be Justin Garrett and Walter Dawn will be a big part of the returning passing attack. Other WR's include Workman from Chapin who towers over the group and is silky smooth. One player who is shining this spring and standing out in a big way is #47, wr, Adam Cousins. I can see him being a big part of the offense. Bronson Hill was out. Q Drennan adds depth, dont think he starts.

The RB group is talented and deep. Taking most of the snaps is Joshua Fields. Quardraiz Wadley is suited out but was not participating in team. Deion Hankins and Rey Flores rotated in.

At the QB spot. Goodwin is bigger and by far the most athletic. However, doesn't throw the best ball. But during the 2 minute drill, he hit Cowing on a 60 yard TD dime that impressed everyone. Gavin Hardison, throws the best ball in the group and is doing well at taking what the defense gives him.

The Oline is incomplete at the moment. Zuri Henry and Bobby Deharo were out. Freshman Justin Mayers, Sophomore Elijah Kelin were at Guard and Sophmore Andrew Meyer was at Center. Tackles were Sr. Darta Lee and Freshman Jeremiah Byers.

Gavin Baechle was the Punter and you wont miss Crawford at all. He is more than adequate and even boomed one 60 yards with a big time hang.

On Defense, there is a 4 man front. Some of the new guys getting reps with the 1's and 2's are Deylon Williams, Dennis Barnes, Jadarian Taylor, and Gary Thread. Kelton Moss is huge but doesn't move all that well. Plugs gaps. I did not see Amaewhule. He may or may not have been out there.

The 2 inside backers with the first unit were #4 ? And Stephen Forester.

Secondary is the brightest unit on defense headlined by Justin Prince and Broderick Harrell. McKel Broussard ended practice with a pick against Brownholtz(I think).

Overall, the team continues to build. There is alot of experience. It looks like the plan is chugging along. They're being coached hard. There is alot of good. If you're a fan of the clap and check snap count, it's back. If youre looking for an improved product, you'll see it, if youre looking for a superstar, we have one in Jacob Cowing. All in all, we are better.

No one is really talking about it, but the Miners are in their 2nd week of Spring Practices and now have the pads on. Next week they will be on Spring Break and will return to get ready for the Spring Game.

Look for this Years team to have a familiar look in personnel. Jacob Cowing is explosive and is definitely a bright spot right now. Other top receivers will be Justin Garrett and Walter Dawn will be a big part of the returning passing attack. Other WR's include Workman from Chapin who towers over the group and is silky smooth. One player who is shining this spring and standing out in a big way is #47, wr, Adam Cousins. I can see him being a big part of the offense. Bronson Hill was out. Q Drennan adds depth, dont think he starts.

The RB group is talented and deep. Taking most of the snaps is Joshua Fields. Quardraiz Wadley is suited out but was not participating in team. Deion Hankins and Rey Flores rotated in.

At the QB spot. Goodwin is bigger and by far the most athletic. However, doesn't throw the best ball. But during the 2 minute drill, he hit Cowing on a 60 yard TD dime that impressed everyone. Gavin Hardison, throws the best ball in the group and is doing well at taking what the defense gives him.

The Oline is incomplete at the moment. Zuri Henry and Bobby Deharo were out. Freshman Justin Mayers, Sophomore Elijah Kelin were at Guard and Sophmore Andrew Meyer was at Center. Tackles were Sr. Darta Lee and Freshman Jeremiah Byers.

Gavin Baechle was the Punter and you wont miss Crawford at all. He is more than adequate and even boomed one 60 yards with a big time hang.

On Defense, there is a 4 man front. Some of the new guys getting reps with the 1's and 2's are Deylon Williams, Dennis Barnes, Jadarian Taylor, and Gary Thread. Kelton Moss is huge but doesn't move all that well. Plugs gaps. I did not see Amaewhule. He may or may not have been out there.

Secondary is the brightest unit on defense headlined by Justin Prince and Broderick Harrell. McKel Broussard ended practice with a pick against Brownholtz(I think).

Overall, the team continues to build. There is alot of experience. It looks like the plan is chugging along. They're being coached hard. There is alot of good. If you're a fan of the clap and check snap count, it's back. If youre looking for an improved product, you'll see it, if youre looking for a superstar, we have one in Jacob Cowing. All in all, we are better.
Great update, I appreciate your optimism. I once had optimism

THANK YOU FOR THIS! Looking forward to the season.

Hate to do it to ya Kickball, but you wrote this last year

I've been going to these practices for 9-10 years and this is the best team I've seen in the last 5. The exciting thing this year is that you can see the program turning.

https://utep.forums.rivals.com/threads/2019-utep-spring-football.8987/#post-118254

Reactions: Autograph Boy

Not making any predictions this year. Just from what I see, theres marked improvement. And there was last year too but that was compared to the previous season.

The single biggest difference in the offense is the knowledge the players have. I remember after a play, Dawn, Garrett, Cowing, Goodwin, all discussing the concept and the adjustments each made. Ryan Metz was signaling in the plays and it seems that there is more understanding and cohesion. Not making a prediction though.

Interesting that we are currently running with 4 freshman/sophomores starting on the O-line.

Freshman & Soph are currently ranked 1 and 2 on the QB depth chart.

One of our top returning WR's is a Soph.

And our two best recruits from each of the past 2 recruiting classes are going to be a Redshirt Freshman RB and a true Freshman RB.

Dimel will need to show progress on the field or none of this will matter, but from just a structural standpoint, he seems to be slowly building a foundation.

[QUOTE="kickballpro, post: 140248, member: 222"
At the QB spot. Goodwin is bigger and by far the most athletic. However, doesn't throw the best ball. But during the 2 minute drill, he hit Cowing on a 60 yard TD dime that impressed everyone. [/QUOTE]

UTEP has been doing acrobatic offensive plays for the past four to five years on the practice field. Do it against La Tech and Texas Tech then I will believe.

Respect the time you put in for this post, but you can’t say we’re an improved product in the spring or declare stars yet. There is no good with the UTEP football program until they show they can compete with other FBS programs. No one should take any stock in ANY spring/fall practice. This is the worst program in America and improvement should be judged in the fall, not a full week of spring practices. Sorry for being a dick, but let’s keep it real....

Respect the time you put in for this post, but you can’t say we’re an improved product in the spring or declare stars yet. There is no good with the UTEP football program until they show they can compete with other FBS programs. No one should take any stock in ANY spring/fall practice. This is the worst program in America and improvement should be judged in the fall, not a full week of spring practices. Sorry for being a dick, but let’s keep it real....

100%. We won’t really know anything until the NMSU game. NMSU is in the running for worst program in America most years. If we lose to them, Senter will have no choice but to make changes. UTEP cannot lose time NMSU this year and expect fans to stomach more Dismel.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
What happened to the receiver that transferred in from Arizona last year. If he still out with injury?

I doubt Dawn will be used much since he wasn't really used the past 2 years and even tested the portal.

am-depressed-made-on-imgur-blazing-saddles-meme-on-53457953.png

I pray to God you are right. problem is there are so many new players at every position the only spot with legitimate depth/talent is RB. Every other spot (especially LB) is a massive question mark.

Is Spring Ball now cancelled? I know they were planning to take next week off due to Spring Break, but is it now cancelled for when they return?

Never ever will happen. The power programs have clearly drawn a line in the sand and after this pandemic quells down the FBS will look different because the losses will take their toll on mid majors and there is no way in hell any state legislature, blue, purple or deep red, will fork out more money to support athletics due to the circumstances.

However, if the powers at be had any heart, and hopefully attached to their brains, they would find it in their best interest to help the mid-majors because the power conferences will never ever get their pipe dream "super conference" they have been wanting for twenty or so years. No way in hell that would survive the highest court in the land. So if their feet stayed on dry land, they would realize they need mid majors for scheduling mainly and it helps their state and local economies as well.

Sadly, no common ground has been found. UCF proved a couple years ago they deserved a shot at the big time but didn't get a chance, albeit intentionally snubbed or the votes just were not there. So still the only option is to beat them at a lower tier bowl every year (which La Tech does almost annually). I don't see the harm expanding the playoff just a tad but there needs to be teeth in the FBS requirements as well. If a UTEP, NMSU or a San Jose State can't get 15k actual fannies in stadium seats then the clock starts running and notices start getting dolled out. Require that mid majors must beat at least one top ten preseason program to get considered for a playoff spot and finish at least no lower than second in their respective conference and so on. One thing important is the colleges tier status (but not have to be a research university) for conference consideration.

Require that mid majors must beat at least one top ten preseason program to get considered for a playoff spot and finish at least no lower than second in their respective conference and so on.

So a mid major would have to have a crystal ball and predict who will be a preseason Top 10 team? Games are made years in advance. UTEP has a game vs UT scheduled in 2031. You really think Alabama is going to schedule a UCF type opponent anyway?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT