ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Game

UTEPMiners8106

MI Hall of Famer
Jul 15, 2013
Anybody at the Spring game? I am watching the game on the C-USA website (or at least trying). Defense is getting some sacks.

Anybody at the Spring game? I am watching the game on the C-USA website (or at least trying). Defense is getting some sacks.
I'm also watching on CUSA TV and pleasantly surprised with the camera work, good picture quality and listening to Teicher call the game. Defense has the upper hand but 5 QB's played. WR's had few drops and several quality catches. Always hard to tell the quality of a team when they are playing themselves.

How’d he look? I caught the last few minutes online. Fernandez looked good. Still not sure about the QB from El Paso who played in a few games last year.

I watched the game. I was not overly impressed, but I also admit that I have no clue how to interpret what I saw. There were 21 guys not playing, the same O-line played for both sides, the winds had some impact on the passing game, the rosters were divided....so in summary there is just no telling how what we saw tonight will translate into competition against a different team.

With that said, here are some random thoughts based ONLY on what I saw tonight and under tonight’s conditions:

- We threw the ball laterally and behind the line of scrimmage A LOT. We also very rarely threw the ball beyond 15 yards.

- Locksley has a very quick release and a good arm.

- Hughes was our best Running Back.

- The two freshmen corners, Wilson and Bowers, both had good games with multiple pass break ups each. It was as if they have grown used to our offense not throwing deep, as I mentioned in my first point, and they were just ready to jump every 5 to 10 yard pass route.

- Warren Redix and Walter Dawn Jr. were our top WR’s tonight, although Dawn did drop a potential TD pass on one of our few deep pass attempts.

- The Eastwood duo of Torrez and Rodriguez both looked good at times during this contest. Torrez seemed to have a stronger arm tonight than what I remember from last year.

- I thought Fernandes looked like he might be a decent looking prospect for us.

- Our QB’s appeared to often be late on their throws, particularly the out & stop routes. As previously mentioned, there were numerous pass break-ups.

- I watched a little bit of line play and I thought that Barboza showed potential on the O-line, and Sani Buckingham & Richardson both looked good at times on the D-line.

- We looked better up front defensively. But I don’t know if this was because the O-line was playing both ways and naturally wore down?

- Crowd was smaller than the past few years. The weather probably had a lot to do with this.

- Not sure about our kicking game, we looked shaky tonight but we also appeared to run a different kicker out there for each attempt.

Last edited:
I watched the game. I was not overly impressed, but I also admit that I have no clue how to interpret what I saw. There were 21 guys not playing, the same O-line played for both sides, the winds had a legtimate impact on the passing game, the rosters were divided....so in summary there is just no telling how what we saw tonight will translate into competition against a different team.

With that said, here are some random thoughts based ONLY what I saw tonight and under tonight’s conditions only:

- We threw the ball laterally and behind the line of scrimmage A LOT. We also very rarely threw the ball beyond 15 yards.

Ol

- The two freshmen corners, Wilson and Bowers, both had good games with multiple pass break ups each. It was as if they have grown used to our offense not throwing deep, as I mentioned in my first point, and they were just ready to jump every 5 to 10 yard pass route.

- Warren Redix and Walter Dawn Jr. were our top WR’s tonight, although Dawn did drop a potential TD pass on one of our few deep pass attempts.

- The Eastwood duo of Torrez and Rodriguez both looked good at times during this contest. Torrez seemed to have a stronger arm tonight than what I remember from last year.

- Our QB’s appeared to often be late on their throws. As previously mentioned, there were numerous pass break-ups.

- I watched a little bit of line play and I thought that Barboza showed potential on the O-line, and Sani Buckingham & Richardson both looked good at times on the D-line.

- We looked better up front defensively. But I don’t know if this was because the O-line was playing both ways and naturally wore down?

- Crowd was smaller than the past few years. The weather probably had a lot to do with this.

- Not sure about our kicking game, we looked shaky tonight but we also appeared to run a different kicker out there for each attempt.

I think that is a good assessment. Dimel said in an interview that they were going to keep the offense/defense vanilla so they don’t tip their hand going into the fall. Plus I’m sure they’re still learning everything so I’m going to give them a pass.

I was glad they broadcast the game over the radio and online, which may be a first for UTEP. These are the steps UTEP should be talking if they want to engage fans year round.

- We threw the ball laterally and behind the line of scrimmage A LOT. We also very rarely threw the ball beyond 15 yards

Wind gusts at 50 mph probably affected both as well

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I watched the game. I was not overly impressed, but I also admit that I have no clue how to interpret what I saw. There were 21 guys not playing, the same O-line played for both sides, the winds had some impact on the passing game, the rosters were divided....so in summary there is just no telling how what we saw tonight will translate into competition against a different team.

With that said, here are some random thoughts based ONLY on what I saw tonight and under tonight’s conditions:

- Our QB’s appeared to often be late on their throws, particularly the out & stop routes. As previously mentioned, there were numerous pass break-ups.

Listened on radio and you're pretty spot on. Lots and lots of social media love between fans and staff and that was a strategic success the last few months. Dimel always has a smile on face when in public and that sells your product. Kug wouldn't embrace that fact. However; Dimel's strategic approach on the field is not clear to me. Blitz more or what. CUSA is pass happy so this is important. The lateral passes? They were bust under Kugler so what makes fans think it will succeed under Dimel? Locksley's quick release? UTEP needs to unleash Dawn and edpecially Redix. Will he be used much more or what or is a approach by committee? Kugler used live fire for his camps and it was a factor to his downfall because UTEP was limping into the first game at least two of his seasons that I can remember. What's Dimel approach?

Honestly, they need to move the spring game to a saturday and include a bunch of other activities. Bring in ALL the different athletes from all the different sports. Have a food truck show in the north lot. Have the band and get sponsors to donate giveaways. Have people pushing season tickets with some random drawings to give some away for free. Have a kids zone area. Most importantly, do most of this stuff PRIOR to the spring game.

Also, have booths set up for donations to the athletic program. Do 50/50 during the game to go towards the athletic department.
Have the so called DJ play music and make it fun before and after....

I HATE having a kids zone during any game. Engage the youth during the games, don't make us go away from the action.

Honestly, they need to move the spring game to a saturday and include a bunch of other activities. Bring in ALL the different athletes from all the different sports. Have a food truck show in the north lot. Have the band and get sponsors to donate giveaways. Have people pushing season tickets with some random drawings to give some away for free. Have a kids zone area. Most importantly, do most of this stuff PRIOR to the spring game.

Also, have booths set up for donations to the athletic program. Do 50/50 during the game to go towards the athletic department.
Have the so called DJ play music and make it fun before and after....

I HATE having a kids zone during any game. Engage the youth during the games, don't make us go away from the action.

I am playing devil´s advocate here, but how many people were at the game? I am sure next year will be better but I bet they lost money on the spring game because they have to staff the game and they’re not charging admission. If there was next to nobody at the game does it really make sense to make these things into game day spectaculars for a few hundred people at that?

You can tell Senter and his staff are taking steps into the right direction. I was impressed that they had the game on the radio and online. That to me was a big step in the right direction. I do agree that they should at the very least have people trying to sign people up for season tickets as well as seeking donations for the Athletic Department. The main thing we can take away from this game is that they are trying to move forward and engage the fans. Was it perfect? Far from it, but it is an improvement from years past and I am sure next year will be better.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT