ADVERTISEMENT

Stat geeks— if we beat WSU

unihorn

MI Miner Maniac
Dec 1, 2007
Put that in perspective in terms of P5 wins over the last 10 years or so, please.

WSU is a perrineal bottom dweller in the PAC 12. They did have a good start before their last 2 defeats to lesser teams?

I would compare it to our win over Nebraska a few years ago.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
WSU is a perrineal bottom dweller in the PAC 12. They did have a good start before their last 2 defeats to lesser teams?

Right, but it would be a win vs. a P5 — how many have we had lately?

2014 Washington State
2013 Tennessee, Washington State
2012 Oregon, Nebraska
2011 Clemson, Auburn
2010 Michigan, Texas Tech

It hasn't happened in 4 years, so it would be a great win.

Memphis was in CUSA when we beat them. That doesn't count. Plus, the AAC isn't a P5 conference so you are wrong either way.

So what are the Zags and Uconn? Also what is Utah? When Memphis was in CUSA they were always ranked. Memphis could play in any Conference. Also what about the Big East and A10? I think in College Basketball you have some big time programs that dont play in P5 conferences. Instead of talking about Utep beating P5 teams. We got to talk about Quality Wins. To me Tim Floyds biggest win is when they beat Memphis at Memphis.

Reactions: unihorn
So what are the Zags and Uconn? Also what is Utah? When Memphis was in CUSA they were always ranked. Memphis could play in any Conference. Also what about the Big East and A10? I think in College Basketball you have some big time programs that dont play in P5 conferences. Instead of talking about Utep beating P5 teams. We got to talk about Quality Wins. To me Tim Floyds biggest win is when they beat Memphis at Memphis.

We aren't talking about ranked teams, we are talking about beating teams in P5 conferences. Gonzaga plays in the West Coast Conference, which is obviously not a major conference. Utah plays in the Pac 12 and are a P5 team.

Also, Memphis wasn't always ranked when they were in CUSA.

Memphis wasn't even ranked when Floyd beat them in 2011 @ Memphis.

Last edited:

Good point. It just seems we’ve had a dearth of P5 wins.

Reactions: axingfools1
I would say Floyd's biggest win was in 2012 against Oregon in a triple overtime thriller. Oregon ended up going to the Sweet 16 that year.

There was a very similar discussion not too long ago. Don't remember the count. Maybe somebody else does?
We did. We have played a lot of P5 schools the past ten years as well as a lot of good mid-major teams like New Mexico, UNLV, Fresno St. Colorado St., Boise St., BYU, Murray St, Richmond, St. Mary's, Butler and of course Memphis.

P5
Barbee
06-07: Wins Penn St. Losses Syracuse and Texas Tech
07-08: Wins none. Losses Texas A&M
08-09: Wins Texas Tech and Oregon St. Losses Wake Forest, Arizona St. and Oregon St. X 2.
09-10: Wins Oklahoma. Losses Miss St.

Floyd
10-11: Wins Michigan and Texas Tech. Losses Georgia Tech
11-12: Wins Clemson and Auburn. Losses Oregon and Kansas St.
12-13: Wins Oregon and Nebraska. Losses Arizona, Oklahoma, Clemson and Vanderbilt
13-14: Wins Tennessee and Wash St. Losses Iowa and Kansas.
14-15: Wash St. and Xavier. Losses Washington and Arizona
15-16: Wins none. Losses Wash St.
16-17: Wins none. Losses Wake Forest and Miss St.
17-18: Wins Wash St. , Losses South Carolina

Last edited:
Beating P-5 school in basketball doesn’t have the same clout as doing it in football. There’s a lot of good teams in basketball that aren’t in a P- 5 conference.

Plus, in the grand scheme of things, it means nothing if you aren't going for an at large bid.

When did we beat Nebraska?

Oh yeah. But sadly beating Nebraska in basketball is like a win against Vanderbilt in football. It's a win but carries no weight.

But then again a head to head with huskers would be iffy even after this quality win.

We did. We have played a lot of P5 schools the past ten years as well as a lot of good mid-major teams like New Mexico, UNLV, Fresno St. Colorado St., Boise St., BYU, Murray St, Richmond, St. Mary's, Butler and of course Memphis.

P5
Barbee
06-07: Wins Penn St. Losses Syracuse and Texas Tech
07-08: Wins none. Losses Texas A&M
08-09: Wins Texas Tech and Oregon St. Losses Wake Forest, Arizona St. and Oregon St. X 2.
09-10: Wins Oklahoma. Losses Miss St.

Floyd
10-11: Wins Michigan and Texas Tech. Losses Georgia Tech
11-12: Wins Clemson and Auburn. Losses Oregon and Kansas St.
12-13: Wins Oregon and Nebraska. Losses Arizona, Oklahoma, Clemson and Vanderbilt
13-14: Wins Tennessee and Wash St. Losses Iowa and Kansas.
14-15: Wash St. and Xavier. Losses Washington and Arizona
15-16: Wins none. Losses Wash St.
16-17: Wins none. Losses Wake Forest and Miss St.
17-18: Wins none so far, Losses Iowa St.
When do UTEP lose to Iowa St this season? I think you meant South Carolina?

Reactions: axingfools1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT