ADVERTISEMENT

Sun Bowl

WestTxNA3

Four-star recruit
Oct 7, 2015
Per my sources there is a campaign out right now by the Athletic Dept. to raise a ton of money to upgrade and add a club/suite/new lockeroom facility to the south endzone. I cannot disclose a lot of the information but thought this was interesting, especially since the possibility that UTEP may be moving conferences is in discussion. What I can tell you is the facility in the south endzone would be 3-4 stories tall with 1 level of club seats and bar and 1-2 levels of suites and meeting rooms and the bottom level a new locker room.

Should be interesting to see if this ever takes off especilly if we move to MWC or some other bigger conference. This addition to the stadium would be crucial in recruiting and revenue dollars for a bigger conference.

Reactions: picks up
I know I'm beating a dead horse with this request: but I really wish they would put individual seats in the Sun Bowl.

Reactions: develman
First they should fix the handicapped accessibility as it is impossible to get around. Also, the bathrooms are truly a mess, so fix what we have first.
I am all for adding to the stadium, but need to fix what we currently have as well.

First they should fix the handicapped accessibility as it is impossible to get around. Also, the bathrooms are truly a mess, so fix what we have first.
I am all for adding to the stadium, but need to fix what we currently have as well.

I heard they are going to update the public restrooms too. sorry forgot to add that

Just hand the plans over to Hunt and Foster. They seem to be the only ones in town who get stuff done.

Pretty ignorant comment. Lane Gaddy has and is doing a lot especially with bringing back downtown. Jerry Rubin has built every shopping center that you shop at and probably employs your family and yourself. Myer Marcus has also built a ton of shopping centers. Richard Aguilar built Monticello and brought Alamo Drafthouse to EP. There are a lot more people than just Hunt and Foster that are bringing EP into the limelight.

As long as we don't give Basic IDIQ the contract we will be fine.

a ton of money........... the standard us bill has a average weight of .16 oz which means that about 100 bills would make up a pound and 2000 lbs. make up at standard US short ton so that would be 200,000 dollars. UTEP better ask for 20's for that ton...or we could us imperial tonnes, which consist of 2300 lbs and get a little more their money.....If I was UTEP I would look to raise at least 3 tons maybe 4 to really do the Sun Bowl up nice.

tumblr_inline_n0u7ifWFEg1rcmea6.gif

Pretty ignorant comment. Lane Gaddy has and is doing a lot especially with bringing back downtown. Jerry Rubin has built every shopping center that you shop at and probably employs your family and yourself. Myer Marcus has also built a ton of shopping centers. Richard Aguilar built Monticello and brought Alamo Drafthouse to EP. There are a lot more people than just Hunt and Foster that are bringing EP into the limelight.

So I'm ignorant because you took my post too literally? You could have replied without trying to be a dick about it.

Reactions: WestTxNA3

You both are right.

Anyways, it's been mentioned that Stull wants to build and an announcement will be within a few months?

Stull wants to retire and go out with a bang so if I was a betting man, I would guess he would want to announce a new conference and new upgraded renovation plans with corporate/booster press boxes so they don't have to sit next to inebriated Tio Poncho in the bleachers. Upgrading conferences takes a Missourian "show me" approach as to why should they should be invited as a new member. He did that to sell UTEP to CUSA.

Yes, Foster, Hunt and Rubin donate to UTEP/Texas Tech here in El Paso. Marcus and Aguilar are worthless, when is the last time they ever donated any money to any significant cause?

Yes, Foster, Hunt and Rubin donate to UTEP/Texas Tech here in El Paso. Marcus and Aguilar are worthless, when is the last time they ever donated any money to any significant cause?

I am not worried about what causes or charities they donate too. They donate different amounts to various causes which is fantastic and some more than others. I was referencing how much each contributes to the El Paso economy and have helped get this City on the map. Regardless they're all good people and that is not the point of this thread.

Question about the possible new end zone, will the locker rooms (home & visitors) be the same distance to the field like they are now? Also are they going to have loading docks on both sides so either the road team or bowl teams can get in and out a lot sooner.

Question about the possible new end zone, will the locker rooms (home & visitors) be the same distance to the field like they are now? Also are they going to have loading docks on both sides so either the road team or bowl teams can get in and out a lot sooner.

I did not get into those details...why do you ask? pretty random details to be worried about

Per my sources there is a campaign out right now by the Athletic Dept. to raise a ton of money to upgrade and add a club/suite/new lockeroom facility to the south endzone. I cannot disclose a lot of the information but thought this was interesting, especially since the possibility that UTEP may be moving conferences is in discussion. What I can tell you is the facility in the south endzone would be 3-4 stories tall with 1 level of club seats and bar and 1-2 levels of suites and meeting rooms and the bottom level a new locker room.

Should be interesting to see if this ever takes off especilly if we move to MWC or some other bigger conference. This addition to the stadium would be crucial in recruiting and revenue dollars for a bigger conference.

That's a nice touch. Hope Stull is able to get that moving before he starts moving (as in out). But let me ask this fiscally prudent question. If the Miners are only averaging 18-25K in attendance; is it smart money to add a club suite? I get a remodeled locker room, but I'm not sold on a club suite as meeting that burden.

That's a nice touch. Hope Stull is able to get that moving before he starts moving (as in out). But let me ask this fiscally prudent question. If the Miners are only averaging 18-25K in attendance; is it smart money to add a club suite? I get a remodeled locker room, but I'm not sold on a club suite as meeting that burden.

Absolutely the suites and club seats add 1.5 to 2 million a year in revenue. We will get back to 30,000 a game. Last year was an anomaly that resulted from the worst schedule in fbs, and early nationally televised beatdowns.

Absolutely the suites and club seats add 1.5 to 2 million a year in revenue. We will get back to 30,000 a game. Last year was an anomaly that resulted from the worst schedule in fbs, and early nationally televised beatdowns.

I dont disagree with @Tribalwarriorx because why add millions into the stadium when your program is consistently at the bottom every year. I would put lots of money into a top coaching staff, recruiters, uniforms first. But I also think a new locker room, facilities for the players will bring good talent. The upgraded public restrooms and concourse should help with attendance a little but I think instead of beautiful club section right now, that they should focus on the people on the field first then build a beautiful club/suite section.

I dont disagree with @Tribalwarriorx because why add millions into the stadium when your program is consistently at the bottom every year. I would put lots of money into a top coaching staff, recruiters, uniforms first. But I also think a new locker room, facilities for the players will bring good talent. The upgraded public restrooms and concourse should help with attendance a little but I think instead of beautiful club section right now, that they should focus on the people on the field first then build a beautiful club/suite section.

I think it goes hand in hand. The additional revenue will help increase coaches salaries. The Sun Bowl is a great venue bit is in desperate need of upgrades. This is a bog step in the progression of the program. With these upgrade and then hopefully and ipf in the near the future, the program will be in good shape.

The uniforms are provided by Nike. Nothing more money will do about that. Ive been told the equipment manager has had mock ups made of different colored helmets, but that Stull has vetoed any color but orange.

I think it goes hand in hand. The additional revenue will help increase coaches salaries. The Sun Bowl is a great venue bit is in desperate need of upgrades. This is a bog step in the progression of the program. With these upgrade and then hopefully and ipf in the near the future, the program will be in good shape.

The uniforms are provided by Nike. Nothing more money will do about that. Ive been told the equipment manager has had mock ups made of different colored helmets, but that Stull has vetoed any color but orange.

Is that a bog step with an 800lb ankle weight and steel toed work boots, while carrying a 75lb back pack, in a wind storm? lol

Reactions: Minerforlife
83f0c17bff6dffabbc25e0863568e081.jpg

I would like to see something similar to this design.

That's a helmet design that jump starts the program as going in a different direction from the past lethargic slosh in the mud approach. I love that logo and helmet design!

BTW, ok, before I get knifed like Jon Snow in Game of Thrones, considering the new contracts awarded to programs like what UnderArmor did with Cal and several other schools - why stay with Nike? Or is this more of Stull being a fuddy-dud??

Reactions: JCorona
That's a helmet design that jump starts the program as going in a different direction from the past lethargic slosh in the mud approach. I love that logo and helmet design!

BTW, ok, before I get knifed like Jon Snow in Game of Thrones, considering the new contracts awarded to programs like what UnderArmor did with Cal and several other schools - why stay with Nike? Or is this more of Stull being a fuddy-dud??

The nike contracts were locked in before Under Armor was as actively involved in college sports as they are now. When Floyd came in he was upset because Nike wouldn't give him the same deal has he had at USC. The basketball program with with Adidas for much less money. After Floyd got over his stuborness he switched to Nike. Apparently Nike was the favored company by Floyd and Kugler. Nike has first for right of refusal. Meaning they have the oppurtunity to match any offer another apparel company would make. Under Armor has made alot of smaller schools lucrative offers lately. It would be interesting to see if Under Armor made an offer if Nike would increase their bid to keep us in the fold.

The nike contracts were locked in before Under Armor was as actively involved in college sports as they are now. When Floyd came in he was upset because Nike wouldn't give him the same deal has he had at USC. The basketball program with with Adidas for much less money. After Floyd got over his stuborness he switched to Nike. Apparently Nike was the favored company by Floyd and Kugler. Nike has first for right of refusal. Meaning they have the oppurtunity to match any offer another apparel company would make. Under Armor has made alot of smaller schools lucrative offers lately. It would be interesting to see if Under Armor made an offer if Nike would increase their bid to keep us in the fold.

I'd like to see UA make a bid. I was surprised to read Cal was only getting $2 million a year from Nike. So the UA jump became a no-brainer. Then Nike turned around and locked down Michigan for $174 million over ten years (or 15).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT