ADVERTISEMENT

Tailgating - wish it would go back to the way it was!

MinerStorm

High school stud
May 7, 2008
I use to take my RV and park next to the Don Haskins Center, parking lot behind the gas station. Its a parking garage now. Those were fun times. NOW with the restrictions, many don't tailgate. UTEP lost many of their most loyal fans. Too bad !!!

I use to take my RV and park next to the Don Haskins Center, parking lot behind the gas station. Its a parking garage now. Those were fun times. NOW with the restrictions, many don't tailgate. UTEP lost many of their most loyal fans. Too bad !!!
Amen to that! As I have stated on various occasions, I believe it has killed attendance at football games as well. Since the mid 70's we have had a group of 30+ families (season ticket holders for all) that faithfully attended games. We all had kids and now grandchildren going with us. New rules have killed off participation with this group. Only maybe 4-5 families continue to be season ticket holders for football. As our children grew up they participated and soon had their own families. We added 10-12 to our group from our children and their friends. A lot of us still have B-ball tickets but do not tailgate!

I guess I don't get it, what are the specific tailgating rules that people have an issue with?

The major rule changes were:

- "Inner-Campus Tailgating" will not start until 2pm, instead of 12pm. This makes sense due to the fact that UTEP is a University and it's campus has classes on Saturday morning.

- Tailgating on the "outer campus lots" remained unchanged and people can leave cars/secure parking areas starting at 8am on game day.

- All people tailgating must enter the Sun Bowl by the end of the 1st quarter. One person will be allowed to stay behind at the tailgate site. I can't see why anybody would have a problem with this, since the game is the reason why people should be on campus. We don't need people just coming to campus on game days to party outside the stadium, adding more traffic congestion, using up parking spaces that could be used by real fans, leaving garbage behind for UTEP to clean up, and not even attending the games(thus not helping with the costs). This rule makes complete sense to me.

- The RV Lot still kept all of it's normal rights and times. Generators are banned on-campus but are still allowed in the RV lot.

- Radio Station remotes and Media Vans must be cleared by the University prior to game day. This seems reasonable to me.

- Tailgating is not allowed in the Parking Garages. I am sure that this is a legitimate safety issue and I have no problem with this.

- Glass bottles and kegs are not allowed on campus. Seems like a reasonable request to me, especially when considering the alternative is having to clean-up thousands of broken glass bottles all across campus.

- Tailgating must end one hour after the end of the game. Again, I don't see why this is a big problem?

I have season tickets and recieve a parking pass with them for about the same price that it costs to attend one big event/show that comes to the Plaza Theatre. So I don't get why people can't just do the same and also support their University while also saving themselves parking headaches.

As for the rule changes, UTEP had to try to do something to control under age drinking on their campus. Remember how embarassing it was for UTEP after the Texas Tech Tailgate brawl. Well imagine how bad it would have been for the University if an underage High School Student got drunk at a UTEP tailgate party(this was becoming an increasingly legitimate problem when tailgating was out of control) and imagine if that under-age drunk driver later killed someone while driving home from a UTEP tailgate at 1:00am in the morning. UTEP had to make some rule changes, they had no choice, they had to show that they were trying to deter that behavior on their campus. This also would have become a liability issue for the University had they continued to do nothing and something terrible like that had happened. And this doesn't even take into account the fights and other underaged drinking issues that campus police were having to deal with.

Finally, I think that people are underestimating the campus wide clean-up that was having to be done every Sunday under the old tailgating rules, in order to get the campus ready for classes on Monday. The campus was being trashed under the old rules. Parties were going well into the next morning and it was expensive to clean-up with less than 24 hours before classes started. On some Mondays, the trashed campus was still not cleaned by the time that classes started.

I personally don't see any rule change that is unreasonable. I don't see any rule change that would cause a fan to no longer attend a game. I understand why the University made it's changes. It really upsets me when I read a post above that talks about people no longer supporting UTEP(no longer buying season tickets) because of relatively small tailgating changes. So again, my question is: What is the one rule change that is really upsetting people and making them no longer want to attend games?

Last edited:
- Glass bottles and kegs are not allowed on campus. Seems like a reasonable request to me, especially when considering the alternative is having to clean-up thousands of broken glass bottles all across campus.
I imagine that's one of the big ones. I imagine there must be some compromise position here, perhaps greater availability of trash receptacles coupled with greater police presence on game day to crack down on littering. If people want to drink at their tailgates, and they won't attend the game otherwise, give them sufficient incentive to follow the rules. People want to have their fun, but it's not unreasonable to expect them to clean up after themselves.

- Tailgating must end one hour after the end of the game. Again, I don't see why this is a big problem?
Because some people would like to tailgate beyond that hour, and they're being told they can't. Duh.

I have issue with the start time. In 2002 when I started at UTEP there was no start time. Hell I was in a fraternity that would send guy the night before to spend the night in order to save our spot. We would get there at 6am and make breakfast and tailgate all day. As I got older still liked to show up early with family/friends for setup. Then UTEP changed start to 10, then noon and then 2pm. That's not worth it for a 5-6pm game. Especially for us that take grills, tents, tables and such. I spend more time getting things ready and loaded in my truck then I do tailgating. I only do the on campus tailgate because of the grass and shade. Id rather be at a bar before the game then off campus tailgating on asphalt.

I have issue with the start time. In 2002 when I started at UTEP there was no start time. Hell I was in a fraternity that would send guy the night before to spend the night in order to save our spot. We would get there at 6am and make breakfast and tailgate all day. As I got older still liked to show up early with family/friends for setup. Then UTEP changed start to 10, then noon and then 2pm. That's not worth it for a 5-6pm game. Especially for us that take grills, tents, tables and such. I spend more time getting things ready and loaded in my truck then I do tailgating. I only do the on campus tailgate because of the grass and shade. Id rather be at a bar before the game then off campus tailgating on asphalt.

He was called "pledge". Epsilon-Xi!

New Rules? How about we start winning some games. That would fix the tailgating blues. Guaranteed!

Telling us when to go into the games and when we could go back to our tailgating area. With kids, they are the number one consideration! Not ready to go, got sick, asleep, hungry, ready to leave game but not the tailgating. We always cleaned up our area even better than what we found when we arrived. Sometimes the night was beautiful, had the game on TV or radio, kids having fun playing with their family and friends, had grills ready for Smores for kids after games (how do you think you can get kids to go and enjoy and have good, fun, and fond memories of Miner games, the future tailgaters/supporters), after game food, dessert, and a good spiked coffee for us adults, older children would come with their friends for quality family and friends time then go on their way, for people that work or have other family duties to arrive late and enjoy, eat and etc.
* Children get bored!!!
In 40 some odd years never had an outside issue nor a problem.
* For a lot of people, it's not the game but the venue for family entertainment.
Yes more trash cans/dumpsters would definitely help, we took our trash out.
* How about more police presence!!! Wanna make more money, you need to invest! I remember more sheriff, trooper, and police officers before during and after the game, especially for traffic control!
* AND yes we would go early and save parking spots. We would make breakfast, or brunch, or lunch, watch games and/ or play football, frizbee while we waited for everyone else to come. I did it when I was a Kappa Sigma (1970) pledge as well.

Just a few personal observations and experiences, and I personally lament not going but family first. If the kids don't enjoy the experience, they won't be Miner fans/ticket holders and bring their children and grandchildren!!! That is how TRADITIONS are built/made! My/our children rue the fact that their kids are missing out on those great memories! And now my Grandchildren will miss out as well!
There are so many other entertaiment options now!!!;):)

Last edited:
Telling us when to go into the games and when we could go back to our tailgating area. With kids, they are the number one consideration! Not ready to go, got sick, asleep, hungry, ready to leave game but not the tailgating. We always cleaned up our area even better than what we found when we arrived. Sometimes the night was beautiful, had the game on TV or radio, kids having fun playing with their family and friends, had grills ready for Smores for kids after games (how do you think you can get kids to go and enjoy and have good, fun, and fond memories of Miner games, the future tailgaters/supporters), after game food, dessert, and a good spiked coffee for us adults, older children would come with their friends for quality family and friends time then go on their way, for people that work or have other family duties to arrive late and enjoy, eat and etc.
* Children get bored!!!
In 40 some odd years never had an outside issue nor a problem.
* For a lot of people, it's not the game but the venue for family entertainment.
Yes more trash cans/dumpsters would definitely help, we took our trash out.
* How about more police presence!!! Wanna make more money, you need to invest! I remember more sheriff, trooper, and police officers before during and after the game, especially for traffic control!
* AND yes we would go early and save parking spots. We would make breakfast, or brunch, or lunch, watch games and/ or play football, frizbee while we waited for everyone else to come. I did it when I was a Kappa Sigma (1970) pledge as well.

Just a few personal observations and experiences, and I personally lament not going but family first. If the kids don't enjoy the experience, they won't be Miner fans/ticket holders and bring their children and grandchildren!!! That is how TRADITIONS are built/made! My/our children rue the fact that their kids are missing out on those great memories! And now my Grandchildren will miss out as well!
There are so many other entertaiment options now!!!;):)
But my grandchildren, the 2 that live with us, will never miss a Miner Basketball game! Never tailgated for B-ball before! Easy to buy nachos, popcorn, or whatever without missing most of a quarter (of late, might not be a problem at football games). Can get up and leave whenever and still take them to Mickey D's. "Loads of fun"! Yahoo! For football, they'd rather stay over at their cousin's or friend's house than go to football. They miss the little get-togethers with family and friends at the football games. B-ball is an hour and half maybe two. Football much longer!

Reactions: jdubb66
50+ years of some really bad football and our big issue is when we can and cannot tailgate? I think I would rather see my 10 bucks GA flow to coaching pay, recruiting budgets and decent training table instead of more trash cans, picnic tables, porta potties and security. Win and all of this is moot. I could care less about what kind a shoes they wear, if there is enough porta potties, if the they serve pepsi or coke, etc. I care nothing about any of this crap, it's a football game and my fan experience is limited to great if they win, shitty if they lose.

50+ years of some really bad football and our big issue is when we can and cannot tailgate? I think I would rather see my 10 bucks GA flow to coaching pay, recruiting budgets and decent training table instead of more trash cans, picnic tables, porta potties and security. Win and all of this is moot. I could care less about what kind a shoes they wear, if there is enough porta potties, if the they serve pepsi or coke, etc. I care nothing about any of this crap, it's a football game and my fan experience is limited to great if they win, shitty if they lose.

Of course winning cures all, but the game experience matters to most people, too. UTEP is competing for people's time and entertainment dollars.

I think I would rather see my 10 bucks GA flow to coaching pay, recruiting budgets and decent training table instead of more trash cans, picnic tables, porta potties and security.
But if people are staying home due to tailgating rules, that's lost revenue. If some more trash cans and increased security provides an environment that will accommodate and draw more tailgaters, the increased revenue from ticket sales and concessions should more than offset the new trash can and security costs. And the greater crowds would of course help UTEP with recruiting which would in turn result in a better product on the field which would in turn draw bigger home crowds. At the very least the university should do a cost-benefit analysis.

I also believe that the street improvements/widening of certain streets (sun bowl dr) which removed a LOT of street parking, has also hurt. Some of those spots used to be utilized for tailgating. The rule in certain lots that you can only have your tent behind your car is just nit picking. Allowing one person to stay behind so you don't have to tear down is just silly. Yes, the idea is to use all the parking spaces for people that actually go to the games, but that doesn't stop UTEP for reserve entire lots for people that never come anyway. Does that make sense?

While it's easy to understand why these rules were put into place, they also came with a price. When attendance was at it's peak, Stull changed things. So, as we start losing again, the average joe fan doesn't want to deal with the hassle.
I used to go set up at 8 am every saturday. Cooked, watch many tvs that we set up to catch all the college games, played various games, and included all our families in the events. LOVED it. While a lot has changed in my life, the hassles that come attached with UTEP football just doesn't make it worth it.

When you get a moment, youtube Ol Miss home game tailgating/gameday rituals. It's nuts...I will bet money they don't have restrictions like we do....and they have ages from less than a year into their 90s and start tailgating before dawn.....so that's that....

Reactions: e-rick
I also believe that the street improvements/widening of certain streets (sun bowl dr) which removed a LOT of street parking, has also hurt. Some of those spots used to be utilized for tailgating. The rule in certain lots that you can only have your tent behind your car is just nit picking. Allowing one person to stay behind so you don't have to tear down is just silly. Yes, the idea is to use all the parking spaces for people that actually go to the games, but that doesn't stop UTEP for reserve entire lots for people that never come anyway. Does that make sense?

While it's easy to understand why these rules were put into place, they also came with a price. When attendance was at it's peak, Stull changed things. So, as we start losing again, the average joe fan doesn't want to deal with the hassle.
I used to go set up at 8 am every saturday. Cooked, watch many tvs that we set up to catch all the college games, played various games, and included all our families in the events. LOVED it. While a lot has changed in my life, the hassles that come attached with UTEP football just doesn't make it worth it.

When you get a moment, youtube Ol Miss home game tailgating/gameday rituals. It's nuts...I will bet money they don't have restrictions like we do....and they have ages from less than a year into their 90s and start tailgating before dawn.....so that's that....

Ahh, The Grove...

UTEP needs to join the real world of big time athletics. Stop providing traction to those who don't want to pay for a privilege like tailgating or parking close etc. If UTEP is dependent on fans who can't decide if they want to stay home and watch a pay per view fight, complain about ticket prices or tailgating rules or whatever it's a doomed program.(UTEP's is the Dollar General of college football in this respect). Been to almost 40 years of UTEP football and basketball and the trend is the same UTEP wins big and all the "fans" scramble and crawl like the casual supporters they are, demanding the same privilege, traction and promotion that the real fans receive (and have paid for like parking). Sometimes UTEP listens, changes a few things etc. Then UTEP starts to lose and this segment is gone, off to watch a Cowboys practice, a De la Hoya fight or what ever. Those of us who have been there have seen this show over and over and over. Maybe this is why UTEP appears to becoming more unresponsive to some of these demands from fandom. In the big picture they aren't important and by abiding to the demands they run a risk of running off the few fans who show up with expectation of watching a college football game and with a wallet all season.

I like it best when we just talk football ...

The problem is that it's June - there are no UTEP sports to talk about. This is usually the time of year when we have a ton of OT posts, but there haven't been that many this year. At least this thread gives everyone something to talk about.

Just follow Big Brother UT and follow the rules they have in place. I'm not sure how they're rules differ and of course they have a better tradition, but it'd make since for the UT schools to mirror each other one would think?

UTEP needs to join the real world of big time athletics. Stop providing traction to those who don't want to pay for a privilege like tailgating or parking close etc. If UTEP is dependent on fans who can't decide if they want to stay home and watch a pay per view fight, complain about ticket prices or tailgating rules or whatever it's a doomed program.(UTEP's is the Dollar General of college football in this respect). Been to almost 40 years of UTEP football and basketball and the trend is the same UTEP wins big and all the "fans" scramble and crawl like the casual supporters they are, demanding the same privilege, traction and promotion that the real fans receive (and have paid for like parking). Sometimes UTEP listens, changes a few things etc. Then UTEP starts to lose and this segment is gone, off to watch a Cowboys practice, a De la Hoya fight or what ever. Those of us who have been there have seen this show over and over and over. Maybe this is why UTEP appears to becoming more unresponsive to some of these demands from fandom. In the big picture they aren't important and by abiding to the demands they run a risk of running off the few fans who show up with expectation of watching a college football game and with a wallet all season.

To this day I still want to know how Carrot Top got caught up in this brawl?:rolleyes:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT