ADVERTISEMENT

Terry Winn

??? It seems it's always some kind of drama since CTF came here. I hope everything is ok. I didn't hear anything during the broadcast, except to say Winn wasn't playing, but no info on the why.

According to Phil Johnson he was sent home for disciplinary reasons(1 game deal)...ugh

This sh%# gets old. This team doesn't have the luxury of being able to play at a high level without Artis, Omega, Willms, and Winn.

Either Terry let the team in a big way or Floyd went nuts for something minor.

Same ol sh#%.

How about this? If we're going to keep scheduling D2 or worse teams to start the year so that Floyd might get to 20 wins and keep his job, why don't we just suspend our good players for that game to cover the inevitable suspension that he's going to hand out when the games actually count?

Reactions: UTEP05
This sh%# gets old. This team doesn't have the luxury of being able to play at a high level without Artis, Omega, Willms, and Winn.

Either Terry let the team in a big way or Floyd went nuts for something minor.

Same ol sh#%.

Mum on the reason why a Floyd player is not on the bench tells me Winn may have done something really stupid or he was so sick or injured he had to stay at the hotel or sent back to El Paso. My money is he did something incredibly stupid, I hope to be wrong.

Caught the tail end of Johnson's post game comments, something to the effect of an off court incident is what I believe I heard above the noise I was dealing with. 1 game suspension.

Rules are rules. If he broke ANY rule, send his ass home. I'd like to know what he did.

I agree with Floyd instilling discipline and making them follow his rules. He is the boss, he makes the rules. Period.

I don't care if it happens every year. I don't care if it's our "star" players. Rules are rules...

Convincing a Republican or Democrat to change party's is like convincing a hard core Floyd hater or supporter to change his affiliation. Forget it. If they lose it's all Floyd's fault, if a player is disciplined it's definitely Floyd's fault, etc. If Willms tiebreaks a leg, whose fault is that? Guess who! There are certain voices in this board that have no trouble finding a platform after a loss, but after a win it's a little more difficult.

Reactions: miner661
Convincing a Republican or Democrat to change party's is like convincing a hard core Floyd hater or supporter to change his affiliation. Forget it. If they lose it's all Floyd's fault, if a player is disciplined it's definitely Floyd's fault, etc. If Willms tiebreaks a leg, whose fault is that? Guess who! There are certain voices in this board that have no trouble finding a platform after a loss, but after a win it's a little more difficult.

I'm among those that voice my displeasure with CTF as our coach. The only thing that would change my mind is results. A conference championship, a conference tourney championship, a couple NIT wins, an invitation to the dance, etc. However, as much as I loath hearing player X is in coach's doghouse, no player should be aloud to step outside of "team" core guidelines/principles. Let one guy get away with it and then watch what happens to those principles. I gotta back Floyd up on this one, as much as it irritates me that it continues to be an occurance every year.

Here in lies the problem not just here but in society in general. Rules are set up for a reason. If you choose not to follow them there are consequences. Unfortunately kids think they run the show and adults are irrelevant. When I was a kid I feared getting in trouble whether it was at home or at school. I was taught to respect my elders, teachers, police officers, and adults in general. I did not stick my nose in adult conversations and I knew my place in the world. We have given kids too much power over their lives and we see the results of this. Kids need adults to guide and to show them the correct way. We have lost all concept of right and wrong. Just listen to the music these kids listen to. Everything is about disrespecting everyone. I applaud a coach who has the balls to stand up to these kids and set them straight. The kids don't run the program the coaches do. It is a privilege for them to put on a college uniform and receive a college education. Kids come and go. But if they learn anything it should be respect for authority, right from wrong, and of course respect for each other. Support the coaches who keep their players under control. Everyone wins in end if we get back to basics.

When multiple players are suspended EVERY season, I can no longer believe it's a player issue. There is only one constant in these situations, and it's Floyd
Wrong!!! There's another constant....that would be YOU...with a little help from 05!

Wrong!!! There's another constant....that would be YOU...with a little help from 05!

USAF is in no way in line or getting help from 05.

We got some new faces in here (not you 1liner) and that's a good thing! I suggest the newbies take the talk show radio approach, so to speak. Read through the entirety of this forum from the past few weeks. Sit back and watch to get a hold of the culture of this forum.

This site is corporate owned. If you want more of a shackles free, unabashed UTEP sports forum, I recommend "Kyyote's Den". It's run by a super nice guy and doesn't go Sister Catherine on you if you drop a F bomb or go off topic.

Welcome. We have our trolls on here and they stand out like a sore thumb if you sit back and watch. May I recommend to not troll our opponents, especially those from the bigger P5 conferences that play against UTEP. If you do engage them, keep it constructive and open minded. We have NMSU trolls on here (and even at Kyyote's) who use false flag names and debate about UTEP. Don't feed them.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
I remember when Floyd replaced Barbee, folks were upset with the way Barbee disciplined players and were happy Floyd was coming to clean it up. Now that we have Floyd, as he is disciplining players, folks are upset. Make up your minds.

You're a Floyd homer to the end. I get that. Personally, I don't hate Floyd. I have a lot of respect for the history he has with this program. Few people were more ecstatic than me when he was hired. That, however, was over 7 years ago.

What I, and everyone else, have seen is a yearly repeat of the same issues (player transfers, player dismissals, poorly executed basketball, and continued distractions with varying players being suspended for multiple games a year). These yearly issues aren't coincidence-- they are a pattern, and at the end of the day they fall under the responsibility of the head coach. That's just the way it goes.

I do know one thing-- this type of stuff would never be acceptable to any upper echelon program. If we are to strive for excellence and become one of those programs again, we shouldn't accept it either. If mediocrity is good enough for you, so be it.... but understand that some of us can't lower our expectations to your standards. ...

You're a Floyd homer to the end. I get that. Personally, I don't hate Floyd. I have a lot of respect for the history he has with this program. Few people were more ecstatic than me when he was hired. That, however, was over 7 years ago.

What I, and everyone else, have seen is a yearly repeat of the same issues (player transfers, player dismissals, poorly executed basketball, and continued distractions with varying players being suspended for multiple games a year). These yearly issues aren't coincidence-- they are a pattern, and at the end of the day they fall under the responsibility of the head coach. That's just the way it goes.

I do know one thing-- this type of stuff would never be acceptable to any upper echelon program. If we are to strive for excellence and become one of those programs again, we shouldn't accept it either. If mediocrity is good enough for you, so be it.... but understand that some of us can't lower our expectations to your standards. ...

I've got no issue with you miner1liner. I respect your point of view, so please don't take my support of USAF's stance as an attack on you or your opinion.

PREACH, USAF!!! That was well said. Eloquent, concise and reflective of how an ever growing number of Miner fans feel. No way in hell I could have said it any better myself.

I get what you are saying but college basketball is not an exact science. Even the upper echelon schools with many more resources available to them than UTEP miss on players. Players transferring in and out of programs used to be a very rare thing. Now if you yell at a player, don't play them enough, or make practice too hard they leave for what they think are greener pastures. Kids nowadays expect to be catered to. Coach Floyd was taught by Haskins. He is not going to tolerate any BS from these kids. If they can't handle it they can leave, sit on the bench, or do what they are told and eventually play again. Unfortunately Floyd has to take chances with his recruits because most of the "can't miss kids" want to play in higher profile conferences that play on TV on a regular basis. Who wouldn't? College is just a developmental league for the NBA and every kid thinks they are NBA caliber. The fact is most are not even college caliber, which you find out when they are already here, which is too late. This causes players to come and go as they look for the right fit, which creates instability in the program. Kids don't play for the love of the game anymore, they play for themselves. Remember Kent Lockhart, Quintin Gates, Luster Goodwin, Jeep Jackson, Wayne Soup Campbell, Tim Hardaway......those players among others played for their Coach (Haskins) and UTEP...not for themselves. UTEP will be great again.....with or without Floyd. We need players who want to be here.

Not defending Floyd here, I've already been accused of being a homer by some less than credible characters here, so I really don't care anyway. But I'm providing these links to keep things a little real. There is a transfer epidemic, one look at the lists from the last few years alone proves no school is immune from both graduate and under-graduate transfers. I think the most telling stat is from the 1st linked article straight from the NCAA's mouth, about 40% who enter division I straight out of high school will depart their initial school by the end of their sophomore year. That's a pretty alarming rate, looking at the list, quite frankly, no school is immune.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/tracking-transfer-division-i-men-s-basketball

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/14390188/college-basketball-transfer-list

http://www.espn.com/blog/jeff-goodm...9/top-10-transfers-and-complete-transfer-list

Man if the team could defend the 3 point line like your defending Floyd here their would be no need for this thread .... "howeveeer" Floyd is not in his 2nd 3rd or 4th year here he is in his seventh and all that BS you just spewed is just that BS. Nobody said don't discipline your players what we've said is do whatever the hell you want but get us in a position to be relevant. When you combine not being relevant and progressively getting worst with his shenanigans and compare to succesful decent programs/coaches around the country you see a huge desparity. What do they say about doing the same thing over and over again?

I remember when Floyd replaced Barbee, folks were upset with the way Barbee disciplined players and were happy Floyd was coming to clean it up. Now that we have Floyd, as he is disciplining players, folks are upset. Make up your minds.

I thought Barbee was a disciplinarian with his players. What was there to clean up? Floyd had success with Barbee's recruits.

Reactions: UTEP05 and develman
I am not a Floyd Homer to the point that I am blind to the disappointing results in his tenure. I support his handling of the Terry Winn situation which is the topic of this conversation. I support him in this instance because of Winn's history going back to last season, so I guess I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt here. It pains me deeply to suffer through one downer season after another and wish it would come to a screeching halt. If it means replacing Floyd; so be it, although I wish it had been under his watch. I hope in my lifetime I get the pleasure of enjoying Miner basketball once again the way it used to be.
Amen

I don't see how anybody can support Floyd, or not support Floyd, regarding Winn when we don't know what Winn did.

The bottom line is that the Miners lost again. At the end of the day, you either win or you don't. At the risk of sounding like the clown president elect, UTEP doesn't win anymore. I am sick and tired of not winning.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Floyd just said on the radio pregame show that he is not sure that Terry will be back with the team. If that's true, we can flush this season down the toilet.

Reactions: UTEP05
If you had "Before Thanksgiving" as the time when Floyd would threaten to throw his first player off the team in your office pool, congrats!!!

The good thing is that it really seems to energized the team.

OKAY!!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡?¡!!THIS HAS TO BE THE MOST UNBELIEVABLE, UNBEARABLE PUNISHMENT I'VE EVER GONE THROUGH. YOU CAN NOW ADD MY NAME TO THE FLOYD'S GOTTA GO LIST. ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE FOR BEING THIS TERRIBLE AND WE ALSO DISCOVER THAT IT WASN'T JUST A ONE GAME SUSPENSION FOR WINN. THIS IS PROBABLY HAVING A BEARING ON THE REST OF THE TEAM'S ATTITUDE AND PERFORMANCE.
SICK

Reactions: USAFminersfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT