ADVERTISEMENT

That loss to MTSU really hurts. (Path to the conference tourney?)

FeralFelidae

MI Miner Maniac
Sep 1, 2003
I still feel the Miners were ROBBED. Worst officiating of the season. We'd both have 4 wins right now, and instead they're two (and a half) games ahead. Can the Miners make up the ground?

I really want these young Miners to experience the conference tournament.

It’s going to be tough but if we can split the road series we will be in much better position. We’ve struggled on the road this year (winless) and traditionally we’ve had a hard time winning in Ruston or Hattiesburg.

The other problem is there are five teams that can end up in our pod.

FIU, RICE, MTSU, FAU, and or LT. They have all had their ups and downs.

If I had to make a guess who joins us and Charlotte, I would say MTSU and FIU. MTSU has to travel to Marshall and WKU. FIU hosts RICE and North Texas.

I like our chances in a pod against MTSU, Charlotte, and FIU.

I really like this pod format. It's like a mini-tournament. The last few games will be high stakes (relatively speaking).

I want these players to play as much as possible too.

Would a CBI take us even after this rough a season? I'm always in favor of more basketball.

So I did the tiebreaker for the five way tie and at the moment it looks like this.

8. RICE ( @ FIU, @ FAU)
9. FAU ( NT, RICE)
10. FIU ( RICE, NT)
11. LT ( UTEP, UTSA)
12. MTSU (@ WKU, @ Marshall)

13. UTEP ( @ LT, @ USM)
14. Charlotte ( @ODU)

I think we can lock in MTSU into the bottom pod since they have currently lose every tie breaker with those other four teams. The 11th spot will be decided on the court amongst each other.

I really like this pod format. It's like a mini-tournament. The last few games will be high stakes (relatively speaking).

Would a CBI take us even after this rough a season? I'm always in favor of more basketball.
Did you really ask that about the CBI? The miners have 7 wins!! Unless u think we're gonna win out til the conference tourney semis or something. Let's just get better for next year, No CBI isn't knocking on our door at 9-20 or whatever we end at lol.

Ok so found some more info. We are pretty much locked into the 13 seed unless we sweep the next road swing.

As the 13 seed we would be at home vs 11/12 and on the road at 12/14.

If things go as projected we would do a h/h with MTSU and travel to Charlotte. The 11 seed is tricky right now but I think it will be either one of the Florida schools or RICE.

tenor.gif

Reactions: nattybry
My understanding was that those those tournaments were pretty much open invitations and the only pre-requisite was a willingness to pay.

My understanding is that the P5 schools have pretty much shunned those tournaments, along with schools like UTEP and NMSU in the past when they think they were robbed of the better tournaments.

My understanding was that those those tournaments were pretty much open invitations and the only pre-requisite was a willingness to pay.

My understanding is that the P5 schools have pretty much shunned those tournaments, along with schools like UTEP and NMSU in the past when they think they were robbed of the better tournaments.
A winning record is not 100% required, but most teams do the ones that done are a game or so below .500 No one including Utep wants to see a team in there with single digits wins!

Reactions: TxRdKiller

Two teams have participated with a record of four games under .500. One of those actually won the whole damn thing on our court.

We are 8-15 with at least seven games remaining. If we can go 5-2 over that span to finish at 13-17 and if Senter and Terry want to spend 25k to play then there is a chance.

Reactions: minermx07

The CIT does not invite P5 schools and never has. It has always billed itself as a mid-major/small school tournament. (UTEP has never played in this tournament.) Last season, Drake at 16-16 had the worst record in the field

The CBI, on the other hand, did have aspirations to compete with the NIT and has tried to court P5 schools. There were some takers in the early years of the tournament, but I think it has been several years since any have played in the tournament. The CBI still sends invitations to P5 schools (Maryland last season, apparently), but no takers.

I guess when there are so many NCAA and NIT bids given to the P5 schools, if a P5 school can't even make the NIT, they automatically consider that a failure.

Two teams have participated with a record of four games under .500. One of those actually won the whole damn thing on our court.

We are 8-15 with at least seven games remaining. If we can go 5-2 over that span to finish at 13-17 and if Senter and Terry want to spend 25k to play then there is a chance.
Question is do any believe we can go 5-2? I would love to say yes, but have a hard time believing it.

I think we might get 10 or 11 wins max. It's just what it is this season. When pretty much knew coming in that next year and the year after is what's gonna be fun. Freshman are playing hard though, and that's good.

Question is do any believe we can go 5-2? I would love to say yes, but have a hard time believing it.
If we can steal one on the road this week I’ll feel much better about that possibility.

We have to remember our last four games will be against the three other worst teams in the conference.

That will be our best chance to put together a winning streak.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT