ADVERTISEMENT

The Eyes of Texas the next sacrifice to satisfy the mobs?

The school should stop dragging this out. Either get rid of the song or just say no! If it is really bothering the players that much, they'll go play somewhere else that they feel less victimized. End the end no one will leave and all the noise will die down.

If the players did actually care about what they're complaining about and leave the school. Texas would be really bad. Like Kansas bad.

The school should stop dragging this out. Either get rid of the song or just say no! If it is really bothering the players that much, they'll go play somewhere else that they feel less victimized. End the end no one will leave and all the noise will die down.

If the players did actually care about what they're complaining about and leave the school. Texas would be really bad. Like Kansas bad.

Agree, it’s just a dumb song. I think it’s funny that past players never had an issue with it before, but are now complaining about it.

Agree, it’s just a dumb song. I think it’s funny that past players never had an issue with it before, but are now complaining about it.

Kids today think being an activist is just throwing temper tantrums and writing letters. None of these kids are ready to make personal sacrifices. If they were, they would have already left the program and went to another school that they felt was less "racist."

Someone needs to tell them to either take action or stop whining! Either way, I'm all for people fighting for what they believe in, but this just isn't fighting at all. I don't even know what the hell they call this crap.

Prove that was a donor.

It's in the story, Mr. unihorn:

"It's time for you to put the foot down and make it perfectly clear that the heritage of Texas will not be lost," wrote another donor who graduated in 1986. Their name was also redacted by UT-Austin. "It is sad that it is offending the blacks. As I said before the blacks are free and it's time for them to move on to another state where everything is in their favor."

If you don't believe it's a donor, challenge Kate McGee, the reporter at the Texas Tribune who wrote the story and noted that the donor's name had been redacted by the university.

Last edited:
Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
How do you know no past player has ever had a problem with it? In the past you just had to keep quite. Nowadays we're allowed to speak up on issues that bother us.

How do you know no past player has ever had a problem with it? In the past you just had to keep quite. Nowadays we're allowed to speak up on issues that bother us.

that’s fair I guess. How many have come out and said they transferred because of it? Either after the fact or 20 years later? I bet the number is extremely small, if not zero.

Problem is, all they're doing is speaking up. Where's the action? When are they going to boycott the school? It's just easier for them to sit back and complain and hope that someone else does the heavy lifting for them. Pretty much every kid that's on scholarship there could play for just about any other school in the country. They chose to go to Texas knowing that that song was going to be sung. The discomfort that they feel is on them.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Problem is, all they're doing is speaking up. Where's the action? When are they going to boycott the school? It's just easier for them to sit back and complain and hope that someone else does the heavy lifting for them. Pretty much every kid that's on scholarship there could play for just about any other school in the country. They chose to go to Texas knowing that that song was going to be sung. The discomfort that they feel is on them.
Maybe that's why Texas can't get back. Recruits are opting for other schools.

Of course the writer will focus on one donors's comments over the thousands of others. If that is the worst racist comment the writer could find then I would say that is pretty extraordinary. I would also question if the writer did not stick in "and it's time for".

After all I would never challenge one of these writer's, since we all know how they never have an agenda and they are so even handed and truthful all the time. We should just take everything they say and believe it.

Reactions: unihorn
Maybe that's why Texas can't get back. Recruits are opting for other schools.

I counted 71 African Americans on their team. All those most likely aren't on scholarship and all of them are probably not complaining about the song. But let's just say 30 out of the 71 have a problem with the song. If those 30 players chose to go somewhere else and made it known it was because of the song, that would send a much more definitive and clear message than writing some BS letter.

Not true. They have averaged a top 10 recruiting class over the last 5 years. And I am not even counting basketball, which the team coming in is a top 10 class as well.

yeah recruits aren’t going to UT because of an old fight song, they had no idea was “racist” until last March!!!

Not true. They have averaged a top 10 recruiting class over the last 5 years. And I am not even counting basketball, which the team coming in is a top 10 class as well.
Ok. Texas has always had top 10 recruiting classes but only 3 conference championships in the last 25 years. There's clearly a lack of championship talent.

I counted 71 African Americans on their team. All those most likely aren't on scholarship and all of them are probably not complaining about the song. But let's just say 30 out of the 71 have a problem with the song. If those 30 players chose to go somewhere else and made it known it was because of the song, that would send a much more definitive and clear message than writing some BS letter.
Yeah or they could stay and attempt to make a historic change.

The song has a great deal of meaning to alumni. It’s about high expectations for UT’s graduates.

The song has a great deal of meaning to alumni. It’s about high expectations for UT’s graduates.

So what? It’s a ****ing song. If you’re favorite song in the world in Thriller by Michael Jackson and you were never able to hear it again, your life would go on and you would have your memories of it. How many times do you go around playing the UT fight song?

It’s a song

So what? It’s a ****ing song. If you’re favorite song in the world in Thriller by Michael Jackson and you were never able to hear it again, your life would go on and you would have your memories of it. How many times do you go around playing the UT fight song?

It’s a song

It’s part of a proud tradition that shouldn’t be just tossed aside at the slightest whiff of insensitivity.

Reactions: Rocketsr
It’s part of a proud tradition that shouldn’t be just tossed aside at the slightest whiff of insensitivity.

I agree, but some UT guy can open up a bar and play the song 24/7, as you can too. If it bothers you that much you can’t hear it after the football games, then you’re just as big a snowflake as the ones trying to get rid of it.

I agree, but some UT guy can open up a bar and play the song 24/7, as you can too. If it bothers you that much you can’t hear it after the football games, then you’re just as big a snowflake as the ones trying to get rid of it.
tenor.gif

It’s a song
Grimace, go to a beloved family member, if one such exists since I can't believe you're this much of a total ass as you are on here with loved ones, but back to the topic. Go and take their favorite shirt or blouse and give the family pet a good ass wiping and while you're at it clean your petulance from your ass as well and declare "It's just a f'en article of clothing! What's the bid deal?!"

Let me know what the response is?

Reactions: Rocketsr
Name one time racial equality was achieved from the inside? I can only think of changes when the aggrieved causes disruption.
If they transfer out they'll get replaced and nothing happened. If they make an in game protest during a crucial game then maybe something happens.

If they transfer out they'll get replaced and nothing happened. If they make an in game protest during a crucial game then maybe something happens.

People are naturally followers. If kid's make it a point to say we're not going there till this is changed, other kids will follow. It won't happen though, because it would require personal sacrifices. Time for Texas to just put their foot down and tell them to get over it or leave.

Grimace, go to a beloved family member, if one such exists since I can't believe you're this much of a total ass as you are on here with loved ones, but back to the topic. Go and take their favorite shirt or blouse and give the family pet a good ass wiping and while you're at it clean your petulance from your ass as well and declare "It's just a f'en article of clothing! What's the bid deal?!"

Let me know what the response is?

Are some UT students upset about a single person’s t-shirt? Is only 1 student playing this song. Poor analogy, but okay

People are naturally followers. If kid's make it a point to say we're not going there till this is changed, other kids will follow. It won't happen though, because it would require personal sacrifices. Time for Texas to just put their foot down and tell them to get over it or leave.
Sounds good. We'll see what the consequences of that attitude lead to. You can't buy championships.

Reactions: Taco1977
All that nice equipment, scholarship money and state of the art facility?

Paid by rich donors.

Time to "put your money where your mouth is"... step away if you don't like it, but all major programs have rich old donors who love tradition

Are some UT students upset about a single person’s t-shirt? Is only 1 student playing this song. Poor analogy, but okay
Why is it poor? It's poor to you because you can't comprehend the scope of the debate?

If the government said no more diesel 4x4's on the road, only electric, there would be an uprising. But since it has no relevance to you it doesn't mean anything?

Why is it poor? It's poor to you because you can't comprehend the scope of the debate?

If the government said no more diesel 4x4's on the road, only electric, there would be an uprising. But since it has no relevance to you it doesn't mean anything?

A diesel 4x4 costs a good chunk of money and may be someone’s only form of transportation. A shirt is not that and neither is a fight song. It’s like if you went to Applebee’s and every time you went, you requested to play Material Girl by Madonna or they played it as you left the restaurant. One day, the decide to stop playing it, reason doesn’t really matter. The food and service is the same. You just decide to throw a hissy fit because you can’t hear this song anymore. You have two options, keep going or take your business elsewhere. That’s what this is. It’s a song. That you can hear anytime on your phone.

Reactions: Taco1977
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT