ADVERTISEMENT

The path to a bowl game

Minerforlife

MI Hall of Famer
Sep 11, 2013
If we play like we did against FAU, we have a pretty good shot at a bowl. CUSA has seven bowl slots six wins will get you in. The path to six is simple beat Rice, ODU and UNT. We should beat Rice at home. They are 4-3 but their wins are over wagner, UNT, FAU and Army. They beat FAU by one and got a late td to beat a terrible Army team.

ODU is terrible but we all know about our struggles on the east coast. This should be the game to exorcise the east coast demons.

UNT is playing better for their interim coach. I wouldnt be suprised if they beat UTSA tommorow. This is still a game we should win.

La Tech is good but hasnt played well outside ruston. Their only road win was a narrow four point escape against UTSA. We will be under dogs but its not as daunting a game as it once seemed.

Southern Miss is the most difficult game left on our schedule. Its a hostile enviornment against a good team. USM's Achilles heel is turnovers. Hopefully we can force some turnovers and make this game interesting.

Right now I would give us a 40% chance to make a bowl. Its all dependent on Leftwich staying healthy. Last year Kugler turned around our November fortunes. If he can do it again we will go bowling.

I agree with everything you said except for "We should beat Rice at home". Even North Texas isn't a guaranteed game because, with this team, there are no guaranteed victories. I would say 40% is a good prediction.

The FAU win was a good win considering how this season has gone so far, but they are one of the worst teams in the country. This week's game is crucial for our bowl hopes .If we win then I think we have a good shot at a bowl game cause I think we could either beat Rice or La. Tech. A loss has at 5 loses and beating Rice and La. Tech is easier said than done considering our past showings against them. But if USM blows us out and we look like we have against every good team this year , then the season is pretty much over.

If we play like we did against FAU, we have a pretty good shot at a bowl. CUSA has seven bowl slots six wins will get you in. The path to six is simple beat Rice, ODU and UNT. We should beat Rice at home. They are 4-3 but their wins are over wagner, UNT, FAU and Army. They beat FAU by one and got a late td to beat a terrible Army team.

ODU is terrible but we all know about our struggles on the east coast. This should be the game to exorcise the east coast demons.

UNT is playing better for their interim coach. I wouldnt be suprised if they beat UTSA tommorow. This is still a game we should win.

La Tech is good but hasnt played well outside ruston. Their only road win was a narrow four point escape against UTSA. We will be under dogs but its not as daunting a game as it once seemed.

Southern Miss is the most difficult game left on our schedule. Its a hostile enviornment against a good team. USM's Achilles heel is turnovers. Hopefully we can force some turnovers and make this game interesting.

Right now I would give us a 40% chance to make a bowl. Its all dependent on Leftwich staying healthy. Last year Kugler turned around our November fortunes. If he can do it again we will go bowling.
I agree, if every team we have left on the schedule plays like FAU. Not gonna happen .

LA Tech rolling Rice at the half. Driskel is sharp -- they've got athletes on D, too.

Last edited:
Minerforlife, you have faith in Miner fb like very very few. You are the eternal optimist and I feel for you cuz I've been there. You have The hope of someone who has lived fb all their life and who's son, or grandson, or best friend's son plays for the Miners. You are steadfast, for lack of a better word. I was an Iowa State fan for one of the above reasons. I never wavered but it wasn't always easy. I hope it works out like you envision it. I admire the loyalty.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT