ADVERTISEMENT

Top 10 Recruiting Takeaways Thus Far...

LaserCoog

All Star
Feb 5, 2002
My top 10 takeaways thus far on UTEP's 2017 football recruiting class from some (but not all) of the usual suspects on this board:

1) UTEP is the ONLY FBS program in the nation not to sign a SINGLE 3 star player, but UTEP really got screwed because a player was maybe three stars before he yada, yada, yada...

2) For the fifth consecutive season, Kugler's recruiting class is ranked DFL in C-USA, but that doesn't mean squat because there is no linkage between rating stars, conference standings, and on-field results.

3) Kugler will start to reel in a few higher rated recruits (although stars don't really matter) when he strings together a couple of winning seasons.

4) Kugler "doesn't care about stars or hype", because those responsible, high character kids are going to carry UTEP to the top of C-USA West next season.

5) Do you really expect a to get a quality HS prospect to play football in El Paso, Texas, when they can go to Ruston, La., Manhatten, Ks, Stillwater, Ok, Huntington, WV., or Western Kentucky University located in _______ (go ahead now, how many acturlly know were WKU is located - and Kentucky is not answer)?

6) Kugler is really good at retaining two star players from teams that have average four wins per season during his first four years on the job.

7) A limited number of scholarships guarantees you will never finish high in the conference recruiting rankings. And of course, one of the reasons you have a limited number of scholarships is because you retain so many two star players that have generated an average of four wins per season during your first four years on the job.

8) The reason Kugler can't/won't recruit game breaking skill players is because he doesn't have any returning game breaking skill players on the roster.

9) (My personal favorite) Maybe if Kugler does this a few more years he'll start to get the hang of it.

10) The pig squadron is taxiing to the runway for takeoff.

Last edited:
My top 10 takeaways thus far on UTEP's 2017 football recruiting class from some (but not all) of the usual suspects on this board:

1) UTEP is the ONLY FBS program in the nation not to sign a SINGLE 3 star player, but UTEP really got screwed because a player was maybe three stars before he yada, yada, yada...

2) For the fifth consecutive season, Kugler's recruiting class is ranked DFL in C-USA, but that doesn't mean squat because there is no linkage between rating stars, conference standings, and on-field results.

3) Kugler will start to reel in a few higher rated recruits (although stars don't really matter) when he strings together a couple of winning seasons.

4) Kugler "doesn't care about stars or hype", because those responsible, high character kids are going to carry UTEP to the top of C-USA West next season.

5) Do you really expect a to get a quality HS prospect to play football in El Paso, Texas, when they can go to Ruston, La., Manhatten, Ks, Stillwater, Ok, Huntington, WV., or Western Kentucky University located in _______ (go ahead now, how many acturlly know were WKU is located - and Kentucky is not answer)?

6) Kugler is really good at retaining two star players from teams that have average four wins per season during his first four years on the job.

7) A limited number of scholarships guarantees you will never finish high in the conference recruiting rankings. And of course, one of the reasons you have a limited number of scholarships is because you retain so many two star players that have generated an average of four wins per season during your first four years on the job.

8) The reason Kugler can't/won't recruit game breaking skill players is because he doesn't have any returning game breaking skill players on the roster.

9) (My personal favorite) Maybe if Kugler does this a few more years he'll start to get the hang of it.

before you throw the baby out with the bath water have you seen where the once ubiquitous Longhorns are rated? UT didn't even break the top 25 nationally (tied for 30 w/Colorado who hasn't been ranked since the Dead Sea was sick). Point is, stars don't measure heart.

We may not see any results for a couple of years. Not many kids right out of High School are ready for Division 1 football. There are no guarantee's with any of these kids regardless of the phantom stars they have. Those stars are for boosters and fans not coaches. The stars are given based on the teams recruiting them. No matter the number of stars a kid may get from these recruiting sites you can guarantee they will be dropped down a minimum of one to two stars once they sign with UTEP or any other mid-major school.

Here's a thought..... A coaches real obligation to his team is to take care of the young men that leave home to pursue an "education" while playing football. Don't confuse yourself....yes its nice to win, but that's not a universities main goal. Most of our players are now getting degrees so I say good job coach!

If it was all about rankings UTEP should be the worst program in the country. Now, I know we're not really good but you can't take these rankings to heart.

Last edited:
Here's a thought..... A coaches real obligation to his team is to take care of the young men that leave home to pursue an "education" while playing football. Don't confuse yourself....yes its nice to win, but that's not a universities main goal. Most of our players are now getting degrees so I say good job coach!

Are you kidding me? Coaches job is not to win? Everything you said Is bunch of B.S. Winning is #1 goal for any coach.

Wait, I'm confused. Kugler's "real obligation" is for his players to graduate and winning is not the "main goal"? I'm not saying I don't like seeing student athletes graduation, but in my opinion winning should be the main focus for a head coach and his staff should be the ones responsible for helping the student athletes graduate.

before you throw the baby out with the bath water have you seen where the once ubiquitous Longhorns are rated? UT didn't even break the top 25 nationally (tied for 30 w/Colorado who hasn't been ranked since the Dead Sea was sick). Point is, stars don't measure heart.

Texas had a bad class.

Just a quick question for you. Would you be less happy if Kugler went to and won bowl games on a consistent basis, but didn't have a high APR? Would you say "good job coach" then?

Are you honestly happy with Kugler's progress so far? I'm not and I would bet most on here aren't happy with what he has "accomplished".

Josh Fields just signed with UTEP. 3 stars too, which is an low but El Paso doesn't get much respect. This kid is a flat out stud and major signing for Kugler.

He finished this season as #7 in rushing yards in all of Texas despite playing less games than the three backs ahead of him on the list. He lead all running backs in class 6A.

If he played in a bigger city and put up those kind of number he would easily be a 4* rb.

Last edited:
LaserCoog has some good points and I would like to have Kugler or Stull acknowledge that the football program has to be a winning one or the coach will go. The high APR and graduating players is absolutely great but that should be considered a given. It was not with Price. But if being a real student is a given for the players, winning more often than you lose should be a given for the head coach. All coaches know that getting fired is part of the deal if you produce more losing seasons than winning ones. This should be Kugler's last year to prove his worth in that regard. A winning season should get him another couple of years. More winning seasons on top of that should get him a longer term contract. I really thought 4 years was enough but surely 5 years will be enough even for Stull.

Reactions: El Paso Sports Fan
Just like your posts.
giphy.gif

You are such a Debbie-Downer. Why do you even bother to post? Troll much?

You know, Vegas, instead of responding with labels and name-calling (a popular tactic these days), perhaps you might consider pointing out how you disagree with an opinion or provide factual support to contest a particular point of view. Or maybe you're one of those fans - all schools have them - who is simply content with the status quo and hostile to any viewpoint that might feel like the truth.

And don't call me Debbie...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT