ADVERTISEMENT

Tubby Smith leaving Texas Tech...

Thats a good move. Memphis is a top 20 job. More money, better facilities, easier access to recruits, great tradition, a no brainer for Tubby.

Yes, I saw that tweet yesterday. Apparently Tech wants Beard (former coach at Arkansas Little Rock) who I thought recently signed with UNLV.
Just checked and Beard did sign with UNLV and there is a $1million buyout clause. The tweet was from Jason King and was HIS opinion on who he thought would be good for Tech. Another name he mentioned was Larry Eustachy and felt he would be the best one to replace Tubby Smith.

Some are saying Beard was in Lubbock today.
He actually flew in tonight. His daughters go to school in Texas close to Lubbock. Word is if Beard takes the Tech job, Marvin Menzies would be a top candidate for the UNLV job.

$1 mill buy out to get Menzies is worth every penny. Let Yech take that hot young coach. Menzies will turn UNLV into a constant top twenty program.

Beard was a long time Bobby Knight assistant. He probably should of been head coach there when knight left instead of his son.

He actually flew in tonight. His daughters go to school in Texas close to Lubbock. Word is if Beard takes the Tech job, Marvin Menzies would be a top candidate for the UNLV job.

Curious as to why Beard would leave unlv for TT. Is he an alum or something?

A lot more money. And his kids are in school near Lubbock. Sounds like a good deal to me. However he had just been hired by UNL, hadn't he?

I see. I get the allure of coaching in a P5 conference where the $$$ is better. However with that said, when one compares the basketball rich tradition of unlv to the coaching graveyard that TT has often been, you have to wonder if it's worth it. Now on the flip side, I can see wanting to be closer to one's kids as being a really good reason to change locations. I'd probably do the same.

Last edited:
UNLV is a much better job than tech. I think he he is more comfortable in Lubbock than Vegas. UNLV is one of only three schools outside the power 7 conferences who I think could win a national title. They have great facilities, location and money.

Beard lived in Lubbock for years as an assistant for Bobby Knight. 2 of his 3 daughters were born there. All of his daughters live in Texas now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT