ADVERTISEMENT

Two teams, 1,940 miles apart. Both in same situation.

utep2step

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 10, 2001
Reactions: FarWestTexas
Just not interested in Kugler's excuses. Period. This is football, injuries are not the PROBLEM; injuries are the SYMPTOMS. The REAL problems are:

1. Failure to attract talent; three consecutive classes of - shall we say - sub-par recruiting, rated DFL in C-USA each season. (recruiting problem)

2. Failure to develop depth on either side of the ball. (recruiting and coaching problems)

3. Failure to understand the absolute imperative of recruiting, developing, and building your offense around a top tier, dual threat QB. (had a two year grace period when Showers absolutely FELL into his lap, failed to take advantage); even if NM kid has ANY chance of developing, Kugler cost him a year of development by ripping his redshirt - and for what? And there's not a single JC QB out there with 2+ years of eligibility worth an investment as an insurance policy? (problem = no "big picture"/strategic perspective)

4. Failure to run an exciting, creative, multi-dimensional offense that generates excitement, attracts quality skill players, and takes advantage of the offensive schemes run by most Texas high schools and the wealth of D1 talent in THIS state - not Pennsylvania or New York.(problem = no collegiate recruiting background, especially in football talent-rich Texas metropolitan areas.)

5. Failure to understand that HS players, parents, and coaches talk and have a grapevine. Nick Sabine can get away with being an ahole. Kugler can't.

Last edited:
Lasercoog, you UTEP fan pretender, I'd like to see you call Coach Kugler an ahole in person. C'mon tough guy, back up your constant stream of negative BS you post on here.

Just not interested in Kugler's excuses. Period. This is football, injuries are not the PROBLEM; injuries are the SYMPTOMS. The REAL problems are:

1. Failure to attract talent; three consecutive classes of - shall we say - sub-par recruiting, rated DFL in C-USA each season. (recruiting problem)

2. Failure to develop depth on either side of the ball. (recruiting and coaching problems)

3. Failure to understand the absolute imperative of recruiting, developing, and building your offense around a top tier, dual threat QB. (had a two year grace period when Showers absolutely FELL into his lap, failed to take advantage); even if NM kid has ANY chance of developing, Kugler cost him a year of development by ripping his redshirt - and for what? And there's not a single JC QB out there with 2+ years of eligibility worth an investment as an insurance policy? (problem = no "big picture"/strategic perspective)

4. Failure to run an exciting, creative, multi-dimensional offense that generates excitement, attracts quality skill players, and takes advantage of the offensive schemes run by most Texas high schools and the wealth of D1 talent in THIS state - not Pennsylvania or New York.(problem = no collegiate recruiting background, especially in football talent-rich Texas metropolitan areas.)

5. Failure to understand that HS players, parents, and coaches talk and have a grapevine. Nick Sabine can get away with being an ahole. Kugler can't.
I think you may have a mental disorder. Get yourself checked out.

Lasercoog, you UTEP fan pretender, I'd like to see you call Coach Kugler an ahole in person. C'mon tough guy, back up your constant stream of negative BS you post on here.

@vegas: First of all, I am not a "UTEP fan pretender". I am a college football fan that follows several programs, including UTEP. I've been transparent about my position and opinions from jump start - not a Sean Kugler fan. If that's the price of admission on this board, I may need to skeedaddle...

Second, this is an opinion board, not an on-line Sean Kugler support group. When I post mine (see above), I try to do so in a reasonable, coherent, and logical manner using facts, stats, and responses to other posts. If you disagree, I invite you to disagree with facts or alternative info to support your position. I made 5 points above. Which one(s) do you disagree with? And why?

Third, use your own description, but UTEP fans and posters on this board seem to be increasingly questioning your HC's "persona" and "style" in dealing with players, amplified during a week in which two players (starters?) have apparently walked - in the wrong direction. That's TOTALLY fair game, especially when you're looking for answers. At some point, people start to connect the dots, ask questions. My point above was/is that a head coach's personality and style becomes part of the public domain in the HS football community. At least in Texas...

Let's be honest, you cannot win if you cannot compete with your opponents in recruiting. I offered several possibilities above - actually a combination thereof - as a partial explanation for the lack of recruiting success thus far during the Kugler era. Perhaps you have alternative ideas?

If you're thin-skinned and your program can't stand scrutiny, you might be in the wrong business...

Last edited:
Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
Building depth takes time. We can't just snap our fingers and suddenly have a veteran QB.

Completely agree, good point. It also takes a plan and a strategic vision for the program. Year three, you're starting a RS freshman and playing a true freshman at QB. You also have a RS soph at QB with, uh, mixed results so far in his career. And a Price recruit who apparently is off of Kugler's Christmas card list. What's Plan B?

Last edited:
This is Kugler's 3rd year. How much time do you want?
We went to a bowl game in his second year. Until we develop depth, which takes time, there is going to be a boom and bust cycle.

I would like to see us return to a bowl game next season and for sure in year five, then I wouldn't be surprised to see another down year in year six.

From year five on, I would expect to make a bowl the majority of years but allow for the occasional down year. Two down years in a row is the hot seat and three is an unacceptable trend.

#4 is right on. I just don't understand why Kugler wants to run the type of offense he runs considering he coached at Boise which uses a high powered pass/run spread offense , and Pittsburgh runs a similar type offense. Boise and Pittsburgh both love to run the ball, but they also love to pass and take shots down the field. Like you said, Kuglers system isn't going to attract anyone. No decent QB or WR's want to come here.

@Wisconsin, almost 3,00 posts and that's all you got? See reply above to @vegas...
Well, think about it. You are obsessed with Kugler and you apparently admire Price and UTEP is not your school. Following a few schools is great but to the extent that you try to diss Kugler without having a real rooting interest is pretty odd.

Reactions: minerdear
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT