ADVERTISEMENT

Underdog Dynasty (rightfully) Rips UTEP Admins

Dec 22, 2016
Couldn't agree more with their assessments, most of those guys are clearly outsiders who homer love the hell out of their teams (particularly UTSA) but are actually on point with this in regards to our stuck in the mud football program under Sean Kugler.

I really like Sean, and he has done three really good things.

1) Built actual depth on the depth chart
2) Changed the academic culture
3) Gave us a football identity of being a physical team

From what I've seen at spring practices, 2-10, 3-9, 4-8, is going to happen again this year, hope I'm wrong, but just not feeling the direction of the passing game is going to put W's in the win column. It's windy, lets run it a million and one times in a scrimmage, and neglect a pass game which could use some work, plus his below average recruiting in two of his now five recruiting classes, that's not gonna work in FBS football in my opinion.

Thoughts?

http://www.underdogdynasty.com/2017...utsa-wilson-north-texas-rice-utep-uab-la-tech

Because of all the positives he's brought to the program I'd gladly give him another year. However, if they tank and the schedule is pretty tough, we may need to look at starting over.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
I just find this hilarious.... you want to give another year to someone who has a winning percentage of about 36% but someone who has hit almost 60% you want gone??

I just find this hilarious.... you want to give another year to someone who has a winning percentage of about 36% but someone who has hit almost 60% you want gone??
Hopefully this shuts up #TeamFloyd truthers.

Floyd has an over 60 percent winning percentage in the regular season so congrats on that fact...

But Kugler has not.......
  • Promised to win a national championship in his introductory press conference, and failed to even reach a gawd damn birth in the NCAA Tournament
  • Continually ran players off by over recruiting and immediately creating a transfer culture once hired by running a college basketball program like an NBA GM.
  • Publicly fight with a player over a drug test once he took the job (Myron Strong)
  • Ran off one of his best returning players after taking the job because the kid wanted to test the professional waters and fulfill his dreams.
  • Lose the first game of his tenure in front of a sold out crowd.
  • Publicly embarrass the UTEP brand by not getting over the fact he did not get the USC job back and lost Issac Hamilton (see LA Times report), so he picks a fight with an opposing coaching staff at a tournament in front of national media folks during an event.
  • Have numerous highly ranked players not qualify or show up to campus, then one of those players publicly bashed him on social media saying 'Floyd been a cheater' (Chris Sandifer)
  • Been so out of touch with his players behavior that a gambling incident involving two players whom have had documented issues and should have been monitored closely as both were two transfers with checkered pasts that he gambled on after striking out with the highly heralded Issac Hamilton class.
  • Allow his two of his best players who were clearly not NBA ready leave without hesitation in consecutive off seasons when he stakes the claim that he knows how to get guys to the next level (Hunter, and Lee Moore).
  • Lose guarantee games to UTSA (before they joined C-USA), FAU (in front of 10k, C-USA game), UNO, UMES, NAU, SELA, SFA (before they blew up) and @ Southern Miss (twice, once blowing a 20-point lead).
  • Been flat out owned by NMSU in head-to-head match ups, recruiting, banner raising, and national respect.
  • Try to bully a respected, and long time El Paso sportscaster who always stands up for UTEP by covering up his transfer problem with a tantrum.
  • Had three players suspended at the start of the 2015-16 season for failing drug tests (which was not reported in the media but I can confirm that)
  • Had his best player miss a class and get suspended after an academic problem the year before.
  • Failed to reach the conference championship game of the 23rd ranked conference in the country for six straight seasons, after promising to bring back the 80's.
  • Unable to build any sort of X's and O's identity, just see what shows up and put a product out there and hope they learn how to defend.

So yeah, Kugler's lone down fall is the guy can't develop a passing game in my eyes, you can't compare or justify the bull crap Floyd has pulled in seven years, you just can't.

I can speak on behalf of Team Fire Tim Floyd and say for some, its not about W's and L's or 20-win seasons, or post season appearances when it comes to our basketball program its a pile of steam du-du that piles up year after year with Floyd.

Continue to defend Floyd all you want, but the guy ain't getting done anytime soon, and now back to your regularly scheduled football thread....

Bigwood is a moderator! I'm glad someone stepped up to the plate. I have no qualms stating that I sucked at it a few years back.

We should have gone after Sonny Dykes this offseason. Wtf is an offensive analysts? TCU got a steal of a coach. The roller coaster ride of the basketball season had made me forget but now I'm mad again thinking about our football situation.

C'mon man, stop it, you're embarrassing yourself. You really are.

So yeah, Kugler's lone down fall is the guy can't develop a passing game...

No, that's not his lone down fall. Kugler's problem is that has not out up Ws against a consistently pathetic schedule. So he gets a fifth season. Good luck with that...

Watching the USMNT game right now all I can say is what a difference a coaching change makes.

Reactions: kickballpro
And seriously Floyd can coach his ass off and knows the game backwards and forewords but you would rather keep a coach that will ram his head into a brick wall over and over and over and never adjust??? We run every damn play and then wonder why we average 8 points a game...

Reactions: e-rick and MinerJo
And seriously Floyd can coach his ass off and knows the game backwards and forewords but you would rather keep a coach that will ram his head into a brick wall over and over and over and never adjust??? We run every damn play and then wonder why we average 8 points a game...

Uh, what? Apparently you have me misconfused as a Kugler fan.

I'm not saying your a kugler fan I am saying I don't understand how you can support someone where the defense knows what's coming next before the offense and a .360 win percentage vs someone that is almost at .600 even with all the crap that's gone on?

I know he is !! And still is winning at a 60 percent clip.... all he needs is one season for something not to happen and he more than likely will do pretty darn good and hopefully gain some momentum

Is it really part of a coaches job for his players to be passing? How is that a coaches job?

How can you say that with potentially seven or eight newcomers in a class that isn't even nationally recognized and a roster that is never set until the fall semester starts?

That is a good question. One that PURPLE can't answer with any honesty. His prognostications never waver from year to year. He is banking on getting it right ONE of these years. I hope he gets it right, too...and the sooner the better. Lol.

In all seriousness, CUSA has some (or had some) coaches that make me tell myself "it could be worse....way worse". If Deon Barrett makes great improvements this season in the weight room, confidence, dissecting opponents while at the point, UTEP may just surprise some people. Omega will need help from Deon immensely because Gilyard may possibly be "move in ready" (as they say in real estate), there is still a learning curve moving up to this caliber of college basketball.

The way I see it, there are a ton of Tony Benford's out there. Coaches who have some pedigree but once put in the lead role, fail once they take the reigns. But then again there are tons of Billy Gillispies or Mike Rhoades too who are relative no names but who's records speak for themselves and can put together a winning program in the middle of the Antarctic. But, we have Floyd and I want UTEP to succeed.

I think it's fair to say some fans wanted Floyd to come clean and take a more direct approach and show greater responsibility for the great underachieving but it did not happen and twenty years from now, it's not going to happen. There are no "alt-facts" and he is not giving "alt facts"; he is just not giving the whole breath and scope of what has transpired the last few years that UTEP fans can see clear as day. Winning solves everything, and Floyd will be here as UTEP fans give up by early October in football and get ready for basketball season. We have to have hope. UTEP basketball is our hope.

I know he is !! And still is winning at a 60 percent clip.... all he needs is one season for something not to happen and he more than likely will do pretty darn good and hopefully gain some momentum

That is what the Dallas Cowboys have been saying for years. Good luck with that.

How can you say that with potentially seven or eight newcomers in a class that isn't even nationally recognized and a roster that is never set until the fall semester starts?

I think next years team depends on Matt wilms coming back and two new players being able to step in..... do that and I think we can finish in the top 3..... next year look for western Kentucky to really rise if they keep their recruits

How can I say that??? We finished off the season extremely well actually giving mid tenn their only loss... owning a decent rice squad, giving la tech fits... we lost one person as of now what's not to like coming back next year?? I think this conference is getting better at the top wish the bottom would catch up to make us respectable...!

Reactions: e-rick

Floyd has an over 60 percent winning percentage in the regular season so congrats on that fact...

But Kugler has not.......
  • Promised to win a national championship in his introductory press conference, and failed to even reach a gawd damn birth in the NCAA Tournament
  • Continually ran players off by over recruiting and immediately creating a transfer culture once hired by running a college basketball program like an NBA GM.
  • Publicly fight with a player over a drug test once he took the job (Myron Strong)
  • Ran off one of his best returning players after taking the job because the kid wanted to test the professional waters and fulfill his dreams.
  • Lose the first game of his tenure in front of a sold out crowd.
  • Publicly embarrass the UTEP brand by not getting over the fact he did not get the USC job back and lost Issac Hamilton (see LA Times report), so he picks a fight with an opposing coaching staff at a tournament in front of national media folks during an event.
  • Have numerous highly ranked players not qualify or show up to campus, then one of those players publicly bashed him on social media saying 'Floyd been a cheater' (Chris Sandifer)
  • Been so out of touch with his players behavior that a gambling incident involving two players whom have had documented issues and should have been monitored closely as both were two transfers with checkered pasts that he gambled on after striking out with the highly heralded Issac Hamilton class.
  • Allow his two of his best players who were clearly not NBA ready leave without hesitation in consecutive off seasons when he stakes the claim that he knows how to get guys to the next level (Hunter, and Lee Moore).
  • Lose guarantee games to UTSA (before they joined C-USA), FAU (in front of 10k, C-USA game), UNO, UMES, NAU, SELA, SFA (before they blew up) and @ Southern Miss (twice, once blowing a 20-point lead).
  • Been flat out owned by NMSU in head-to-head match ups, recruiting, banner raising, and national respect.
  • Try to bully a respected, and long time El Paso sportscaster who always stands up for UTEP by covering up his transfer problem with a tantrum.
  • Had three players suspended at the start of the 2015-16 season for failing drug tests (which was not reported in the media but I can confirm that)
  • Had his best player miss a class and get suspended after an academic problem the year before.
  • Failed to reach the conference championship game of the 23rd ranked conference in the country for six straight seasons, after promising to bring back the 80's.
  • Unable to build any sort of X's and O's identity, just see what shows up and put a product out there and hope they learn how to defend.

So yeah, Kugler's lone down fall is the guy can't develop a passing game in my eyes, you can't compare or justify the bull crap Floyd has pulled in seven years, you just can't.

I can speak on behalf of Team Fire Tim Floyd and say for some, its not about W's and L's or 20-win seasons, or post season appearances when it comes to our basketball program its a pile of steam du-du that piles up year after year with Floyd.

Continue to defend Floyd all you want, but the guy ain't getting done anytime soon, and now back to your regularly scheduled football thread....

I've been on this message board for a longtime and this is by far the best post I have ever read. You're the man Roy Bigwood 05. Please pay no attention to that loser Purplefire. He's either slow, ignorant or Tim Floyd himself.

So just because I don't share your opinion I am slow or ignorant and a loser??? Wow!! Did you think of that all in one night?? Are you in 3rd grade? Don't ever remember calling anyone names on here ? Sorry I don't share your views ---- we shall see who is right in the end.....

Kuglar should have been fired. The program has gone backwards since he took over and recruited his own players and put in his own offense. He lied that he would leave if the program wasn't moving in the right direction after 4 years. He reminds me of another dumpster fire I had to deal with when KU had Charlie Weis. UTEP will spend years trying to rebuild ones Kuglar is gone. He has even messed up good recruiting grounds that the previous staff had set up. He's a lazy Coach in the off season who doesn't want to take his program to different Texas city and have camps and show what El Paso has to offer. Ain't no one any good with offers going to drive to El Paso for a camp without knowing something about the school and program first. At least Price was smart enough to know this and that's why he could recruit the entire state.

I think next years team depends on Matt wilms coming back and two new players being able to step in..... do that and I think we can finish in the top 3..... next year look for western Kentucky to really rise if they keep their recruits

How can I say that??? We finished off the season extremely well actually giving mid tenn their only loss... owning a decent rice squad, giving la tech fits... we lost one person as of now what's not to like coming back next year?? I think this conference is getting better at the top wish the bottom would catch up to make us respectable...!
I can respect your take and explanation, half agree on it, but I guess I just don't trust CTF like you do. Good stuff...

But then again there are tons of Billy Gillispies or Mike Rhoades too who are relative no names but who's records speak for themselves and can put together a winning program in the middle of the Antarctic.
The Antarctic, perhaps, but for Billy, Kentucky is a whole 'nother matter.

Yes, UTEP finished top 4 and had an amazing turnaround and Tim Floyd deserves credit for that. Now, if Tim Floyd is the legend that we all once thought he was, he needs to build upon this amazing foundation (not run them off), his "cavalry" needs to truly arrive, and we need to make a tourney that starts with the letter N. And if it's the three-letter variety, we'd better get the "automatic berth" by winning our regular season conference championship (winning the automatic berth in the other tournament is always a crapshoot in our pathetic, one-bid conference).

Kuglar should have been fired. The program has gone backwards since he took over and recruited his own players and put in his own offense. He lied that he would leave if the program wasn't moving in the right direction after 4 years.

Thanks for being honest, but don't waste your breath, nobody on this board wants to hear the truth. That's why football programs like Kansas and UTEP are structurally flawed, Kugler is just the latest iteration in El Paso. But "he's one of us" and "look at our ARP scores" gets him five years of ass kick. The tragedy is is just doesn't have to be that way.

And it was after 3 years, not 4...

Last edited:
Reactions: MineroFanatico
Both have to go if we don't win conference in both sports. l don't think there's any chance for either one. But we have some great track athletes.

Thanks for being honest, but don't waste your breath, nobody on this board wants to hear the truth. That's why football programs like Kansas and UTEP are structurally flawed, Kugler is just the latest iteration in El Paso. But "he's one of us" and "look at our AAP scores" gets him five years of ass kick. The tragedy is is just doesn't have to be that way.

And it was after 3 years, not 4...

I've taken a step further and have asked for Bob Stull's job for a while.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT