ADVERTISEMENT

UNLV game will be on TV

Time is till TBA, but the game will be in ATT SportsNet. DirecTV channel 674 in El Paso shows Astros games and most MWC games. Should be on the Northwest and Rocky Mountain channels too.
I saw the tweet from Mattsarz that shows this game as being one of the choices available to ATT SN but the choice has not been made yet. Hopefully it will since Dish and Direct TV both carry those channels. We should know for certain soon.

MWC announced today that the UTEP at UNLV game will be on AT&T Sportsnet at 6pm PT.

"The Mountain West TV slate is basically complete with the announcement of nine games being aired on AT&T SportsNet.
One bonus nugget for these games is that not only are they being aired on the Rocky Mountain channel of AT&T SportsNet these games will air on ROOT SPORTS and AT&T SportsNet Southwest with the caveat there could be some games delayed for the out of market contests.
Seven of the games are league matchups and the two non-conference games are UTEP at UNLV and Illinois State at Colorado State. The teams are split of evenly with three matchups featuring UNLV, Wyoming, Colorado State and New Mexico."

There was a whisper going around Camp Ruidoso (yet to be substantiated) that UTEP coaches thought Northern Arizona might be a better team than UNLV.

Anybody know the source?

2017 Stats and film?
Surely you have touched on the only explanation, Wood. Somebody must have seen some game tape, and started to look closely at certain elements that could cause problems for UTEP -- notably team speed.

One of the beauties of August is the annual speculation that fuels every campfire from El Paso to Tuscaloosa to Happy Valley and back to Eugene. This much is certain:

After that gag-a-maggot 0-12 finish last season, any UTEP player or fan who would take ANY opponent lightly must be totally deranged. Or maybe just high. {Quick, administer a blood test.}

Miners need to come out in that opener, probably as Las Vegas underdogs, play with commitment and poise -- and do Northern Arizona dirty.

This losing thang is not something I wear well. I hope the players don't either.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
Surely you have touched on the only explanation, Wood. Somebody must have seen some game tape, and started to look closely at certain elements that could cause problems for UTEP -- notably team speed.

One of the beauties of August is the annual speculation that fuels every campfire from El Paso to Tuscaloosa to Happy Valley and back to Eugene. This much is certain:

After that gag-a-maggot 0-12 finish last season, any UTEP player or fan who would take ANY opponent lightly must be totally deranged. Or maybe just high. {Quick, administer a blood test.}

Miners need to come out in that opener, probably as Las Vegas underdogs, play with commitment and poise -- and do Northern Arizona dirty.

This losing thang is not something I wear well. I hope the players don't either.
Heard NAU runs a complex air raid system that I'm excited to see how Mike Cox handles it and adjusts on the fly in week one. Will be a big test for a defense even though they are FCS.

Reactions: HeWore62
Heard NAU runs a complex air raid system that I'm excited to see how Mike Cox handles it and adjusts on the fly in week one. Will be a big test for a defense even though they are FCS.

So right about UTEP defense getting tested early. At Camp Ruidoso, I saw a D-line already down two big bodies from injuries (Simpson, Buckingham) forcing Coach Dana Dimel to admit "even at Kansas State, we could not have afforded that."

Immediate and obvious need: A pass rusher. (no news there) Just like every other program in the nation not named Alabama.

Linebackers might be okay, maybe even a tad bit better than average.

Apparent strong point: The secondary. An experienced back line offers plenty to like.

Kaylon Beverly, the senior DB from New Orleans, has a gritty back-story and a rangy, athletic body, which has led to moderate early interest from pro scouts. He's one of those guys who might not get drafted next spring, but if he winds up in the right camp as a free agent, scouts say he could stick.

Last edited:
There was a whisper going around Camp Ruidoso (yet to be substantiated) that UTEP coaches thought Northern Arizona might be a better team than UNLV.

Anybody know the source?
I hope it dies. UTEP can not afford to give anyone bulletin board material for the locker room.

NAU has a new and very young offensive coordinator. Played at ASU under Graham I think I read. What makes NAU potentially dangerous is they too have good qb's and one Washington Huskies transfer (but is not a starter). As stated above, UTEP's strength is the secondary and it looks like Trace will once again have to shore the D line I guess? Thank heavens Dimel has quality at the LB spots.

I expect NAU to run what UTEP saw last year in Arizona. Hopefully our offense gives the D some breathers. The D was stellar against Arizona but just tuckered out by mid third quarter from being on the field most of the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT