ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Basketball Recruiting

I realize he was young, but even as a true freshman I was totally unimpressed by Kalu. I thought he was habitually weak going up with the ball, especially for his size.

With that said, he had one really EXPLOSIVE dunk towards the end of the year. I hope we see that version of Big KK.
I agree with your assessment of the way Kalu played last season, but I personally try not to judge a player after their freshman year. If you would have told me after the 86-87 season that the tall, awkward skinny kid that couldn't shoot and averaged just 1.3 ppg and 1.8 rpg would have a long career in the NBA I would have told you that you were crazy, but Antonio Davis even made an All Star Game. I do think that there is raw talent in Kalu; whether it's ever brought out will be dependent on the staff's coaching ability and his work ethic.

One last note on Kalu: watching him warm up before the UTSA game I was impressed with his athleticism, as he threw down several rim rattling dunks. I remember writing in this forum how I wondered why we never saw evidence of that in the games. He finally showed that explosiveness once, at the end of the season. Hopefully we'll see more of it next year.

Last edited:
Well that sounds more honest, but I still don't like the thrown in excuses. I guarantee that if he could get a skilled big now that he would. It's obviously a chink in his armour
Agree. Also, the bigger issue in my opinion, which was not really addressed by Golding, is on the offensive end. Can either Onyema, Kalu, or Hamilton provide any kind of low post offensive presence? The closest thing would be Onyema, but he would need to develop alot from last year. Kalu showed even less in terms of any low post moves. Hamilton, by most accounts, is a purely developmental guy that will need to first get in D1 shape. Having little/zero inside presence will make it even harder to score points, and make it alot easier to defend this new team.

What about the rumors of moving Sibley to the perimeter on offense? Any details or sources?
It'd be interesting if he turned out to be a 3 point threat.
I think with this team this year he has to stay at the 4, unless Solomon can play above his pay grade. Sibley is our best rim defender and can still play stretch 4 on offense.

For upcoming years and next level, he is definitely a SF.

What about the rumors of moving Sibley to the perimeter on offense? Any details or sources?
He is actually a really good shooter! He had an elbow injury a few years back, that limited him a bit, but he has potential to be a great shooter especially as his confidence increases. He showed it a bit last year. You saw Kennedy and Biennamy develop from one year to the next, the same should happen with Sibley.

Yeah, it was a quote from Golding. At least according to the article. I posted the link about a month ago but couldn’t tell you which thread.

My source had this awhile back. Felix Chavez is rude and classless. Spoiling the kids announcement. For shame Felix, be better!

Reactions: groundrounds
Good vision, moves to the ball, quick release. This kid has Michael Ertel touch (UAB) all over him, but Milos is bigger.

Good vision, moves to the ball, quick release. This kid has Michael Ertel touch (UAB) all over him, but Milos is bigger.
And 4-5 years younger & less experienced
You would think Marshall might have offered him as they always seem to have 3-4 walk on white boys

Juco wing Justin Thomas from Navarro juco committed to Milwaukee
It looks like UTEP was interested a few months ago

Middling stats---
12.6 ppg

3PT % 31.5

5 REB pg

6-6 or 6-7 & 195 pounds

With 1 schollie left we get a very talented walkon. Makes me think Golding has the last recruit already in his pocket.
New recruiting formula:

-Scholarships are given to new transfers
-Walk on Scholarships given to High Schoolers.

Hmm good question.

Charles Barkley: Derrick Caracter
Lebron James : Julian Wahburm
Michael Jordan: Stefan Jackson
Actually

Washburn was Uteps version of Igoudala
Julia stone was Uteps version of Magic Johnson .
Randy Culpepper was Spud Webb/Nate Robinson
Vince Hunter was Shawn Marion
Derrick Character was Zach Randolph.

Milos is a stud. Big beefy kid who is quick, smart and plays with a Timbug attitude. He's cocky and can back it up. I love the way he puts his whole body into a pass and does a 360*.

Strange shot mechanics but seems to work for him. As for how good he is I'll reserve judgment. Don't want to crap on the kid. Would prefer to let him get here, put in the work, and shows us all just how good he is.

Not trolling Fili but that wouldn't work.

BTW, how many followers does he have? :p
He doesn't have many on Twitter. Like maybe a 100. I dont know what happened to him he was playing at the Adidas camp and played in good schools. But he was only able to get a walk on offer?? I think this is how the transfer portal is hurting players like Milos. Schools are using up their scholarships on transfers, which is hurting players like Milos.

If you’re walking on at UTEP, you “suck”.

Who was the last football or basketball walk on to contribute significantly at UTEP?

He doesn't have many on Twitter. Like maybe a 100. I dont know what happened to him he was playing at the Adidas camp and played in good schools. But he was only able to get a walk on offer?? I think this is how the transfer portal is hurting players like Milos. Schools are using up their scholarships on transfers, which is hurting players like Milos.
He had poor stats compared to scholarship guys
I saw some crafty passing and he can shoot it from outside
The odds of any walk on getting a scholarship and meaningful playing time is low
I am reminded of the scene from Dumb And Dumber

If you’re walking on at UTEP, you “suck”.

Who was the last football or basketball walk on to contribute significantly at UTEP?
Thomas Howard was a walk on at Utep. Current player Jadrain Taylor was a walk on at his juco college.

For Basketball I don't know of any walk ins contributing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT