ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Basketball Recruiting

He had poor stats compared to scholarship guys
I saw some crafty passing and he can shoot it from outside
The odds of any walk on getting a scholarship and meaningful playing time is low
I am reminded of the scene from Dumb And Dumber

He is probably a scholarship player if UTEP had other scholarships available. Why would a player come all the way to Texas from West Virginia to walk on??

He is probably a scholarship player if UTEP had other scholarships available. Why would a player come all the way to Texas from West Virginia to walk on??

Because they can either pay a fortune to play at a Private Liberal Arts D3 or they can pay less and walk on at a Public University and always be able to say they were a D1 athlete.

Not trolling Fili but that wouldn't work.

BTW, how many followers does he have? :p

You know what, but there is a framework of a possible idea there.

Just like MLS has allocated slots and supplemental slots.

NCAA can slot guys.

Just throwing out some random numbers but

5 High School Slots
6 Transfer Slots
2 Flex Slots for internationals and whatever

Thomas Howard was a walk on at Utep. Current player Jadrain Taylor was a walk on at his juco college.

For Basketball I don't know of any walk ins contributing.
A lot of times guys that walk on in college are interested in a career in coaching and its a good way to get your foot in the door

Because they can either pay a fortune to play at a Private Liberal Arts D3 or they can pay less and walk on at a Public University and always be able to say they were a D1 athlete.
There is also the possibility, where walk ons get some kind of NIL deal. So they dont have to pay for school.

He was probably told they think he is good enough to earn his way to a scholarship after paying his own way the first year and get some playing time

Reactions: groundrounds
None on this year’s team? Just have the Luka version via some walkon you saw on YouTube highlights?

He was probably told they think he is good enough to earn his way to a scholarship after paying his own way the first year and get some playing time
He could also be a good enough student for grants/scholarship money along with money from mom and dad.

Reactions: groundrounds
HOWDY BOYS!
I haven't been on board since December 27th when the love of my life suddenly passed. Completely unexpected and I have been in complete agony trying to adjust to life without her. I was the one with all the issues that hinted toward my end. She had none!
I've read Digs, watched the games I was able to watch and followed my Mavericks until their demise yesterday. Now I have no diversions with basketball gone for the year, so I'm trying to analyze what we likely have for next year and on the surface at least, it doesn't look like much. I'm usually the extreme optimist, but this time around; not so.

My son will be there to save the Utep program in 2031 haha …. Hes averaging 4.3 points per game and is the back up point guard for his aau team

Reactions: FeralFelidae
HOWDY BOYS!
I haven't been on board since December 27th when the love of my life suddenly passed. Completely unexpected and I have been in complete agony trying to adjust to life without her. I was the one with all the issues that hinted toward my end. She had none!
I've read Digs, watched the games I was able to watch and followed my Mavericks until their demise yesterday. Now I have no diversions with basketball gone for the year, so I'm trying to analyze what we likely have for next year and on the surface at least, it doesn't look like much. I'm usually the extreme optimist, but this time around; not so.

Sorry for your loss!!

Reactions: MinerManiac
HOWDY BOYS!
I am so sorry for your loss. We all bleed orange together and come together, no matter our differences.

I can’t believe what happened to the Mavericks. They have the right coach. The champ will be out of the east.

Can’t comment on what hasn’t been displayed in UTEP basketball. Prior to the end of February the world thought the Russian military was literally one of the best in the world but just bluster from Putin and over analysis by experts and total, total underestimating Ukraine fighting spirit. Summer ball playing together does wonders for team chemistry but can do bad if players discover they can’t stand each other. To early to say for me.

Reactions: kickballpro
Next year would be his 6th year and he scored more than 8 the 2 prior years- and his 3 point % was slightly higher those years too

He is from CA so its a bit surprising that he visited UTEP & GA Wash as I would think a half dozen schools out west would want him

San Diego removed his player page but you can see it via cached or whatever
He sat out 2017-2018 and only played 12 games 2020-2021 from 12-9 thru 3-4 so maybe an injury the first part of the year
13 ppg in those 12 games

I like this guy. Golding mentioned he was looking for a guy that would camp behind the 3 point line and knock them down.

What do you think Fili? Doesn't he remind you of Klay Thompson?

And nothing from the local sports anchors. Its obvious they're Utep haters. Maybe Colin and Nate should move to Las Cruces.

Looking at the Chipola JC website, I dont see where this kids stats add up. Am I missing something?

Looking at the Chipola JC website, I dont see where this kids stats add up. Am I missing something?
I believe the stats referenced above were from the 20-21 season. Lemus stats for 21-22 were not as good, which may be the ones you are looking at:

Again, at this point, there is a reason why this guy was available late. I did see FIU and Portland offered as well, so there's that. He looks like a streaky shooter, and a an average athlete. Maybe be can fill in a Saterfield type roll, on a team that can really use some shooters.

I believe the stats referenced above were from the 20-21 season. Lemus stats for 21-22 were not as good, which may be the ones you are looking at:

Again, at this point, there is a reason why this guy was available late. I did see FIU and Portland offered as well, so there's that. He looks like a streaky shooter, and a an average athlete. Maybe be can fill in a Saterfield type roll, on a team that can really use some shooters.
Jucorecruiting does a top 100 it looks like twice this year
Lemus was #38 on their first one and #90 on their 2nd

Dos Anjos from 45 to 47

WKU guy #11 to #23

Another WKU guy NR TO NR

MTSU guy 47 to 46
MTSU guy #2 91 to 78

I am pretty sure Hardy was top 50 or higher but I can't find a way to access prior years
Zachery was probably on the preseason list his 2nd year but went down with an injury after 4 games and then did not play at Buffalo because of the legal issue
Both guys are OLDER than most and plenty capable and the Ditto for McKinney who had great stats in Juco

I count 5 guys who can and have played point guard
Its a good problem to have

Reactions: unihorn
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT