ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Basketball Recruiting

It is not a take. I am sure they liked him off the court, but on the court there were issues just like there are on almost any team. Its the coaches job to manage and mitigate that and I think Godling did a good job. Go back and watch games early in the season before he got hurt and watch his reactions whenever Souley would miss a shot. Again, he tried being a hero and cost them a shot at the conference championship.
So its just your opinion that they didn't like him? If teammates dont like each other on the court they wont be friends off the court. You said key players didn't like him. I went to go see his latest posts, and boum,Sibley and Z all liked his posts.

And wasn't it KK that helped Boum get into Xavier?
I doubt Souley needed anyones help to get recruited. Many schools were after him. But anyway, let’s see what golding can do this year with a new team that may not have the individual talent Souley, Kennedy, or bienamy had, but might collectively turn out to be a better team.

As soon as one of the pg's start looking really good, he will be gone before next season so I don't see that kind of continuity happening.
The only guys I can see leaving are the new JC guys and/or Sumlin. Maybe one of our two returning bigs if we sign somebody like Tyson Brown. The core contributors should be here next season. Thankfully the indefinite transfer idea wasn't approved.

I doubt Souley needed anyones help to get recruited. Many schools were after him. But anyway, let’s see what golding can do this year with a new team that may not have the individual talent Souley, Kennedy, or bienamy had, but might collectively turn out to be a better team.
And if KK was such a bad teammate why would Golding wanted him back?

Reactions: kickballpro
We have no idea what the roster might look like year to year with the current free agency
Best to assume half the team leaves every year
Exactly. Take what we can get every year and hope Golding can rally them into a tourney team.

Reactions: wj34
Every team will be facing the same challenge. This will be a true test for all coaches. They will no longer have the prestige of their college name. Except for a handful of blue bloods.

If only half the team leaves, I call that a win.
Yep. Realistically, with 13 scholarship players, more than likely only 8 or 9 will play. So, the key is retaining as many of those guys as possible (not counting loses due to lack of eligibility). Some guys will decide to leave in search of playing time, and that's fine. The challenge happens when you lose your top 3 guys for example, like we did off last year's team. Obviously, this isn't unique to just UTEP.

Last edited:
There might be a new impediment to keep a team together from season to season. Seems the NBAPA will get their wish and lower the age for draft eligibility to 18. I know that since UTEP is not attracting NBA ready talent, that is not a problem for us. But, if the blue blood programs can't get the 5 star players to their programs, then 4 and 3 stars might be the new norm for elite college basketball. Thus we feel an even bigger crunch for the leftovers.

Reactions: axingfools1
There might be a new impediment to keep a team together from season to season. Seems the NBAPA will get their wish and lower the age for draft eligibility to 18. I know that since UTEP is not attracting NBA ready talent, that is not a problem for us. But, if the blue blood programs can't get the 5 star players to their programs, then 4 and 3 stars might be the new norm for elite college basketball. Thus we feel an even bigger crunch for the leftovers.
I think that would only be a handful of players, but still true.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Yep. Realistically, with 13 scholarship players, more than likely only 8 or 9 will play. So, the key is retaining as many of those guys as possible (not counting loses due to lack of eligibility). Some guys will decide to leave in search of playing time, and that's fine. The challenge happens when you lose your top 3 guys for example, like we did off last year's team. Obviously, this isn't unique to just UTEP.
UNT got a first year juco guy with questionable stats last year 6ppg and 58% from 3 (3 years left)
He only played 35 minutes in 10 games but he is back again this year

And another guy only played in 12 games- he is back too

So I think they let their guys know they might not make an immediate impact their first year

Whereas I am sure at lots of schools guys are signed telling them they will get plenty of minutes and then when reality hits they are quick to transfer the next year

So really you have to be careful on both ends---guys make too big of an impact and they might look to move to a higher level and guys that don't get much PT will look to go down a level

Now my question do you all think it will be harder to retain talent year to year if we are winning?

Now my question do you all think it will be harder to retain talent year to year if we are winning?
Unfortunately yes, if you are winning other coaches are going to come after your best players. Of course they will promise the moon, and as we have seen there’s not much NIL opportunity here.
If your losing players are going to want out.
Either way 3 or 4 year players are a thing of the past.

Reactions: PickMyAxe915
Unfortunately yes, if you are winning other coaches are going to come after your best players. Of course they will promise the moon, and as we have seen there’s not much NIL opportunity here.
If your losing players are going to want out.
Either way 3 or 4 year players are a thing of the past.
Yep, unfortunately. Maybe with enough success and enough booster money, we can retain some players.

Didn't they just get rid of transfer limits recently for all transfer portal players? They can transfer an unlimited amount of times? If so, we will probably not be able to hold on to anybody.

Yep, unfortunately. Maybe with enough success and enough booster money, we can retain some players.

Didn't they just get rid of transfer limits recently for all transfer portal players? They can transfer an unlimited amount of times? If so, we will probably not be able to hold on to anybody.
I don’t think they did … it’s still just a one time transfer

Reactions: PickMyAxe915
Don't mean to sound rude or anything but this is the *basketball* recruiting thread. How about asking about this in the football recruiting thread or just start a new general thread to discuss?
I'm just glad this is being created for basketball. We will get it for football soon enough, just need to show there will be enough donors for basketball first (we are a basketball first school).

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Don't mean to sound rude or anything but this is the *basketball* recruiting thread. How about asking about this in the football recruiting thread or just start a new general thread to discuss?
That is Rude.

Who put you in charge??🤔🤔🤔

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT