ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Basketball Recruiting

Has offers from ULM and Alaska-Anchorage (D2). Oh boy!
The team needs shooters- nothing wrong with looking under rocks
Every guy does not have to be a starter
If this guy can give 12-18 minutes a game and knock down 37%+ from three he would be valuable

There is near zero chance UTEP can get a better freshman shooter

He shot 42% from 3 last year

The team needs shooters- nothing wrong with looking under rocks
Every guy does not have to be a starter
If this guy can give 12-18 minutes a game and knock down 37%+ from three he would be valuable

There is near zero chance UTEP can get a better freshman shooter

He shot 42% from 3 last year
That’s fair, but his only offers are ULM and a D2 school in Alaska. I would bet he’s more of a fringe scholarship player than one that could play 18 minutes.

Yes, we want to see Golding bring in a higher caliber starter or two to the team. But it is also good if he brings in a higher caliber player coming off the bench. The team is having a down season, but it isn't lack of effort. They are keeping up the effort on the court. We just need some better players. I'm still hoping Golding will turn things around in coming seasons. This is only year two. If we get to this point in year four without noticeable improvement, then I'll start complaining. Even though this season's quality isn't as good, the players still play like they have bought into Golding's coaching style. Should I compare UTEP to NMSU right now? At least our coaches are keeping the team on script. Go Miners

Who was that kid from Chihuahua who would come into the game and knock down 2 or 3 three's then go back out for a while? I think it was Miguel Ayala. Straight up gunslinger.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
This is only year two. If we get to this point in year four without noticeable improvement, then I'll start complaining... Should I compare UTEP to NMSU right now? At least our coaches are keeping the team on script. Go Miners

I agree that this year alone shouldn't define Golding, but end of year 4 is far too late to be getting concerned if he hasn't gotten it done. Next year minimum should be a winning season and a core that can win intact for the following season.

Also, we don't credit for not having a hazing scandal and not getting our season suspended. That's like patting someone on the back for not being a rapist.

Last edited:
The lack of a scandal at UTEP is just a matter of perspective, not goal setting. That would be terrible. And season three as a sign of positive change sounds about right.

Cameron Faas picked up an offer from Kansas City and
Mar 1, 2023
minnesota-state.png
Minnesota State
Mar 1, 2023
concordia-irvine.png
Concordia Irvine
Mar 1, 2023
barry.png
Barry
Again he is shooting 52% from 3 this year and it was 42% last year

Golding really needs to keep the top 5-6 guys on our front line, Hardy and put most of his eggs in the NIL PG/shooting basket. 2 players that can make a difference now and a young center.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Might be decent later on, but why would we need this kid now?? Is Golding afraid to go after good players that can contribute now?
If he's completely rebuilding the roster again, why not? This is going better than last year so far (golding needs to close tho).

I can't imagine that he wants to completely rebuild in year 3. I think he's got 4 spots to upgrade. He's got to make the most of those.
Yep. I agree. He needs to hang on to the 4/5 guys that have been mentioned. The guy to keep an eye on is Onyema, who still has the first year transfer waiver available. You just never know in the NIL era with the money being thrown around. If Golding has to rebuild like last year (10/11 new guys), that doesn't bode well for his chances for success. He mentioned over and over again during the year that the teams doing well in CUSA were the ones that were able to hold onto most of their good players. It is his turn to do that at UTEP, and quite frankly, I don't see any on the roster that have a great chance to move up and get that NIL $$$ (other than Onyema).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT