ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Basketball Schedule

I think there’s a big difference in promoting and adding your own spin on things. Calling the non-conference slate “good” and all are “quality opponents” is adding his own cheerleader spin.

Chicago St is a bottom feeder. They are not quality. Multiple D2 teams aren’t that either. Are Seattle and ACU quality? Maybe? However, CUSA and the WAC have a scheduling agreement, so what kind of input did UTEP have on those opponents?

Everyone plays in a MTE, luckily they’re playing Cal and will end up playing Tulane or Bradley in the other game. They also got Austin Peay from that tournament. Is anyone excited to go see APU?
Like I said, I'm good with disagreeing with his opinion, and supporting that disagreement with facts. But calling him a "moron" is, in my opinion, going too far.

If he's in high school he's likely less than 18. Sorry, I thought adulthood started at 18. So yeah, a high schooler is a kid.

Nope, a kid is 12 and under. When you're in high school you should be expected to think and act as a young adult. Unfortunately, like you, people think high schoolers should be coddled.

Like I said, I'm good with disagreeing with his opinion, and supporting that disagreement with facts. But calling him a "moron" is, in my opinion, going too far.

Nope, not going too far. He is a moron if he thinks teams with RPI's in the 300's are "quality teams". If he wants to work in sports, then he better get used to it. You can't post stupid things on Twitter, without expecting negative comments.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
If he's in high school he's likely less than 18. Sorry, I thought adulthood started at 18. So yeah, a high schooler is a kid.

"Youth Guidance’s Becoming A Man® program (BAM®) is a school-based group counseling program that guides young men in 7-12th grades to learn, internalize and practice social cognitive skills, make responsible decisions for their future and become positive members of their school and community. BAM integrates clinical theory and practice, men’s rites of passage work, and a dynamic approach to youth engagement."

If you are 18 or younger, live with your parents, you are a kid. But that doesn't mean they are coddled either. Stick your neck out there on The X, you better be prepared to catch the wrath....

Btw maniac, my comment about followers was really directed at fili. The KID is trying to get on the social media success train, but he is moronic in his blind faith (or comments). Kinda like he's Senters son.

If you are 18 or younger, live with your parents, you are a kid. But that doesn't mean they are coddled either. Stick your neck out there on The X, you better be prepared to catch the wrath....

Btw maniac, my comment about followers was really directed at fili. The KID is trying to get on the social media success train, but he is moronic in his blind faith (or comments). Kinda like he's Senters son.

So you are a kid at 17 years and 364 days old, but you are an adult on your 18th birthday? Where do you transition to become an adult? Oh that's right! In high school when you are a young adult.

I do agree with your other comments.

Matt (No. 2 prospect in 2023, per 247Sports) and Ryan (No. 16) had both attracted interest from high-profile Power Five college basketball programs, including Alabama, Florida, Florida State and Miami

Strange that they picked Chicago State over those other schools.

McMurry is Division 3, which doesn’t offer athletic scholarships.
University of Science and Art of Oklahoma is NAIA
WNMU is D2
Who cares those are basically like preseason or warm up games. I'd understand if they didn't have other quality D-1 games, but they do. As I count 13 non conference games will be against D-1 teams and 2 against Major's. You can just take those D3 games out as practice, who cares. The other 12 are what you should be more concentrating on. Chicago St. is a crappy D1 team, but still a good mix for UTEP and not bad for a pre season slate. Grade of game and level of team we're playing as it applies to Utep. Over all C

D-1 only
Austin Peay D-
USCB C+
Cal B
Oregon A
Norfolk St. D
Tulane/Bradley C+
Texas A&M CC C
Wyoming/S. Dakota St. C
Seattle C
Chicago St. F
LMU C
Abilene Christian D

Matt (No. 2 prospect in 2023, per 247Sports) and Ryan (No. 16) had both attracted interest from high-profile Power Five college basketball programs, including Alabama, Florida, Florida State and Miami
They played with Overtime Elite, which is a “professional” team. I am not sure how they will be eligible or what. All those offers were from before they signed with Overtime Elite

Chicago St’s head coach, coached them when they were younger. That’s the only reason they’re there.

Who cares those are basically like preseason or warm up games. I'd understand if they didn't have other quality D-1 games, but they do. As I count 13 non conference games will be against D-1 teams and 2 against Major's. You can just take those D3 games out as practice, who cares. The other 12 are what you should be more concentrating on. Chicago St. is a crappy D1 team, but still a good mix for UTEP and not bad for a pre season slate. Grade of game and level of team we're playing as it applies to Utep. Over all C

D-1 only
Austin Peay D-
USCB C+
Cal B
Oregon A
Norfolk St. D
Tulane/Bradley C+
Texas A&M CC C
Wyoming/S. Dakota St. C
Seattle C
Chicago St. F
LMU C
Abilene Christian D
People that buy season tickets should care. Those are ripoffs. This board has been over this many times. Instead of UTEP challenging themselves, they decide to play D3 teams at home instead.

They played with Overtime Elite, which is a “professional” team. I am not sure how they will be eligible or what. All those offers were from before they signed with Overtime Elite

Chicago St’s head coach, coached them when they were younger. That’s the only reason they’re there.

In the fall of 2022, OTE began offering athletes a scholarship option – instead of a salary – which provides unparalleled development and educational opportunities at OTE while preserving college eligibility.

In the fall of 2022, OTE began offering athletes a scholarship option – instead of a salary – which provides unparalleled development and educational opportunities at OTE while preserving college eligibility.
They got there in 2021 though!

People that buy season tickets should care. Those are ripoffs. This board has been over this many times. Instead of UTEP challenging themselves, they decide to play D3 teams at home instead.
I get ya, those games should be free for season ticket holders

They got there in 2021 though!
So call up the NCAA. I'm sure nobody has thought to check if they are eligible.
I'm sure Chicago State didn't check before they announced it.
They are on their roster.

Announcement by Chicago State

Last edited:
So call up the NCAA. I'm sure nobody has thought to check if they are eligible.
I'm sure Chicago State didn't check before they announced it.
They are on their roster.

Announcement by Chicago State

Lots of guys have been on rosters that never played. Chicago St is the worst D1 program in the country. They’re the only basketball independent. Like 10% chance they play against the Miners.

According to @utepzay, Chicago State (307 RPI) is a quality opponent. I am not sure how the heck this moron got a job working in sports, but it's safe to say his daddy has connections.
I respect the hustle this kid has to cover multiple sports, did it for almost a decade and it’s not easy at all and I give him that respect he deserves. But his judgment and observations towards UTEP hold no creditably with me everything is “solid” “stacked” and everything is rosy and great, no objectivity. His UTEP twitter takes are what he hopes to happen, not factual in actuality. He totally lost me when he proclaimed UTEP softball was stacked and was going to turn it around last year lol and the UTEP football 2023 entire offense was stacked with plenty of WR depth this past summer.

Not trying to take too many shots at a teenager who is just living a dream in this new digital world and would never call him names like you did (be better EPUTEP if i was his kin big bro or daddy I’d whoop your ass for that comment) and def nothing personal but he def needs to chill out on writing those big checks he does on twitter if he wants his creditability to last or restore with people like us on here.

I respect the hustle this kid has to cover multiple sports, did it for almost a decade and it’s not easy at all and I give him that respect he deserves. But his judgment and observations towards UTEP hold no creditably with me everything is “solid” “stacked” and everything is rosy and great, no objectivity. His UTEP twitter takes are what he hopes to happen, not factual in actuality. He totally lost me when he proclaimed UTEP softball was stacked and was going to turn it around last year lol and the UTEP football 2023 entire offense was stacked with plenty of WR depth this past summer.

Not trying to take too many shots at a teenager who is just living a dream in this new digital world and would never call him names like you did (be better EPUTEP if i was his kin big bro or daddy I’d whoop your ass for that comment) and def nothing personal but he def needs to chill out on writing those big checks he does on twitter if he wants his creditability to last or restore with people like us on here.
He lost me when he tried to be positive with Hardison. Anyone who talks positively about Hardison loses points in my book. You either drink the Kool aid or don't have the eye for football if you think he's any good. One of if not THE worst starter in FBS.

Reactions: EPUTEP
Not trying to take too many shots at a teenager who is just living a dream in this new digital world and would never call him names like you did (be better EPUTEP if i was his kin big bro or daddy I’d whoop your ass for that comment)

I am not taking any "shots" at him. Anybody that states "UTEP basketball quietly put together a good non-conference slate. People may not be familiar with the teams, but they’re all quality opponents. Tough to do that nowadays" is a moron.

If you chose to act like a thug, then that's on you.

Reactions: T-6 Miner
Tired of the inflated win record due to non d1 games. Grow some balls and hit the road instead. No point in turning on the lights and all our space heaters at the Don.
I do agree that non D1 games shouldn't even be counted by schools. I know they're not counted in the RPI, but I never understood why they even go towards the record when it's just a warm up.

D-1 only
Austin Peay D-
USCB C+
Cal B
Oregon A
Norfolk St. D
Tulane/Bradley C+
Texas A&M CC C
Wyoming/S. Dakota St. C
Seattle C
Chicago St. F
LMU C
Abilene Christian D
USCB is an A. Good team and good program. Ahead of the curve compared to UTEP.

WCC is now many notches above CUSA, IMO.

LMU a B but open to debate I guess.

Texas A & M-CC a C? Wow, Easy B+ to A. Good team.

Reactions: nattybry
Now I understand why Golding said it’s tough to make a schedule. You have to perform an extensive search to find schools like University of Science and arts of Oklahoma.

@utepzay wasn't wrong about the bolded part!!!

"UTEP basketball quietly put together a good non-conference slate. People may not be familiar with the teams, but they’re all quality opponents. Tough to do that nowadays."

USCB is an A. Good team and good program. Ahead of the curve compared to UTEP.

WCC is now many notches above CUSA, IMO.

LMU a B but open to debate I guess.

Texas A & M-CC a C? Wow, Easy B+ to A. Good team.
Clueless people like this guy are why UTEP is where it’s at. Always patting UTEP on the back for minimal effort. The Southland Conference was next to last in Sagarin ratings last year and TAMUCC is a 16th seed when they make the NCAAs. Here we have a fan trying to tell us that is an “easy B+ to A” game.

UCSB is a really solid series, but when that is the highlight of your home schedule, well, shows you how far this thing has fallen.

The WCC outside of Gonzaga and St Marys is definitely not “many notches above CUSA” either. The WCC is only a better league because of those two schools. Once Gonzaga is cherry picked, it will be on the same level as CUSA, if not worse.

Reactions: T-6 Miner
LMAO. None of this years non-conference opponents are even close to being an A category. It’s just the same old one or two C- opponents, a few D’s then a few F’s to try and make that 20 win season possible.
An A level opponent is a big name P5 ( or Gonzaga from G5) school like UNC not UCSB.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT