ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Basketball Schedule

Quality opponent.
People on here are literally missing the mark. Stop pointing to these games then saying it's a trash non conference schedule. These are just glorified exhibition games. Be more concerned about the other 12 D-1 opponents then grade those as I did. Stop harping on these small school, no names that won't even technically count at the end of the season anyways. If UTEP was playing Cathedral and Armijo Recs Finest for warm up, but had Duke, Kansas and Texas on the schedule, some of y'all would still stay fixated on Cathedral and Armijos Finest SMH 😏

These are just glorified exhibition games. Be more concerned about the other 12 D-1 opponents then grade those as I did. Stop harping on these small school, no names that won't even technically count at the end of the season anyways.
They are not exhibition games though. They count as official games, which will be included every time UTEP and Bronzeing’s record is displayed. They will not count in the NCAAs NET ranking - which will likely be irrelevant for UTEP anyway.

If you collect Hot Wheels and I am selling 15 of them, we agree to a deal and then I show up with 3 broken ones? How happy would you be? What if someone agrees to pay you $15k and then they give you $12k and 3k in Krispy Kreme gift cards?

I am okay with 1 D2 game. McMurry is D3 and USAO is NAIA. They are inferior opponents. UTEP is ripping off their loyal season ticket holders, which are basically the only ones they have left!

Those games won’t prepare them to play at Oregon or for the CUSA tournament. UTEP would be better off playing road games against any P5 or mid major willing to play them.

They are not exhibition games though. They count as official games, which will be included every time UTEP and Bronzeing’s record is displayed. They will not count in the NCAAs NET ranking - which will likely be irrelevant for UTEP anyway.

If you collect Hot Wheels and I am selling 15 of them, we agree to a deal and then I show up with 3 broken ones? How happy would you be? What if someone agrees to pay you $15k and then they give you $12k and 3k in Krispy Kreme gift cards?

I am okay with 1 D2 game. McMurry is D3 and USAO is NAIA. They are inferior opponents. UTEP is ripping off their loyal season ticket holders, which are basically the only ones they have left!

Those games won’t prepare them to play at Oregon or for the CUSA tournament. UTEP would be better off playing road games against any P5 or mid major willing to play them.
I made a comment that yes, those games shouldn't absolutely not be charged to Season Ticket holders and should be free for season ticket holders and like $5 for everyone else. I mean they don't count in the Big Scheme of things, cause they won't help or hurt necessarily at the end of the season. While I agree there should not be more than 2 of these games vs Middle Schoolers, I'm more concerned with the other 12, I guess since I won't locally be attending the games.

I made a comment that yes, those games shouldn't absolutely not be charged to Season Ticket holders and should be free for season ticket holders and like $5 for everyone else. I mean they don't count in the Big Scheme of things, cause they won't help or hurt necessarily at the end of the season. While I agree there should not be more than 2 of these games vs Middle Schoolers, I'm more concerned with the other 12, I guess since I won't locally be attending the games.
There’s only a handful of games that actually matter. UCSB, Vs Cal, lose that game and the 2nd game becomes irrelevant. The winner of Tulane/Bradley. At LMU. At Oregon, and the DHC championship if Wyoming or SDSU is having a decent season.

People on here are literally missing the mark. Stop pointing to these games then saying it's a trash non conference schedule. These are just glorified exhibition games. Be more concerned about the other 12 D-1 opponents then grade those as I did. Stop harping on these small school, no names that won't even technically count at the end of the season anyways. If UTEP was playing Cathedral and Armijo Recs Finest for warm up, but had Duke, Kansas and Texas on the schedule, some of y'all would still stay fixated on Cathedral and Armijos Finest SMH 😏
80% of the schedule is trash. How’s that?

There are posters on here that still get wet about a 20 win season that includes wins against these patsies.

80% of the schedule is trash. How’s that?

There are posters on here that still get wet about a 20 win season that includes wins against these patsies.
Again for clarification: I understand season ticket holders gripe on the Middle School Level games again the no name D3 schools. My point is that those games don't really count at least as far as I'm concerned or NET rating. I prefer to concentrate on the other 12 and it's a decent mix that I gave an over all C rating.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
Again for clarification: I understand season ticket holders gripe on the Middle School Level games again the no name D3 schools. My point is that those games don't really count at least as far as I'm concerned or NET rating. I prefer to concentrate on the other 12 and it's a decent mix that I gave an over all C rating.
Imagine if those 3 non d1 games were instead on the road and would count towards the NET at teams that more often than not are in the NCAAT conversation. Our overall grade could go from C to A. But I understand the fan base is complacent with this 50/50 mentality. And being average is good.

What UTEP Thinks:

No Major Program wants to come to El Paso and play in front of a sell out and lose to UTEP.

What Major Programs Think:

We don’t want to Travel to an empty arena and play an irrelevant opponent that’s going to diminish our computer numbers

Imagine if those 3 non d1 games were instead on the road and would count towards the NET at teams that more often than not are in the NCAAT conversation. Our overall grade could go from C to A. But I understand the fan base is complacent with this 50/50 mentality. And being average is good.
20 wins baby! 3 vs Non D1 and 8 wins versus the bottom of CUSA!

What UTEP Thinks:

No Major Program wants to come to El Paso and play in front of a sell out and lose to UTEP.

What Major Programs Think:

We don’t want to Travel to an empty arena and play an irrelevant opponent that’s going to diminish our computer numbers
Well that was the thinking 10 years ago, now it’s totally different. However, big schools don’t want to come here because that is less inventory for their tv networks. I’m pretty sure could could sign 2 for 1s and get an Arizona St here for 1 game, but UTEP would rather play USAO instead.

Power teams play so many conference games, that they can get an at-large bid being barely above .500. A game versus UTEP won’t hurt their chances, even if it’s a loss. WVU made the tournament last year with a 19-14 record, went 7-11 in the Big 12, good enough for 8th place.

Reactions: develman
Haskins used to load up on cupcakes in between big name teams. He would even schedule Canadian teams. It helps to play smaller schools before you get into the meat and potatoes of the season.
Haskins hasn’t coached in almost 25 years. The WAC was a respectable league back then too. THEN you could make the argument that Power schools didn’t want to play UTEP. A lot has changed.

Haskins used to load up on cupcakes in between big name teams. He would even schedule Canadian teams. It helps to play smaller schools before you get into the meat and potatoes of the season.
Besides playing in a better conference back then, as Nowins pointed out, another key difference is that even with the cupcakes, we played more big name teams out of conference back then, and won more than our fair share of those games. For the last forever we've kept the cupcakes, jettisoned most of the big name teams, and lost to most of the good teams we did play.

Using NET rankings from last season. Our best home game is against #142 Seattle. We have a bunch of home games from teams in the range of 162-183. Then two teams above 300.

Nothing really stands out from it.

On the road we play our toughest game at #45 Oregon. I’m glad we play Mc Flurry at home to start the season. That’s gonna prepare us for those tough west coast games. California only won three games last season and finished ranked above 300. LMU is a solid almost top 100 team on the road. Need more of those games.

Still think those non 3 d1 homes games would be better served playing teams in the 150s and below on the road.

Besides playing in a better conference back then, as Nowins pointed out, another key difference is that even with the cupcakes, we played more big name teams out of conference back then, and won more than our fair share of those games. For the last forever we've kept the cupcakes, jettisoned most of the big name teams, and lost to most of the good teams we did play.
We still play the same amount of Power 6 teams away from home as we used to. Last season we had Texas and DePaul. This season we have Berkeley and Oregon.

We just can't attract any of them to play us at home anymore. Ever. We used to be able to attract one or two to the Sun Carnival tourney, but P6 teams don't want to participate anymore in part because it's one of the few "non-exempt" tourneys remaining.

For awhile we were able to schedule some of these teams in 2-for-1 deals, but even that doesn't work anymore.

We still play the same amount of Power 6 teams away from home as we used to. Last season we had Texas and DePaul. This season we have Berkeley and Oregon.

We just can't attract any of them to play us at home anymore. Ever. We used to be able to attract one or two to the Sun Carnival tourney, but P6 teams don't want to participate anymore in part because it's one of the few "non-exempt" tourneys remaining.

For awhile we were able to schedule some of these teams in 2-for-1 deals, but even that doesn't work anymore.
Texas and DePaul were scheduled. “Berkeley” is part of a tournament with 2 other non power teams. They probably think UTEP is the weakest of the 3 and gave Cal us. UTEP did not schedule Cal on purpose like they did Texas and DePaul.

As I expected, UTEP was unable or unwilling to replace their 2 games with NMSU. NMSU joining CUSA is a big loss for UTEP’s non conference schedule.

What needs to be done to make the tournament non-exempt?
It's just another word for collusion and or hypocrisy, it's a way for big conference teams to play other big conference or strong teams on neutral sites and get a few extra games.

It's just a group of teams from different conferences that all decide to play each other within 14 days and call it an exempt tournament so they can get a few extra games. Teams that play in exempt events can play in up to 31 total regular season games plus their conference tournament.

“Sellout games:”

For the men, that will be Nov. 13 against Cal-Santa Barbara, while for the women it will be Nov. 30 against Colorado State.

Both Adams and Golding said promotions for those dates will be announced soon, but what was announced Thursday was that premium men's tickets for the Santa Barbara game will be 50% off — $22.50 and $19 — while all women's tickets for the Colorado State game will be $5.

How about the Miners consistently winning more than 20 games a season? Maybe even going over 25 wins now and again. That's no guarantee the big-time teams will play us, but it'll show that they are ducking us. And it won't be the worst thing if we have a tough ooc road schedule. Just improve the quality of play.

That's no guarantee the big-time teams will play us, but it'll show that they are ducking us.
Nobody is ducking UTEP. Teams don’t play UTEP because it’s not to their advantage to do so. Financially or competitively. That is not ducking.

Gonzaga plays USC, Washington, UConn, and San Diego St this year.

FAU has games against Illinois and Arizona.

Arizona has games against Duke, Michigan St, Wisconsin, Purdue, and Alabama too.

What about the other schools that have overtaken UTEP MBB in the last 20 years, Houston, TCU, TX Tech, Baylor, TAMU.
Scheduling games against them is kind of tricky. Schools like Rice, UNT, Arlington, SMU, Texas St run this risk of having more UTEP fans at their games than their own fans.

TCU and Houston could also run that risk if they don’t have good teams.

When was the last time we even played Baylor or A&M? UTEP should play at Texas Tech at least once every 5 years.

Nobody is ducking UTEP. Teams don’t play UTEP because it’s not to their advantage to do so. Financially or competitively. That is not ducking.

Arizona has games against Duke, Michigan St, Wisconsin, Purdue, and Alabama too.
Right, but Texas has some shitty home games too. No reason little brother can’t be one of them.

Scheduling games against them is kind of tricky. Schools like Rice, UNT, Arlington, SMU, Texas St run this risk of having more UTEP fans at their games than their own fans.

TCU and Houston could also run that risk if they don’t have good teams.

When was the last time we even played Baylor or A&M? UTEP should play at Texas Tech at least once every 5 years.
I had always hoped we could be good enough to sustain a southwest connection. 2 games with MWC, PAC 12 and Big 12 would have been nice. We've had a good back and forth with Tech. I agree that should continue.

SDSU plays a tough schedule as well. At BYU, St. Mary's in Vegas with winner playing Washington/Xavier winner. Cal, At Grand Canyon, Stanford at UCSD (Still on the road) and at Gonzaga (Which you mentioned). Their easiest games are Long Beach State, UC Irvine and Cal State Fullerton.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
I miss Marathon Oil in the schedule
Actually Marathon Oil was only ever scheduled as a exhibition game, which can't be done anymore. In 2004 the NCAA ruled that you couldn't schedule non-collegiate teams for exhibitions. This killed teams like Marathon Oil and the Harlem Globetrotters competitive team (as opposed to the team that does all of the tricks and always plays the same patsy). The timing of the decision makes UTEP the last team to beat the Globetrotters, when Billy G's team beat them in 2003. And to be fair to Marathon Oil, some of those teams were pretty decent. I remember looking over the roster before a game one year and recognizing several former NCAA Div 1 basketball players.

Cardinal Stritch
Now this is a good example of a typical cupcake that Haskins would schedule.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT