ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Basketball Ticket Prices

Or maybe no one comes for him anytime soon. Look at all the success McCasland has had and there hasn't been any takers yet.
Agree. Plus, as much as I like the job he as done so far, CJG still needs to show he can build and win with a team he has recruited to UTEP. Also, there is now the challenge with being in much different version of CUSA than the one he was hired into as well. I think he can get it done and the program is moving in the right direction, but it is way too early in the process to fully evaluate his hire.

Agree. Plus, as much as I like the job he as done so far, CJG still needs to show he can build and win with a team he has recruited to UTEP. Also, there is now the challenge with being in much different version of CUSA than the one he was hired into as well. I think he can get it done and the program is moving in the right direction, but it is way too early in the process to fully evaluate his hire.
We're all assuming that by year 3 we'll be back in the tournament. In reality next year is his year to make a move. We don't know how the team will look without JB and Boum. It seems that in our current conference making the tournament isn't enough to attract P5 offers. It only gets worse after 2023. Sure the numbers say the conference will look better but the perception won't be.

We're all assuming that by year 3 we'll be back in the tournament. In reality next year is his year to make a move. We don't know how the team will look without JB and Boum. It seems that in our current conference making the tournament isn't enough to attract P5 offers. It only gets worse after 2023. Sure the numbers say the conference will look better but the perception won't be.
Yes. Next year looks the one to make the move, but we are of course assuming both JB and Boum will return; they both graduate in May. I don't get the feeling like with BW that they are looking to leave, but you never know. If we can make the tourney next year, I guess it wouldn't be so bad if CJG pulled a CBCG. It's been way too long since we have even been in that conversation.

Last edited:
Yes. Next year looks like next year is the one to make the move, but we are of course assuming both JB and Boum will return; they both graduate in May. I don't get the feeling like with BW that they are looking to leave, but you never know. If we can make the tourney next year, I guess it wouldn't be so bad if CJG pulled a CBCG. It's been way too long since we have even been in that conversation.
Imo he has to finish the tournament with a winning record to get any serious consideration. A few CUSA coaches have won a game in the tournament and it hasn't led to job offers. At that point I wouldn't be mad either if he took a better opportunity.

Imo he has to finish the tournament with a winning record to get any serious consideration. A few CUSA coaches have won a game in the tournament and it hasn't led to job offers. At that point I wouldn't be mad either if he took a better opportunity.
High bar there eh? All he has to do is win a game in the garbage C-USA tournament and then you won’t be mad

High bar there eh? All he has to do is win a game in the garbage C-USA tournament and then you won’t be mad
I'm not the one that sets the bar. Like I said, times have changed and making the NCAA Tournament and or winning a game in it hasn't been enough for a couple of CUSA coaches to land a bigger job.

Reactions: Cube Jack
Gillispie, Barbee, Sadler... zero combined NCAA wins at UTEP but all landed bigger conference jobs
20 years ago was a different time. Different conference, different level of play IMO. We weren't too far removed from history as well.

As for Barbee we could all see what he was building and being from that pedigree it was a good move at the time.

Only time will tell with Golding. The circumstances have to be right for him to move. Nowadays I would think that he would need to recruit at a higher level and compete for conference titles/NCAA wins for at least a couple of years.

Last edited:
Gillispie, Barbee, Sadler... zero combined NCAA wins at UTEP but all landed bigger conference jobs
It took Davis 2 NCAA tournaments and 2 wins before getting a P5 job. D'Antoni has a tournament with a win and is still at Marshall. Jones has a tournament and is still at ODU. McCasland has a tournament and a win and is still at UNT. Jans has two tournaments and couldn't even get the UTEP job...

It seems that the bar has been raised to get a P5 job from the lower basketball leagues.

20 years ago was a different time. Different conference, different level of play IMO. We weren't too far removed from history as well.

As for Barbee we could all see what he was building and being from that pedigree it was a good move at the time.

Only time will tell with Golding. The circumstances have to be right for him to move. Nowadays I would think that he would need to recruit at a higher level and compete for conference titles/NCAA wins for at least a couple of years.
Plus we just gave him a monster raise.

Not trolling ax, but that is not true at all. The fans on here, and UTEP fans, were not not buying Barbee's "Coach Cal" style of ball at all. They hated it, biatched about it and wondered if Barbee was the right coach for UTEP? It got ugly at times. Barbee kept hearing "Haskins this....Haskins that..." and his feeling slipped for a brief second to the local media as he expressed his displeasure of the constant Haskins talk and how his style was different but he meant no disrespect. Fans on here were making Cal/Barbee meme's of them sharing ice cream together. Fans were pulling their hair out over Culpepper's style of play and how out of control he was.

Christmas 2009 came and Caracter became eligible against OU. He. Ate. Them. Up. UTEP beat a solid UAB squad at home, won the crown and all was forgotten and forgiven, so to speak.

Not trolling ax, but that is not true at all. The fans on here, and UTEP fans, were not not buying Barbee's "Coach Cal" style of ball at all. They hated it, biatched about it and wondered if Barbee was the right coach for UTEP? It got ugly at times. Barbee kept hearing "Haskins this....Haskins that..." and his feeling slipped for a brief second to the local media as he expressed his displeasure of the constant Haskins talk and how his style was different but he meant no disrespect. Fans on here were making Cal/Barbee meme's of them sharing ice cream together. Fans were pulling their hair out over Culpepper's style of play and how out of control he was.

Christmas 2009 came and Caracter became eligible against OU. He. Ate. Them. Up. UTEP beat a solid UAB squad at home, won the crown and all was forgotten and forgiven, so to speak.
We have different opinions on this. I never fell into that category. And yes I was on this board for a long time before I started posting.

But to your point and in the end......
As for Barbee goes, some of us could see what he was building (after his 1st recruiting class and at least by year 3) and being from that pedigree it was a good move at the time.

We have different opinions on this. I never fell into that category. And yes I was on this board for a long time before I started posting.

But to your point and in the end......
As for Barbee goes, some of us could see what he was building (after his 1st recruiting class and at least by year 3) and being from that pedigree it was a good move at the time.
And fans loved his players.

It was a shock to the UTEP (history) fan base system. Barbee did have a bit of a chip on his shoulder and his community out reach was lacking.

Yes, he had to rebuild and restock from Sadler’s empty fridge and he started at the high school level and that was very indicative and that was the rub: Literally young guns, unbridled and raw. It upset a good chunk of the Miner base. But progress showed monthly.

And it wasn’t just UTEP fans. Some CUSA coaches didn’t like Barbee’s style as well.

But the past is the past. It’s Golding’s time to shine.

It was a shock to the UTEP (history) fan base system. Barbee did have a bit of a chip on his shoulder and his community out reach was lacking.

Yes, he had to rebuild and restock from Sadler’s empty fridge and he started at the high school level and that was very indicative and that was the rub: Literally young guns, unbridled and raw. It upset a good chunk of the Miner base. But progress showed monthly.

And it wasn’t just UTEP fans. Some CUSA coaches didn’t like Barbee’s style as well.

But the past is the past. It’s Golding’s time to shine.
Why, because he’s black?

I remember it being a very exciting time as a fan.

Reactions: shyminer81
Best recruiter and definitely the most exciting style of play since our last NCAA win. I really miss that offense.

He also tried to reach out to the fans like few coaches before or since. He bought 500 tickets one year to the NMSU game in Cruces. He tied to hand them out to students. I think he could only get takers for half of what he bought ( the apathy has been building for years.) He would walk through the ticket lines during the CBI run and shake hands with all the fans and thank them. He stood in the concourse during football games and greeted fans. He did everything he could to sell himself and his program to the city and fans.

He also tried to reach out to the fans like few coaches before or since. He bought 500 tickets one year to the NMSU game in Cruces. He tied to hand them out to students. I think he could only get takers for half of what he bought ( the apathy has been building for years.) He would walk through the ticket lines during the CBI run and shake hands with all the fans and thank them. He stood in the concourse during football games and greeted fans. He did everything he could to sell himself and his program to the city and fans.
Not to sure about that, only met him once seem very distant. And this was his initial meet and greet.

Creating jobs is not personality, opening oil fields is not personality, having other nations pay there fair share to NATO is not personality I could go on but I won’t get into it with dumba—-.
Good call, don't get into it with anyone that is logical. Just get into it with your fellow Trumpian flatearthers.

Vegas you make me think of Clayton Bigsby. Can we move on now?
True story! An elementary school friend of mine worked on the Chappelle Show and helped write that sketch. He's a Cathedral grad who lived in NY and now works in Burbank for DreamWorks!

What does that have to do with the topic? Absolutely nothing, but I was tired of political chat.

True story! An elementary school friend of mine worked on the Chappelle Show and helped write that sketch. He's a Cathedral grad who lived in NY and now works in Burbank for DreamWorks!

What does that have to do with the topic? Absolutely nothing, but I was tired of political chat.
So am I. But, I'm guilty of losing patience with the Trump cultists. I'll get off the political discourse. Sorry.

In 2016 under Stull, football went 0-12 and basketball 15-17. That year UTEP made 1.99 million in ticket sales. This includes all athletic events but we can assume the majority were for football and basketball.

In 2019 under Senter, football went 1-11 and basketball 17-15. Very similar seasons. We made 1.61 in ticket sales.

So far the numbers show Senter's plan is leading to smaller crowds and lower ticket sales. It will be interesting to see how the numbers of this season stacks up against our last bowl year.

Reactions: MinerManiac
In 2016 under Stull, football went 0-12 and basketball 15-17. That year UTEP made 1.99 million in ticket sales. This includes all athletic events but we can assume the majority were for football and basketball.

In 2019 under Senter, football went 1-11 and basketball 17-15. Very similar seasons. We made 1.61 in ticket sales.

So far the numbers show Senter's plan is leading to smaller crowds and lower ticket sales. It will be interesting to see how the numbers of this season stacks up against our last bowl year.
Do you mean higher ticket prices?

I wonder if the Miners will take a lesser tournament and price all seats at $10 like they once did. Created some very good crowds iirc.
The CBI is held at Daytona Beach this year. I would prefer that neutral tournament over gambling with home crowds in the CIT.

The CBI is held at Daytona Beach this year. I would prefer that neutral tournament over gambling with home crowds in the CIT.
I believe the CIT is no more but a new tournament, Eraced I believe its called, will be held with 32 teams. Not sure if participant sites will be used.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT