ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Basketball Ticket Prices

Come on man you can't compare a team that in the last decade has made 8 NCAA tournaments, 9 conference finals and won at least 23 games or more in 9 occasions to a team with zero NCAA appearances, 0 conference championships and only one season with more than 23 wins. Oh wait, we're the latter team. Yeah I don't know wtf Senter is thinking.

I don't know what people don't understand about this. D1 sports is a business. It's all about revenue. This is not minor league sports. I've been highly critical al of Senter, but on ticket prices I agree with him fully. Even if the ticket prices are lower how many more people are going to show up at basketball games. I think at the most maybe 1200 but most likely a couple 100. There is absolutely no point to lowering prices and halfing your revenue to get a few 100 more people in the building. We are probably making more revenue now than 10 years ago when we averaged 8,000 a game. When can't cater to El Paso's whiny poor population. We tried for decades it doesn't work. They'll just demand cheaper tickets and concessions it's s never ending race to the bottom with dwindling revenue. If you want to go to the game pay the price.

I don't know what people don't understand about this. D1 sports is a business. It's all about revenue. This is not minor league sports. I've been highly critical al of Senter, but on ticket prices I agree with him fully. Even if the ticket prices are lower how many more people are going to show up at basketball games. I think at the most maybe 1200 but most likely a couple 100. There is absolutely no point to lowering prices and halfing your revenue to get a few 100 more people in the building. We are probably making more revenue now than 10 years ago when we averaged 8,000 a game. When can't cater to El Paso's whiny poor population. We tried for decades it doesn't work. They'll just demand cheaper tickets and concessions it's s never ending race to the bottom with dwindling revenue. If you want to go to the game pay the price.
Bingo

A lot of those people running concessions are doing so as a fundraiser also.

I completely understand what you're saying. My question is how can NMSU afford to do it in the same market as UTEP? If I'm a neutral fan (a military family or new resident of the area) and can go see a program that has had more success than us and will cost less, I might go watch NMSU despite the drive. Part of business is understanding supply and demand and price elasticity principles.

I completely understand what you're saying. My question is how can NMSU afford to do it in the same market as UTEP? If I'm a neutral fan (a military family or new resident of the area) and can go see a program that has had more success than us and will cost less, I might go watch NMSU despite the drive. Part of business is understanding supply and demand and price elasticity principles.
Great question. UTEP can afford to do it too. I’m in the camp that Senter is charging too much. Cost doesn’t and wouldn’t affect me personally, however I think it is alienating some folks that would otherwise show up. To take a family of 4 to a game is not within reach for many an El Pasoan as prices stand now.

Id love to see the Don roaring again. That will take two things in my opinion. Winning and decreasing ticket prices. The winning part is showing some signs of promise.

I would like to see proof of this. Regardless if it's a business or not imo the most important thing is winning and creating hell for opposing teams. I rather see the Don as a fortress where teams know it will be a full house than know Senter made an extra thousand dollars.

Great question. UTEP can afford to do it too. I’m in the camp that Senter is charging too much. Cost doesn’t and wouldn’t affect me personally, however I think it is alienating some folks that would otherwise show up. To take a family of 4 to a game is not within reach for many an El Pasoan as prices stand now.

Id love to see the Don roaring again. That will take two things in my opinion. Winning and decreasing ticket prices. The winning part is showing some signs of promise.
Imo winning isn't going to be enough anymore. UTEP football had it's first winning season since 14 and had 10k for senior night. Until we start seeing athletic buildings go up, what exactly are we doing with all the extra revenue we're getting from gatekeeping 70% of the El Paso market?

Reactions: picks up
Treading water.

The bandwagon fans will jump back on the next time UTEP challenges for a conference title again. They always have.
We'll see. It wasn't that long ago that an 11-6 team would be guaranteed to draw 8k+ and NMSU 10-12k. Now we're drawing half of that.

How do you guys that go to the games feel about shutting down the top level until it’s even needed. Let that bottom level fill up! From everyone I have spoken to it’s like watching paint dry in the DHC right now. How would you guys feel about it’s impact on the energy inside?

Reactions: kickballpro
Imo winning isn't going to be enough anymore. UTEP football had it's first winning season since 14 and had 10k for senior night. Until we start seeing athletic buildings go up, what exactly are we doing with all the extra revenue we're getting from gatekeeping 70% of the El Paso market?
Football attendance was down because we shit the bed against UTSA. We had 32,000 for that game and laid an egg. We lost 5 of the last six games and alot of momentum. Is it painful to see 10k for a game? Absolutely Would I lower ticket prices to get a bigger crown? Absolutely not. We have talked about UTEP deficiencies in conference realignment for months really years. Where we lack is revenue and capital investment. We have catered to El Paso's poverty row for decades. You know what it got it us some attendance but no revenue. Is poverty row going to donate to UTEP? NO. Is poverty row going buy premium seats? NO. Is poverty row going to pay for premium parking? NO. Build up your product on the field/court and people will pay the price. I think alot of people are forgetting attendance is irrelevant especially for hoops. 4200 for a 10-8 team in a one bid league is a good number. It's about getting the maximum number of dollars per sold seat possible. If we want to have poverty games I have no problem having cheap games for one game a year against fcs teams in football and the two games against d2 teams UTEP tries to act like are real games in basketball.

Reactions: SAMINERGIRL
Football attendance was down because we shit the bed against UTSA. We had 32,000 for that game and laid an egg. We lost 5 of the last six games and alot of momentum. Is it painful to see 10k for a game? Absolutely Would I lower ticket prices to get a bigger crown? Absolutely not. We have talked about UTEP deficiencies in conference realignment for months really years. Where we lack is revenue and capital investment. We have catered to El Paso's poverty row for decades. You know what it got it us some attendance but no revenue. Is poverty row going to donate to UTEP? NO. Is poverty row going buy premium seats? NO. Is poverty row going to pay for premium parking? NO. Build up your product on the field/court and people will pay the price. I think alot of people are forgetting attendance is irrelevant especially for hoops. 4200 for a 10-8 team in a one bid league is a good number. It's about getting the maximum number of dollars per sold seat possible. If we want to have poverty games I have no problem having cheap games for one game a year against fcs teams in football and the two games against d2 teams UTEP tries to act like are real games in basketball.
Absolutely right. Do the math. 8,000 fans at 12 dollars a ticket doesn’t bring in more money then 4500 at 25 a pop. They prefer the smaller crowd paying more. I don’t disagree with the strategy. But if you keep ticket prices at this range you don’t need 10,000 seats for the DHC. Bring everyone closer to the floor, Pack it in and bring some energy back into the building!

Was it really 32k or were 5-10k of those UTSA fans like you had predicted? We were 6-3 going into senior night. When was the last time that happened?

Without numbers it's all hearsay. As far as we know the fans are buying the cheapest tickets possible and sitting in the premium seats since the stadium and arena are 3/4 empty. Kind of defeats the whole purpose of alienating the majority of the El Paso population.

I hate to say this, but El Pasoans want the comfort of a Cadillac at the price of a Hyundai. Things are changing, but it’s a slow process. I get my axe chaffed when I hear the stories of family x going to see the Cowboys at $200 plus ticket but they complain about $15 to see the hometown college team. I am sorry, gone are the days of the $5 ticket with the Price’s milk cap. Miner fans, suck it up, you get what you pay for…Senter is trying to raise the bar.

I hate to say this, but El Pasoans want the comfort of a Cadillac at the price of a Hyundai. Things are changing, but it’s a slow process. I get my axe chaffed when I hear the stories of family x going to see the Cowboys at $200 plus ticket but they complain about $15 to see the hometown college team. I am sorry, gone are the days of the $5 ticket with the Price’s milk cap. Miner fans, suck it up, you get what you pay for…Senter is trying to raise the bar.
Problem is we've been getting a Hyundai at the price of a Cadillac.

I think the product on the court right now is pretty good. I don’t think $15 is unreasonable, in the year 2022, to see a division one men’s college basketball game.

Ye
We'll see. It wasn't that long ago that an 11-6 team would be guaranteed to draw 8k+ and NMSU 10-12k. Now we're drawing half of that.
Years and years of being mediocre and worse will slowly erode away at a fan base. Especially when consistent winning was 3 decades ago and a lot of supporters from that era have gone on to meet their maker.

The fan base needs to be rebuilt slowly over time with new blood in addition to the existing fan base. That will only come with consistent winning (and fair ticket prices) I believe. With that said, I don’t ever think we’ll reach the consistent 10, 11 and 12K+ crowds from way back when. That’s why I’m not opposed to a remodel of the Don, similar in size to the Fertitta Center…or maybe just a tad bigger.

Reactions: Lil_Train
I think the product on the court right now is pretty good. I don’t think $15 is unreasonable, in the year 2022, to see a division one men’s college basketball game.
So we’ve got a “pretty good” product on the court right now, however sparse crowds. Looked at as $15 it isn’t so bad. Looked at as $60…meh, maybe not so good. Maybe there should be a family package deal that when bought in groups of 4, there’s a significant savings. I don’t know. I think it would generate more interest, bigger crowds with negligible, if any, loss in revenue. We need future fans. Most die hards are that because they started going as kids. EP ain’t the richest city. I think Las Cruces is in a similar boat, yet NMSU has figured it out (and I hate saying that).

I guess my point is, even though the Miners are playing good ball, the interest seems to be near all time lows. I honestly think cost plays at least a part for a lot of EP citizens.

How do you guys that go to the games feel about shutting down the top level until it’s even needed. Let that bottom level fill up! From everyone I have spoken to it’s like watching paint dry in the DHC right now. How would you guys feel about it’s impact on the energy inside?
Although I hate how it looks when top levels are shut down, I would be ok with UTEP doing it. Brining people closer together would make for a better environment.

Speaking for the poor in El Paso., there is no way in hell I can take my family at the current prices. We used to go when they were 10.00 in the top section, but do to health issues we need to seat in the mid level seats. My dollars don’t go that far.
Before Covid we would go to most womens games but Senter is trying to price those out of reach also. ( you could sit anywhere, not now) .
So all of you who say shut up and pay, need to try living on 40,000 a year. See how many games you can go to. So take your holier than thou attitude and stop demeaning people who are not as fortunate as yourselves.

Speaking for the poor in El Paso., there is no way in hell I can take my family at the current prices. We used to go when they were 10.00 in the top section, but do to health issues we need to seat in the mid level seats. My dollars don’t go that far.
Before Covid we would go to most womens games but Senter is trying to price those out of reach also. ( you could sit anywhere, not now) .
So all of you who say shut up and pay, need to try living on 40,000 a year. See how many games you can go to. So take your holier than thou attitude and stop demeaning people who are not as fortunate as yourselves.
This sucks because you are a true die hard fan. There are many others that share your situation.

I don’t think Senter has shown any aptitude towards reading the pulse of EP and UTEP’s place in it.

People may disagree but even with the excitement of a new and promising coach, and even if only moderately so, exceeding first year expectations so far, attendance is about the lowest it’s been since early Haskins years.

If you’re a fan, you should be able to support the team you bleed for. Nose bleeds for $8-10. Something. I mean we are kinda wasting…oh about 7500+ seats while our new coach and his team work their asses off night in and night out.

Last edited:
Ok the let’s compare it to present NMSU then

Reactions: MinerFan79
What I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is the degraded schedule. The teams coming to El Paso are generally of little interest to anyone but the most hardcore fans. With the conference situation it's not going to get better. It was quite different in the good old days when BYU, Utah, Wyoming and other good teams were annual visitors.

Add me to those that feel that UTEP is shooting itself in the foot by pricing out the average fan. While I do understand that college athletics is a business, I really have to question how it's good business to continually raise prices on a product that has been mediocre at best and poor at worst. I have a hard time believing that it's good business to cater only to the well heeled older fans to the exclusion of younger fans and families. I get that those older, well healed fans have kept the athletic department afloat for years, but those guys aren't going to live forever. What are we going to do when they're gone and there is no one in the younger generations that gives a damn about Miner athletics? How is it not possible to cater to both the well healed and to the average fan?

I want a family to view going to a Miner game as a legitimate alternative to going to the movies. I want the blue collar guy to be able to afford a ticket, soda, and a hot dog so that he can sit down at the game and cheer on the local team. I certainly hope that the wealthy El Pasoans don't believe that they're above sharing a 12,000 seat arena with such dregs.

Obviously to get the fans and energy back in the Don lower ticket prices are only part of the answer. The Miners, of course, have to win. That family above knows that there's a good chance that if they go to the movies the Avengers will save the day, or the couple will live happily ever after, or that they will laugh, cry, or experience whatever emotion they are expecting from the movie they want to go to. They need to know that there's a good chance that they will watch their team win the game should they choose to go. UTEP also has to do a better (hell, any) job of marketing. I guarantee you that coming into the UTSA football game a very large proportion of the El Paso population had no idea that we were 5-2. That needs to change. And speaking of marketing, what effort is being made to get the students to take advantage of free tickets to the games? Having full student sections in the Don would add a lot energy to the games.

So in order of importance the Miners need to
1. Win,
2. Let everyone know that they're winning, and
3. Make it affordable for fans to see the games.

To me that is good business. Not charging top dollar to the rich elderly die hard supporters while turning your back on everyone else, insuring that you won't have any fans in the future.

To me $14 seems like a very reasonable get in price. That's a family of four for around $60. That's seems like a really good deal. Most theaters now charge around $28 a person to see a movie. UTEP's get in price is half that.

Would dropping the get in price to $10 really get many more people in the door?

To me $14 seems like a very reasonable get in price. That's a family of four for around $60. That's seems like a really good deal. Most theaters now charge around $28 a person to see a movie. UTEP's get in price is half that.

Would dropping the get in price to $10 really get many more people in the door?
$28? I certainly don't go to that theater. I honestly rarely pay more than $10/ticket to go to the movies.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT