ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP bbal commit Raliek Redd

Definitely an interesting commit. I had been clamoring for an experienced JC PG transfer to fill in the gap on next year's team. While the staff did not go in that direction, they did land a commit from a strong combo guard who looks to be able to drive and defend out of prep school. It is difficult to determine Redd's ability to contribute next year based on how little information there is on him online. He did have a stellar career in high school. Apparently, he did have an offer from Cincinnati at one point. However, I am unsure of which schools were currently pursuing him. I also begin to wonder how many guys we sign late. If St. Pierre, Brewer, and now Redd all sign in the late signing period, that means that we will have only four hold overs from last year's team. My gut feeling is that one or two of these new recruits won't end up qualifying.

Reactions: topminer
::sigh::

Another season where I don't even care about our supposed recruiting class. I'll wait till the first game of the season to figure out who's actually PLAYING for the Miners. . Of course, the cycle will repeat the next season when 2/3rd's of our team bails for some powerhouse school in the Rio Grande valley...

Sounds and looks like a classic Floyd recruit. I expect him to 'leave for more playing time' after his freshman year.
Damn Floyd, that is now the empirical, tangible, hard fact reality of his tenure. Natalicio has to....Has. To....ask or assign a small committee this spring or early summer and question if A) The exact reality of "the transfer" in d1 college sports and B) Is that reality something that will now forever plague a program like UTEP, no matter the staff, or is Floyd metastasizing this phenomena at UTEP (that has been going on for thirty to thirty five years) in pressure to build a program to compete against bigger programs?

Reactions: jdubb66
Looks pretty good in his video. His game/style reminds me of Andre Miller. Not especially quick, nor much spring in his hops but tough, strong and heady.

Several red flags come up for me though. Why only the one offer from Cinci? Why no rating from any of the major recruiting sites? Also, he isn't in the team pic for his latest team, Redemtion Christian Academy prep team. Was he booted? Did he quit? Also received no mention about his UTEP offer from his coach, who tweeted about all others who received offers. The timing is kind of like Moore from last year. Very last minute find. Like kickball and USAF alluded to, this reeks of something familiar and uncertain.

Late signing period begins Wednesday, so hopefully we will start to get an idea of the roster.

Looks pretty good in his video. His game/style reminds me of Andre Miller. Not especially quick, nor much spring in his hops but tough, strong and heady.

Several red flags come up for me though. Why only the one offer from Cinci? Why no rating from any of the major recruiting sites? Also, he isn't in the team pic for his latest team, Redemtion Christian Academy prep team. Was he booted? Did he quit? Also received no mention about his UTEP offer from his coach, who tweeted about all others who received offers. The timing is kind of like Moore from last year. Very last minute find. Like kickball and USAF alluded to, this reeks of something familiar and uncertain.
Great points FanatiCoog. It is a bit of a mystery commit. It is a little different from the Moore, Barnes, and Silva signings last year in that these guys all signed Financial Aid agreements AFTER the late signing period ended; they did not sign a NLI. As we know, Silva never made it on the team. In reality, these guys were brought in to fill out the roster (Floyd mentioned this various times during the year). As it turned out none of them will be on the team next year.

However, in the case of Redd, it appears by the timing of the commitment that he will sign a NLI. If so, I think this raises the bar on the expectations of his level of contribution. It could be that he will be a Prop 48 guy, like Wade. If so, he would be paying his own way next year. Again, the timing of this is odd, because the Prop 48 guys usually find spots later on. To me, he seems like too good a player to be a walk-on, but perhaps not quite good enough to bump someone else out. Again, all of this is mere speculation. I guess we will find out more this week.

Damn Floyd, that is now the empirical, tangible, hard fact reality of his tenure. Natalicio has to....Has. To....ask or assign a small committee this spring or early summer and question if A) The exact reality of "the transfer" in d1 college sports and B) Is that reality something that will now forever plague a program like UTEP, no matter the staff, or is Floyd metastasizing this phenomena at UTEP (that has been going on for thirty to thirty five years) in pressure to build a program to compete against bigger programs?
The NCAA 5-8 rule was nick-named the Tim Floyd rule due to his propensity of over-recruiting then sending players elsewhere. Scholarships are for 1 year here at UTEP which I believe is perfectly acceptable from a legal standpoint. From a moral or ethical standpoint...I'm not certain.

RUMOR:

This kid is not a commit, just stupidly announced it for publicity even though UTEP was involved but Floyd or anyone might have never offered the kid.

His Facebook post has been taken down...

Red-flags indeed. Yikes.

He's already gone?
Apparently, according to Bigwood sources, he was never offered, UTEP just contacted him to get a feeler on him, and he pulled a fast one and announced a commitment before he was actually offered just to draw attention in hopes of other offers.

Apparently, according to Bigwood sources, he was never offered, UTEP just contacted him to get a feeler on him, and he pulled a fast one and announced a commitment before he was actually offered just to draw attention in hopes of other offers.

Are Bigwood sources generally in-the-know and reliable?

He's listed as a 2016 grad, so where has he been the last year? Plus, UTEP can't "welcome" him until they receive a signed LOI - they can't publicly comment on any recruits and UTEP sends out a press release. Agree, Bigwood is on point.

Check out the Twitter account that posted he was offered by Cinci.

No followers, and the only tweet.

This kid is cat fishing his own recruiting and may never play college ball because of it.....

Reactions: topminer
He's listed as a 2016 grad, so where has he been the last year? Plus, UTEP can't "welcome" him until they receive a signed LOI - they can't publicly comment on any recruits and UTEP sends out a press release. Agree, Bigwood is on point.
He was at a prep school last year, but yeah he's not even in the D-1 recruiting circle.

It's kind of sad and desperate even though he does have D-1 talent based off his film.

He has been attending Redemption Christian Academy, or at least put their uniform on, or is a damn good graphic artist, or...

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
Wtf is wrong with people? For what? A few minutes of empty "fame"? Are people really that starved for attention?

Definitely an interesting commit. I had been clamoring for an experienced JC PG transfer to fill in the gap on next year's team. While the staff did not go in that direction, they did land a commit from a strong combo guard who looks to be able to drive and defend out of prep school. It is difficult to determine Redd's ability to contribute next year based on how little information there is on him online. He did have a stellar career in high school. Apparently, he did have an offer from Cincinnati at one point. However, I am unsure of which schools were currently pursuing him. I also begin to wonder how many guys we sign late. If St. Pierre, Brewer, and now Redd all sign in the late signing period, that means that we will have only four hold overs from last year's team. My gut feeling is that one or two of these new recruits won't end up qualifying.
That's not correct on the 4 holdover s

Lol everyone was talking crap about this unknown guy and Floyd and he didn't even get a Scholarship lmao. It's understandable Floyd has us all on edge I guess.

Just Barrett and Osborne (who sat out the year coming from Canada). Wade was a 16' recruit but is a prop 48 and was later injured. His status is up the air unless anybody has heard anything. Jones was a prop 48 from 15'.

Not counting this Redd kid, but assuming Brewer and St. Pierre sign on Wednesday, how many holdovers from last year do you have?
The ones that matter will be back,
Harris, Touchet, Willms, Flaggert, Jones, Thomas and maybe Barrett. Osborne already has a scholarship as well and Wade is a Prop48 as was mentioned and Touchet will be a Academic probably and Willms graduates this Summer.

Does this kid technically count as an internet troll? I say yes but maybe more in the gray area because his end goal is a scholarship. Kids do lie on college applications. Hell, President Jared Kushner lied on paper about his Russian connections.

The ones that matter will be back,
Harris, Touchet, Willms, Flaggert, Jones, Thomas and maybe Barrett. Osborne already has a scholarship as well and Wade is a Prop48 as was mentioned and Touchet will be a Academic probably and Willms graduates this Summer.

My point is that we have 13 athletic rides per year that can be filled. Willms is already in graduate school, and will be on athletic scholarship next year so he will count against the total. If we sign two in the late signing period, that means we are projected to have 8 new scholarship players on the team next year (assuming all are eligible). You listed 7 guys who could potentially be back from last year's squad. Obviously, the numbers don't jive. There will need to be more adjustments made to get to the allotted number. As you mentioned, I also think Harris, Touchet, Willms, Flaggert, Thomas and Jones will be back. That means we can add only 7 new players. There's not room for everyone.

Os
My point is that we have 13 athletic rides per year that can be filled. Willms is already in graduate school, and will be on athletic scholarship next year so he will count against the total. If we sign two in the late signing period, that means we are projected to have 8 new scholarship players on the team next year (assuming all are eligible). You listed 7 guys who could potentially be back from last year's squad. Obviously, the numbers don't jive. There will need to be more adjustments made to get to the allotted number. As you mentioned, I also think Harris, Touchet, Willms, Flaggert, Thomas and Jones will be back. That means we can add only 7 new players. There's not room for everyone.
Osborne counts for this year's recruits first off and as I stated Touchet will be an Academic not Athletic, I already got that confirmed.

Os

Osborne counts for this year's recruits first off and as I stated Touchet will be an Academic not Athletic, I already got that confirmed.
Ok. Good news on Touchet. However, Osborne will be on scholarship next year as well, so he counts against our numbers next year. We are still one over. I think the last ride will come down to Wade or Brewer.

Last edited:
Reactions: MineroFanatico
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT