ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Football #1

Dimel stated in his first show that K State won three games his first three years as a grad assistant and one year with zero wins and he is familiar with UTEP's pain. Obviously that is a fact and it wouldn't surprise me if he has the team overachieving this year because it has been done three times before: Stull, Nord, and Price within the last thirty years or so years. Stull moved up. Nord couldn't fill the holes from that great stellar senior class he helped personally build and Kragthorpe from Tulsa was sending Mike Price some roses and a box of chocolates by year two due to UTEP's late season meltdown that sent Tulsa to CUSA championship. Mike Price lost one of UTEP's best defensive coordinators and the wheels fells off after that. Price took UTEP to three bowls but only the Houston Bowl against Colorado was memorable despite the loss. Getting waxed by BYU in Albucracky was not even worth the trip.

Hence my analysis....see La Tech? Do what they do. They have less support, located in a rural town, smaller budget but yet win and compete every year.

Dimel stated in his first show that K State won three games his first three years as a grad assistant and one year with zero wins and he is familiar with UTEP's pain. Obviously that is a fact and it wouldn't surprise me if he has the team overachieving this year because it has been done three times before: Stull, Nord, and Price within the last thirty years or so years. Stull moved up. Nord couldn't fill the holes from that great stellar senior class he helped personally build and Kragthorpe from Tulsa was sending Mike Price some roses and a box of chocolates by year two due to UTEP's late season meltdown that sent Tulsa to CUSA championship. Mike Price lost one of UTEP's best defensive coordinators and the wheels fells off after that. Price took UTEP to three bowls but only the Houston Bowl against Colorado was memorable despite the loss. Getting waxed by BYU in Albucracky was not even worth the trip.

Hence my analysis....see La Tech? Do what they do. They have less support, located in a rural town, smaller budget but yet win and compete every year.
It’s interesting as you mentioned that in the last 30 so years four out of the six newly hired coaches produced a winning season and bowl game by year two or sooner. The other two coaches won 2 and 3 games respectively on their first year as full time HC.

I think that by minimum Dimel will win 2-3 games. But my money is that we will actually overachieve a bit and win 4-5. Hopefully he’s at five w’s for senior day and El Paso can fill up the Sun Bowl with bowl eligibility on the line.

Reactions: HeWore62
It’s interesting as you mentioned that in the last 30 so years four out of the six newly hired coaches produced a winning season and bowl game by year two or sooner. The other two coaches won 2 and 3 games respectively on their first year as full time HC.

I think that by minimum Dimel will win 2-3 games. But my money is that we will actually overachieve a bit and win 4-5. Hopefully he’s at five w’s for senior day and El Paso can fill up the Sun Bowl with bowl eligibility on the line.
From your fingertips, to God's ear. May it be so.

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin

"Getting waxed by BYU in Albucracky was not even worth the trip."

One man's experience: Just before halftime, UTEP is down three scores to BYU ... during a timeout, the Miners' defensive backs are jiving and dancing to stadium music.

That was it. Could not abide that attitude, nor the behavior that goes with it.

I stood up, walked to the parking lot and drove 6 1/2 hours, non-stop straight back to Midland, fuming.

Conclusion: If the players don't give a rip, why should I?

Glad those meatheads are gone. I like this roster of kids much, much better -- and I predict you will, too.

"Getting waxed by BYU in Albucracky was not even worth the trip."

One man's experience: Just before halftime, UTEP is down three scores to BYU ... during a timeout, the Miners' defensive backs are jiving and dancing to stadium music.

That was it. Could not abide that attitude, nor the behavior that goes with it.

I stood up, walked to the parking lot and drove 6 1/2 hours, non-stop straight back to Midland, fuming.

Conclusion: If the players don't give a rip, why should I?

Glad those meatheads are gone. I like this roster of kids much, much better -- and I predict you will, too.

Reactions: HeWore62
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT