ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Football 2020 Schedule Released

Let's assume that UTEP starts 0-4. This would mean that Dimel would then be 0-3 versus NMSU and 2 of those 3 losses would have been at home.

At that point, Dimel would be 0-3 against NMSU and only have 1 total FBS win, even though he is in his 3rd year at the job. At that point, I don't think that anybody with an honest thought could defend Dimel(not even Senter). So if this happens, would Dimel be fired immediately after that NMSU game?, would he be allowed to finish the season?

I guess what I am getting at, is because Dimel performed so poorly in year two against a relatively easy schedule, is Dimel now backed into a corner where he only has 4 games left to save his job?

If so, that might impact on who he selects as QB(I.E. not giving TJ the job), and/or a larger number of more JC's and Grad Transfers that might not be healthy for the program.

Last edited:
Let's assume that UTEP starts 0-4. This would mean that Dimel would then be 0-3 versus NMSU and 2 of those 3 losses would have been at home.

At that point, Dimel would be 0-3 against NMSU and only have 1 total FBS win, even though he is in his 3rd year at the job. At that point, I don't think that anybody with an honest thought could defend Dimel(not even Senter). So if this happens, would Dimel be fired immediately after that NMSU game?, would he be allowed to finish the season?

I guess what I am getting at, is because Dimel performed so poorly in year two against a relatively easy schedule, is Dimel now backed into a corner where he only has 4 games left to save his job?

If so, that might impact on who he selects as QB(I.E. not giving TJ the job), and/or a larger amount of more JC's and Grad Transfers that might not be healthy for the program.
I think what we are really saying is that he must beat NMSU to save his job, because the team has little to no chance of winning any of the first three games on the schedule. I doubt Senter would pull the trigger even with a loss to the Aggies. I don't think he has had any issues firing Stull's hires, but he may not be so anxious get rid of one of his own; even though we all know he should.

Looking at all the predictions on here and Twitter only reaffirms that this is just a wasted year. I don’t see Dimel winning more than a game or two, if that. And I don’t see Dimel coming back in year four.

I wish we could have just hit the reset button at the end of last season.

I think what we are really saying is that he must beat NMSU to save his job, because the team has little to no chance of winning any of the first three games on the schedule. I doubt Senter would pull the trigger even with a loss to the Aggies. I don't think he has had any issues firing Stull's hires, but he may not be so anxious get rid of one of his own; even though we all know he should.

When do you pull the trigger to stop losing money??? Texas Tech might have good attendance, though I doubt it, since Tech tickets will likely be higher than normal. A sparse crowd vs NMSU, with a almost guaranteed 0-3 start, spells doom for attendance the rest of the year. If you don’t draw 30,000 for either Tech or NMSU, you’re not drawing shit to the other 4 home games at 0-4 with Dismel as coach.

When do you pull the trigger to stop losing money??? Texas Tech might have good attendance, though I doubt it, since Tech tickets will likely be higher than normal. A sparse crowd vs NMSU, with a almost guaranteed 0-3 start, spells doom for attendance the rest of the year. If you don’t draw 30,000 for either Tech or NMSU, you’re not drawing shit to the other 4 home games at 0-4 with Dismel as coach.

I hate to admit it but I agree. I went to UTEP during the Lee/Bailey years and I never saw the stands that empty. And it spirals from there. The lack attendance is toxic to the fans who write off the team, toxic to players who play in front of empty stands, and toxic to any recruits that were considering UTEP. I personally wish we had re-assigned Dimel to some Athletic Department position after last season (similar to Mack Brown and Texas) with the hope he would leave on his own after the change and UTEP can attempt to mitigate the damage he had done to the program. It doesn't really solve the problem of getting a new coach because Senter hamstrung us on the contract. But at least it would show some acknowledgement of the problem and trying to address it.

Right now it's like a person who has cancer, but is going to wait 3 years to go get treatment because that's when they can afford it.

I hate to admit it but I agree. I went to UTEP during the Lee/Bailey years and I never saw the stands that empty. And it spirals from there. The lack attendance is toxic to the fans who write off the team, toxic to players who play in front of empty stands, and toxic to any recruits that were considering UTEP. I personally wish we had re-assigned Dimel to some Athletic Department position after last season (similar to Mack Brown and Texas) with the hope he would leave on his own after the change and UTEP can attempt to mitigate the damage he had done to the program. It doesn't really solve the problem of getting a new coach because Senter hamstrung us on the contract. But at least it would show some acknowledgement of the problem and trying to address it.

Right now it's like a person who has cancer, but is going to wait 3 years to go get treatment because that's when they can afford it.
IDK, UAB gets higher-rated recruits consistently then us and they play in front of sparse crowds.

I don’t think anyone is “stressing” about UTEP football. The only ones that should are Senter and the coaching staff. Most are realizing that next year will suck and there is no hope.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Looking at all the predictions on here and Twitter only reaffirms that this is just a wasted year. I don’t see Dimel winning more than a game or two, if that. And I don’t see Dimel coming back in year four.

I wish we could have just hit the reset button at the end of last season.
IMO, we need to fire Senter before we fire Dimel. It is becoming pretty obvious that he has no clue to how hire a decent coach. Quite frankly, Senter has looked totally incompetent as the AD at UTEP, and I would not trust him making another FB coach hire. His formula is not working. He wants a HC that has head coaching experience, but no good former head coach is going to come here for 700k.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
IMO, we need to fire Senter before we fire Dimel. It is becoming pretty obvious that he has no clue to how hire a decent coach. Quite frankly, Senter has looked totally incompetent as the AD at UTEP, and I would not trust him making another FB coach hire. His formula is not working. He wants a HC that has head coaching experience, but no good former head coach is going to come here for 700k.
The shitty part is that other G5 schools in our conference can lure head coaches for 700k or less. What we really don’t need is to pay a b-ball coach 750k for results that can be achieved by a rookie coach making 400k.

Shift 300k to the football salary and let’s see what kind of candidates we can lure in with a million dollar per year salary.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
The shitty part is that other G5 schools in our conference can lure head coaches for 700k or less. What we really don’t need is to pay a b-ball coach 750k for results that can be achieved by a rookie coach making 400k.

Shift 300k to the football salary and let’s see what kind of candidates we can lure in with a million dollar per year salary.

That may the best option, IF you hit big with that coach. If (and that’s a big if) a coach we’re to turn it around you could argue that there will be a massive increase in revenue for the athletic department. BUT if he sucks then we are screwed because there will be no way in hell they pay a buyout.

That may the best option, IF you hit big with that coach. If (and that’s a big if) a coach we’re to turn it around you could argue that there will be a massive increase in revenue for the athletic department. BUT if he sucks then we are screwed because there will be no way in hell they pay a buyout.
From my experience as a UTEP fan the only time we were relevant in football was during the Price early years. That goes to show the quality of coach needed here. I honestly believed Senter was going to bring a known name that was going to ignite the fan base. Two years later both programs are lacking in attendance.

With Stull the excuse was but at least we lead cusa in attendance. With Senter now it’s we make more money with 4K than we do with 8k.

As far as buyout, does it matter. We’re stuck with Dimel and we’re not paying him a huge salary. 5 years at 700k = 3.5 million. 4 years at 1 = 4 million.

I agree with this. I just looked it up and Jans is making $290k at NMSU wtf

https://www.lcsun-news.com/story/sp...tract-basketball-coach-chris-jans/4001963002/

Reactions: JCorona
"We're" not stuck with Dimel. You, I and others can decide to support or not, period. UTEP is stuck with Dimel and on the hook for Dimel's contract.

Dimel will get his money. Dimel can retire. Senter can retire.

The question is, will UTEP football be sustainable as a FBS program? Kugler left is limping and Dimel made no progress this year. We all see what's happening at NMSU with them having to rub two nickles together. They extended Martin's contract. I don't blame them, no one worth their salt wants to go to Las Cruces.

The question is, will UTEP football be sustainable as a FBS program? Kugler left is limping and Dimel made no progress this year. We all see what's happening at NMSU with them having to rub two nickles together. They extended Martin's contract. I don't blame them, no one worth their salt wants to go to Las Cruces.

Apparently no one worth their salt wanted to come here either. Some of you have a superiority complex about them or something. They routinely kick our ass now and even they won a damn bowl game!

I agree with this. I just looked it up and Jans is making $290k at NMSU wtf

https://www.lcsun-news.com/story/sp...tract-basketball-coach-chris-jans/4001963002/

It also says he made $527,000 last season after hitting bonuses and incentives, which is still less than Terry and Floyd. But he sucks because he’s an Aggie! We don’t want to win Conference titles, tournament titles, or make the NCAA. We’re happy paying more and getting less. Chris Jans sucks!!!!!!!

Alot of questionable negotiations are being made at the UTEP athletic department. From coaches salary, to guaranteed buy games at home and on the road. A lot of money being wasted away.

No worries. UTEP has the same old kooks that have been buying season tickets for the last 30 years, that will continue to buy. They’ll just keep raising prices and turn off any new fans. (Unless they like losing)

No worries. UTEP has the same old kooks that have been buying season tickets for the last 30 years, that will continue to buy. They’ll just keep raising prices and turn off any new fans. (Unless they like losing)
I’m getting worn out too. It sucks planning a road game. Saving for it, requesting time off, waiting for the day, and everything else involved only to see the team get humiliated. It’s tiring.

I’m getting worn out too. It sucks planning a road game. Saving for it, requesting time off, waiting for the day, and everything else involved only to see the team get humiliated. It’s tiring.
Thanks for all you do.

Reactions: JCorona
I am going to take a stab in the dark and say that losing our Recruiting Coordinator 3 weeks before signing day is not an ideal situation.

Losing our Recruiting Coordinator to our rival probably also isn't an ideal situation either, as Nealy certainly knows of every kid that we are planning to sign next month and he likely already has some type of relationship with them as well.

It’s embarrassing that we are getting poached by schools that didn’t even have football teams a few years ago.

Same old UTEP. Let’s stick with proven losers while our young bucks are recognized as talented and given opportunities to grow as coaches, elsewhere.

Last edited:
I am going to take a stab in the dark and say that losing our Recruiting Coordinator 3 weeks before signing day is not an ideal situation.

Losing our Recruiting Coordinator to our rival probably also isn't an ideal situation either, as Nealy certainly knows of every kid that we are planning to sign next month and he likely already has some type of relationship with them as well.
Losing any assistant to a conference foe for the same position is not an ideal situation. That's two already.

Apparently after going 2-22, we have good enough assistant coaches to get poached by conference rivals. Including our recruiting coordinator responsible for the awful recruiting classes.

At least these coaches are smart enough to get off the Dismel express before it gets completely derailed.

Apparently after going 2-22, we have good enough assistant coaches to get poached by conference rivals. Including our recruiting coordinator responsible for the awful recruiting classes.

At least these coaches are smart enough to get off the Dismel express before it gets completely derailed.
These guys aren’t leaving cuz we suck. Cuz they’re joining teams that are as bad as us. They’re leaving cuz they don’t want to work with Dimel or they want to work with an up and coming head coach. Either way the writing is on the wall. Those who don’t see it are in a bromance with Dimel.

Not sticking up for the guy, however he is not responsible for WHO is being or has been recruited. Most coaches on the staff are given regions and they go recruit those areas. A coordinator coordinates official and unofficial visits, does most of the administrative leg work associated with recruiting, communicates issues with the recruiting process, deals with eligibility issues, etc. Even though “recruiting” is in his title, he’s probably the least responsible for which recruits land on campus.

Reactions: UTEPDefense
If I am not mistaken, this will now be Dimel's 3rd different Recruiting Coordinator in 3 years......is there a problem here causing that? Or does UTEP maybe not pay enough for that position to keep people?

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
If I am not mistaken, this will now be Dimel's 3rd different Recruiting Coordinator in 3 years......is there a problem here causing that? Or does UTEP maybe not pay enough for that position to keep people?

If I am not mistaken, they added a couple of new positions when Dimel was hired. I’m no accountant but I can’t imagine they pay very much, especially if the revenue isn’t coming in. And if you’re making trash money, why not go somewhere else for maybe more responsibility and maybe the same if not better pay?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT