ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP in Basketball Classic

It's supposed to bracketed the way the NIT used to, ie no actual bracket and your next opponent is determined after the first round. Given that, I'd expect a regional opponent in the first round, and I'm guessing maybe Southern Utah or Weber St.

Stanford or Oklahoma State would be cool.

Middle Tennessee and Rice in the CBI

UNT and probably LA Tech in the NIT

NIT does automatically invite conference regular season champs snubbed by NCAA so if no NCAA for UNT, it will be NIT.

Last edited:
Stanford or Oklahoma State would be cool.

Middle Tennessee and Rice in the CBI

UNT and probably LA Tech in the NIT
I think Middle Tennessee should get an NIT bid for winning the east and the season they had, but probably won't. Also the CIT didn't choose teams with losing records, so I think this guy is wrong on some of the teams.

Reactions: axingfools1
It's supposed to bracketed the way the NIT used to, ie no actual bracket and your next opponent is determined after the first round. Given that, I'd expect a regional opponent in the first round, and I'm guessing maybe Southern Utah or Weber St.

That is the CBI, mentioned in your post. Not the new rebranded CIT.

I got mixed up as well and had to look it up.

Reactions: nattybry
Are they having trouble finding 32 teams?
Yeah it's a pretty late announcement. I just checked and there's plenty of teams with winning records left, so not sure if teams are declining or they're just getting everything sowed up late.

Okie state is listed on there. I thought they were banned from post season

It'll be announced tomorrow apparently. Idk, but have a feeling we'll be facing Sam Houston St. if they're included.

Last edited:
Tomorrow is our first game and over the half the bracket is still missing. Won't be surprised if this ends up being a 16 team tournament. Still think they should have gone for the more established CBI.

Tomorrow is our first game and over the half the bracket is still missing. Won't be surprised if this ends up being a 16 team tournament. Still think they should have gone for the more established CBI.
Yeah you may be right, but it's basically the CIT that's been running for a bit except last year, just changed the name.

Looks to be 16 and the teams are pretty weak. Depends on the mindset of the team, but I'd say it's between UTEP and Fresno

Last edited:
This tournament seems very disorganized. Do they even have a Twitter page or website or anything?

Reactions: nattybry
16 teams it appears like so far with 3 with losing records. So I definitely think CBI would've been better, but I guess UTEP didn't wanna pay $50,000 and wanted a home game. I'm not that excited to be honest, but I'll watch and hope for a UTEP vs Fresno St. Final I guess

Reactions: JCorona
16 teams it appears like so far with 3 with losing records. So I definitely think CBI would've been better, but I guess UTEP didn't wanna pay $50,000 and wanted a home game. I'm not that excited to be honest, but I'll watch and hope for a UTEP vs Fresno St. Final I guess
I imagine we have to pay to host. If UTEP thinks this is 2008 and we're gonna get 10k in attendance, they’re in for a rude awakening.

We are less than 32 hours away from the tournament and still don't have an announced opponent. This is getting concerning. Maybe we should have just went to the CBI

Reactions: MinerFan79
We don't pay a fee to host, but the ticket sales
goes to the Tournament not UTEP.
That is correct. UTEP hopes to make money on concessions and alcohol. If UTEP gets a Fresno State or similar I can see 7k up to 8k.

These schools are coming out of Covid and we all saw on TV CUSA teams playing in empty event centers and stadiums. That hurts the bottom line.

A tight budget will have many AD’s saying“Niet” this year.

That is correct. UTEP hopes to make money on concessions and alcohol. If UTEP gets a Fresno State or similar I can see 7k up to 8k.

These schools are coming out of Covid and we all saw on TV CUSA teams playing in empty event centers and stadiums. That hurts the bottom line.

A tight budget will have many AD’s saying“Niet” this year.
7-8K? Nah

Reactions: JCorona
That's a long way from El Paso. They need to get on a flight like 1hr ago.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT