ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP LA Tech Game Thread

I don't get people complaining about the offense. The offensive strategy is perfect for this team. The strength of the team is the D-line. They dominate the line of scrimmage. If you want to screw this team up throw the ball around get quick three and out and don't dominate time of possession. The only way this team loses if the defense had to be out out on the field all the time. Then they get tired they don't get a pass rush and the other teams offense scores. With this team if you control time of possession and keep the defense fresh we win. You play to the strength of your team. That's what we're doing.
Because they want to complain about something since it’s Dimel.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
Of course we will coming from the guy that has expected us to lose every game up to now....

Yup. I expected us to go 1-whatever at the beginning of the season. And despite coming into tonight's LaTech game 5-1 as the "better of the shittiest" teams I expected us to lose to LaTech.

Well, we won. I'm pretty sure I remember you yourself saying something about circumstances changing your mind? Apologies if you never posted anything of the sort. I'm old and I sometimes think I forgot something I actually never knew about.

I'm pretty sure though that I posted something about no longer calling Dimel "Dismel" if we beat LaTech and UTSA. Well, we beat LaTech.

I now enter a twilight zone of my own making waiting to see if we can beat a very good UTSA team.

Last edited:
Which was done in the last year due to a lack of results. Shame but the fan base was not(as evidenced here) willing for a bottom up build. Oh well.

Which was done in the last year due to a lack of results. Shame but the fan base was not(as evidenced here) willing for a bottom up build. Oh well.
Dimel strategy in recruiting since he started was to hit JCs hard, like they did at KSU. I have no problem with where he finds his guys as long as they produce. He definitely hit some gems on that defense. With the nature of the transfer portal, building a team the "right way", especially at a school like UTEP, can't be just high school guys anymore. Same goes with basketball.

I have a bad ass video of the players and fans celebrating on the concourse. Hit me up on Twitter I'll send it to you.

About parking shut the fu*k up. My friend gave me his parking pass across the Don Haskins on Sun Bowl drive. He had already used and scanned. All I said was that's weird that's my pass I haven't used it. He said ok I see your ticket go ahead and park.

UTEP is very Juco heavy, especially on defense.
Although Dimel has been heavy with Juco players, many of these guys have been immediate and key contributors. Kugler left the team in disarray and we needed immediate help. JUCO players are considered riskier because many don’t make the transition to FBS football or have issues with grades, attitude, or don’t stick around. Dimel brought in several Juco‘s with three years of eligibility who made the transition to FBS, took care of academics and have stuck around. Dimel and staff deserve credit for evaluating talent and finding hidden gems like Praise, Stewart, Moss, and Garrett. I want him to build this program the right way with HS players and a few key transfer players and Juco’s. So far these Juco’s have panned out and this team has added depth, which was a huge problem. I think UTEP would have won at least 6 games last year had COVID not been a factor. Dimel asked for 5 years and he’s ahead of schedule. While I’m not a fan of Dimel’s offensive play calling, the team is winning and appears to have turned the corner.

It’s great to beat a team like latech in a convincing way. Many of their fans thought latech would blow out the Miners and thought we were a joke. Had we not turned the ball over four times this should have been a 30+ plus victory.

Dimel knows what he's doing. He knows we can't blow teams out with our offense. The more aggressive we are the more likely we turn it over.

As mad as everyone is cuz of our offense they would be even more pissed if we lost.

I doubt anyone recognizes that. They just want to complain cuz we're not Alabama or whoever the f the #1 team in the county is right now.

Dimel knows what he's doing. He knows we can't blow teams out with our offense. The more aggressive we are the more likely we turn it over.

As mad as everyone is cuz of our offense they would be even more pissed if we lost.

I doubt anyone recognizes that. They just want to complain cuz we're not Alabama or whoever the f the #1 team in the county is right now.
UTEP D line is performing like a top tier P5 line. Can they maintain?

Reactions: kickballpro

I complain because our offense quits in games they play a half, a quarter but haven't played close to complete game. Tonight it was the defense that overwhelmed La Tech. BTW, we played conservative by running for two to three yards a play and still turned it over 4 times. I guess we should just punt on first down from now on.

I complain because our offense quits in games they play a half, a quarter but haven't played close to complete game. Tonight it was the defense that overwhelmed La Tech. BTW, we played conservative by running for two to three yards a play and still turned it over 4 times. I guess we should just punt on first down from now on.
We've discussed Hardison's lack of ball protection, accuracy, and escape abilities. If our RBs who are trained to hold on to the ball and take big hits fumbled, what do you think would have happened if LA Tech's D hit Hardison while he's in the pocket? We're talking about fumbles, bad throws into coverage, or even worst case scenario, an injury.

Yes you have a point we should be more aggressive and very soon we're going to be forced into it. Then we will see if Dimel was right for being conservative or if the fans know his team better.

I personally don't care about yards or blowing out teams, not yet. I know some of you guys have been spoiled with UTEP's amazing potent unstoppable offensive display the last five years. I've watched something else. I think it's called reality.

As long as we have at least one more point than the opposing team when the clock hits zero, I'm happy.

After wins, some coaches talk about how the team could be better, or they have to work on this or that after wins. Why can’t fans do the same? It’s okay to be happy, but still concerned about a few things that could be improved.

We beat LaTech in the Sun Bowl, not Clemson or LSU at their house.

After wins, some coaches talk about how the team could be better, or they have to work on this or that after wins. Why can’t fans do the same? It’s okay to be happy, but still concerned about a few things that could be improved.

I agree with this. With that said, that was as solid of a win as we’ve had during the Dimel era.

I am amazed at the defensive prowess, but I too am concerned that the D can’t do it alone.

Our first two drives showed we have the capability. Seems we are content to shut it down fairly early in the game. That concerns me. Anyway.

It's annoying to always have something negative to say. We bit*h cuz we wouldn't win games. We win games. We b*tch cuz they're shitty teams. We beat a team many said we couldn't. We bi*tch cuz we didn't blow them out.

At what point do we stop moving the goal post and realize this is Dimel’s ball? The same coach every one on this board wanted fired. Give him some credit instead of always having shit to say.

But when over the last 15 years could we win over La Tech or similar teams. This team is the best we seen in a long time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT