ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP mbb 2018-19 #BlueCollarMentality

MineroFanatico

MI Miner Maniac
Sep 11, 2015
It was suggested that perhaps it was time to start a new mbb thread.

If the title lacks creativity, feel free to start something in place of this one. I just noticed nobody had done it as of yet and I liked HeWore62’s idea.

I have minimal expectations for the upcoming season but I think I’ve said this much several times before. I’d like to see the guys play loose and unafraid to make mistakes. Maybe even having some fun! I’d like to see them play hard and hustle all 40. And I’d like to see a team that develops chemistry and improves dramatically from season’s start to season’s finish. Anything else is gravy, imo.

It was suggested that perhaps it was time to start a new mbb thread.

If the title lacks creativity, feel free to start something in place of this one. I just noticed nobody had done it as of yet and I liked HeWore62’s idea.

I have minimal expectations for the upcoming season but I think I’ve said this much several times before. I’d like to see the guys play loose and unafraid to make mistakes. Maybe even having some fun! I’d like to see them play hard and hustle all 40. And I’d like to see a team that develops chemistry and improves dramatically from season’s start to season’s finish. Anything else is gravy, imo.
I think we probably are all very satisfied with the talent that Coach Terry was able to land considering the late start. We know that we'll be short on depth with only seven scholly players, but we also know that there's been a ton of successful teams that are only seven or eight deep. I'm thinking it's not beyond belief that we could be surprised with a winning season IF 1) the freshmen develop quick resulting from playing major minutes. 2) 1 or 2 non-schollys step up, like
Jakobe Dill and Garrett Sullivan .. look at their HS stats. 3) Paul Thomas has to finally contribute something other than fouls.
I am and always have been the dreaming optimist. I think this season has hope and if nothing else consider the ground work for 2019. That's gonna be more fun than a hot fudge sundae in July.

By all accounts, Magee has had a great off season, so hopefully that will carry over this season. He is likely our best three point shooter. His defense will need to improve dramatically from last year. I thought Gilyard developed down the stretch last year as the go to guy offensively, which is remarkable for a guy his size. He will need to share the ball better instead of forcing too many bad shots. As crazy as it sounds, I could see both of those guys playing at the same time, especially while the younger guys adapt to D1 ball.

Inside, I wish we could have added at least one more guy for depth purposes. It is going to be a big challenge for the two big freshman to adjust to defending at this level. It will definitely be iron man basketball for the seven scholarship players, but as mentioned, there will need to be some contributions from the walkons as well.

I think we probably are all very satisfied with the talent that Coach Terry was able to land considering the late start. We know that we'll be short on depth with only seven scholly players, but we also know that there's been a ton of successful teams that are only seven or eight deep. I'm thinking it's not beyond belief that we could be surprised with a winning season IF 1) the freshmen develop quick resulting from playing major minutes. 2) 1 or 2 non-schollys step up, like
Jakobe Dill and Garrett Sullivan .. look at their HS stats. 3) Paul Thomas has to finally contribute something other than fouls.
I am and always have been the dreaming optimist. I think this season has hope and if nothing else consider the ground work for 2019. That's gonna be more fun than a hot fudge sundae in July.

If he controls that this year, he will have a good year. You can't have a good year sitting most of the game with three fouls because the coach needs you down the stretch. Look, Thomas has the problem of a certain aspect of baller mentality: The guards want to play like or up against a big man and vice versa. If CRT can psychologically get Thomas to accept his role and use his feet better, '18-'19 can be special, but don't hold your breath.

Hawkins has my ears perked up. I haven't read or heard stuff this exciting about an incoming freshman since the Vince Hunter days. If he a splash year like Vince did his first year, CRT will have the DHC rocking again. Vince didn't sell out the DHC, but he put thousands more in the seats.

Reactions: miner1liner
An extra experienced big man would have been great for this year, but it looks a little too late now. Our two bigs are BIG, but inexperienced. Foul trouble and learning curve will be an issue. PT has to help out here.

Our four guards are young, but they will be just fine. Gilyard will gain more experience in leading this team into next season and beyond hopefully. McGee is smooth on offense and will hopefully kill it from 3. Both are smart and work hard. Hawkins and Lathon are touted. They can both handle the ball and find ways to score. Our next star player could be in this group.

PT will be the key to keeping this team going forward. Literally, he will HAVE to play big. If he continues to foul or not show up on D, then the season could be pretty rough. If he leads by scoring, rebounding, being aggressive and playing smart, then this team could actually thrive.

Lack of depth and size on the wing will hurt, especially on D. CUSA will be tougher from top to bottom. I think we will score, but do we have a shut down defender? Maybe one of the walkons will suprise us and fill in at the wing position from time to time.

2019: Add a strong PF, a shot blocking perimeter forward, another savvy scoring guard, two dynamic wings and possibly two more players to fill any need. We will possibly have no seniors and a better idea regarding all of our freshman from this year.

The future looks bright and this gives me even more reason to be excited about 2018, win or lose. There is really something to look forward too this time around.

Last edited:
I like that our bigs are being thrown into the fire. I do think they’ll go through growing pains but I also think it will prepare them for the 2019 season in a way that playing only 5-10 minutes a game can’t do.

While I don’t have any expectations in terms of the W-L column this season, I am REALLY looking forward to this season and beyond. I agree axingfools, the future looks bright.

I like that our bigs are being thrown into the fire. I do think they’ll go through growing pains but I also think it will prepare them for the 2019 season in a way that playing only 5-10 minutes a game can’t do.

While I don’t have any expectations in terms of the W-L column this season, I am REALLY looking forward to this season and beyond. I agree axingfools, the future looks bright.
If Lathon is as good as advertised this year may be ok. Northwestern already had him penciled in as a potential starter.

Reactions: mikesarabia
Something nobody has mentioned is that the starters will be facing four transfers in practice that are as good or better than any starters on any CUSA team. CRT will be playing "small ball." I think Paul Thomas will spend time playing at the 5 spot. I am anticipating an 18 win regular season with an invite to the CBI.

Something nobody has mentioned is that the starters will be facing four transfers in practice that are as good or better than any starters on any CUSA team. CRT will be playing "small ball." I think Paul Thomas will spend time playing at the 5 spot. I am anticipating an 18 win regular season with an invite to the CBI.

I agree that we may have no choice, in certain instances, but to play "small ball" this year, for better or worse. If our players can adapt, and Coach Terry has us outrunning and outgunning the opponents, who knows? Whatever the case, we will have to shoot better consistently.

Last edited:
Reactions: axingfools1

I really have to disagree with that... I bet you I could find about 2-3 starters just from wku that could be better than all of our transfers--- they are good but I seriously doubt they are all better than any cusa starters now

Reactions: El Paso Is Great

If that is true UTEP would win the CUSA tournament and play in the NCAA tournament.

it may very well be true and we wont know until next season... and as much as I would love for that to be true it is in my opinion highly unlikely

Reactions: El Paso Is Great
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT