ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP-UTSA Football Game Moved to ESPN2, 8:15 p.m. Kickoff on Nov. 6

“Hey look at what we bring to the table, when we’re 6-1 and the other team is undefeated and in the Top 25”. UNM had 15k and Nevada had 10k when they last played here. 1 game doesn’t make up for the last 10 years.

Absolutley.

But if you're gonna gamble on 1 game, this is it.

Senter needs to take the L on the Profit and let everyone in cheap. He needs a Fireworks show, a Halftime Show, he needs a rockin atmosphere, the stage is set, a ranked team in your stadium with a National Broadcast.

Senter should be fired if he can't produce.

I don't even remember the UTEP players from 10 years ago and I suppose to remember who was on their teams. All I know it was a great crowd and felt like an all star game.
You’re entitled to your opinion. Nobody misses this game and nobody cared when it left.

You’re entitled to your opinion. Nobody misses this game and nobody cared when it left.
Who the hell said all that? All I said is that kickball's example of the MLS executives reminded me of that. I don't know what fancy pants were in town for that game. They expected a sell out and El Paso didn't show up.

Absolutley.

But if you're gonna gamble on 1 game, this is it.

Senter needs to take the L on the Profit and let everyone in cheap. He needs a Fireworks show, a Halftime Show, he needs a rockin atmosphere, the stage is set, a ranked team in your stadium with a National Broadcast.

Senter should be fired if he can't produce.

I wouldn’t go that far. Especially if they lose to FAU on Saturday. He should try some things to get more people in there, but firing him because 30,000 don’t show up, is a little overboard.

If the game had “cheap tickets”, 7pm kickoff, good weather, not going up against a big fight, and against an opponent El Paso “cares” about, maybe that’s a big failure.

I guarantee that only Minerforlife circled this game as “must see” before the season started.

Reactions: kickballpro
I stated last week that UTSA will bring 3-5k fans for this game. I'm sticking with that.

Beat FAU and that's all the promotion you'll need.

Fact. UTEP has the best Texas fans of any non p5 school. They always sho.
UTEP does show up for games in big Texas cities. They have a lot of “alumni” in those areas. The other schools never show up here, probably because they have few “alumni” here.

Larry Fitsgerald played in Texas vs the Nation.

Larry Fitzgerald was drafted in 2004.

Texas vs the nation wasn't established until 2007.

He was the third pick in the draft.

Texas vs the nation was for players who would go updrafted or maybe in the seventh round to get attention.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
I went to a UTSA NMSU game a few years back there were quite a lot of UTSA fans at the game in Cruces and at that time the team sucked
Would you say 1/3 of them were UTSA fans?

5k is alot of people. They would occupy all of sections 25 and 26 from top to bottom. Has any G5 school ever brought that kind of fans vs UTEP?

I've never heard of 3-5k UTSA fans going down the road to RICE. I'll stick with 300-500.
You can probably triple that and it might be short. The hype in San Antonio is building and there's a big push for fans to make the trip. They have 2 weeks to think about this game, and now knowing it's going to be on National TV is another carrot on a stick.

Reactions: MinerFan79
Since they joined CUSA this is most traveled to away game for their fans and vice versa for our fans.

In their first year in CUSA 2013 they brought thousands to the Sun Bowl. With a top 25 five ranking and two weeks to prepare they will bring thousands.

Reactions: Riburn3
You can probably triple that and it might be short. The hype in San Antonio is building and there's a big push for fans to make the trip. They have 2 weeks to think about this game, and now knowing it's going to be on National TV is another carrot on a stick.
1500 sounds a bit more realistic. 5k I won't believe it until I see it.

We took a big crowd from Austin to Dallas earlier this year for soccer and all of us there thought there was like 3-5k of us. But the club only bought 1k visitor tickets to our section.

Since they joined CUSA this is most traveled to away game for their fans and vice versa for our fans.

In their first year in CUSA 2013 they brought thousands to the Sun Bowl. With a top 25 five ranking and two weeks to prepare they will bring thousands.
Come on man. Don't you think some of us were at that game there too. I know I was right in the middle of them since my season tickets used to be in section 24. They didn't have thousands, maybe hundreds.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Come on man. Don't you think some of us were at that game there too. I know I was right in the middle of them since my season tickets used to be in section 24. They didn't have thousands, maybe hundreds.
Hard to say since they copied our colors.

Reactions: Cube Jack
This now being a nationally televised game, you can bet the announcers will spend a great deal of time talking about the breakup of C-USA. That and continuously referring to UTEP as Utah. :rolleyes:

Reactions: mikesarabia
Yes, thousands is a gross exaggeration. They traveled poorly to the NM Bowl back when also.

Reactions: JCorona
UTEP FB impressed me with their 1st quarter offense and entire game of defense against La Tech, but I'm still not convinced. That's me and that's my prerogative. La Tech got destroyed by UTSA so that win for UTEP is now a shoulder shrug. Dimel's conservative approach just makes me cringe because I know it's gonna burn him and the team. He even said himself that it worries him so WTF I don't know?

The FAU game will tell us a LOT more. They are coming off a lop-sided win and it will be an east coast game for us ahead of coming back vs UTSA. Not truly a trap game since UTEP is a 2 TD dog, but a loss will definitely spurn any fan momentum heading into the UTSA game. A win could do wonders, but let's not jump ahead of ourselves here. One game at a time.

UTEP FB impressed me with their 1st quarter offense and entire game of defense against La Tech, but I'm still not convinced. That's me and that's my prerogative. La Tech got destroyed by UTSA so that win for UTEP is now a shoulder shrug. Dimel's conservative approach just makes me cringe because I know it's gonna burn him and the team. He even said himself that it worries him so WTF I don't know?

The FAU game will tell us a LOT more. They are coming off a lop-sided win and it will be an east coast game for us ahead of coming back vs UTSA. Not truly a trap game since UTEP is a 2 TD dog, but a loss will definitely spurn any fan momentum heading into the UTSA game. A win could do wonders, but let's not jump ahead of ourselves here. One game at a time.
Maybe DD’s been saving some offensive trickeration.

• Haha
Reactions: develman
Would you say 1/3 of them were UTSA fans?

5k is alot of people. They would occupy all of sections 25 and 26 from top to bottom. Has any G5 school ever brought that kind of fans vs UTEP?
5k would be high but they were there. Imagine how they will travel to be on National TV with a ranked 8-0 record

At the 1:50 minute mark you can see the visitors section. I don't believe they have anywhere close to 100. Assuming 500 of them are in the concurse that's still far from 1k fans.

I was at the game. They were all over sections one and two. Just wait there are bus loads of them heading to El Paso.

I was at the game. They were all over sections one and two. Just wait there are bus loads of them heading to El Paso.
Ok. 9 buses equals 600 people. That's how many buses we took from Austin to Frisco. If they bring 50 busses then I'm beyond impressed.

I don’t know if I’ve ever said how slow he is. I’ve certainly alluded to him not being a burner. He’s a bruiser. I think it’s a good one two punch with him and Awatt.

Why? You think he’s fast?
I've said I think he looks slow. I think he bulked up too much and in doing so sacrificed his speed which was never elite to begin with.

Larry Fitzgerald was drafted in 2004.

Texas vs the nation wasn't established until 2007.

He was the third pick in the draft.

Texas vs the nation was for players who would go updrafted or maybe in the seventh round to get attention.
I guess you're right. I could have sworn he played in it. But I know for a fact that Danny Amendola and Pierre Garcon played in it.

Looks like the Loco game was moved to Friday.
Smart move. This is going to be the most hyped UTEP game since the 2004 game vs UAB where we could've clinched the division. We've played power five schools at home since then ( Tech, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and Arizona.) The hype for those games was more about the opponent than it was UTEP. We haven't had a game with as much riding on it since UAB game in 2004. It would completely overshadow a minor league soccer game in a minor league baseball stadium.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT